Incoming.... 71 Marshall Super Tremolo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Lespaulsignature 74, Dec 17, 2009.

1. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Hey.... finally after many years of playing and many amps later, my first "real" Marshall amp is on the way! I have a Germino Classic 45...great amp but I've always wanted a genuine Vintage Marshall. Other than hearing from most that I will need an attenuator...what can you Vintage Marshall Super Lead/Tremolo owners tell me about this amp. How is it voiced? Is it similar to a Plexi? Hendrix/Page/Clapton-(Cream era) tones? I hear it has great cleans and also great crunch and overtones.

The main cabs I'll be using with this are a Slant/Germino 4x12 with G12H30 Anniv. mixed with V30's or.... a Straight/Germino 4x12 with Scumback M75-30 watters mixed with older G12H30 Anniversary with 6402 cones. Both of these cabs are rated for 120 watts, will this be enough to handle the Super Trem.?

Talk to me...tell me what to expect besides my neighbors and the police knocking on my door...! Thanks

2. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

You'll need an attenuator set down at least 1 click with your 4x12, and I'd recommend 2 clicks with that 71 SL...I have one (no tremolo), I know.

Alex Attenuator, Faustine Phantom, etc.

3. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

So you got Gavin's? That looked like a nice amp.

You will need an attenuator.

I'd say that the tone will be a little cleaner than the SL with the trem in line. The trem reduces gain a smidge. The Super Bass is a little cleaner and fuller still. They're all very close though and can morph into one another with a few reversible mods.

I like the cleans and crunch sounds so much. The 100 watters have a girth that isn't there on their little brothers. Plus there's enough headroom so that the distortion comes on nice and even through the travel of the Volume pot. This coupled with the 4 inputs gives you the ability to add dirt and/or clarity/warmth depending on which of the Volume knobs you turn up, and what input you plug into.

What I mean is that if you're after a warm cleanish tone try the low gain of the "Normal" volume and jump to the low gain of the bright channel. Start wih the volume at say 2 and the bright on 0. Dial in the sound as best you can with the controls- the tone may be too dark for your taste, but fear not...THEN bring up the "Bright" volume and hear the high end come up to where the sound starts to shimmer. Just experiment have fun and listen (don't look). With dirty sounds you can just wind up the knobs from there or you can switch inputs or even hop to the bright Volume as the main channel. That tends to work nice with humbuckers.

Great amp, but they take a little time to figure out how to control.

Best,

Jack

4. jpn

jpn Supporting Member

Please excuse my ignorance on a basic issue, but what is the purpose of the attenuator?

5. DS88

DS88 Member

Attenuators go between the power amp, and the speakers. They're used to have the amp cooking, but reducing the overall volume.

6. Roe

Roe Member

if you want to avoid an attenuator you can run a cab in parallel with a 100+w resistor.
    if the cab is 16ohms you need a 16ohm resistor or load and to run the amp at 8ohms etc

7. jpn

jpn Supporting Member

One last dumb question so as not to sidetrack this thread. If one is looking for a vintage Marshall head, under what circumstances will you need to add the attenuator? Always in order to run it properly? Only if very high wattage? Thanks.

8. reddgeetarzan

reddgeetarzan Supporting Member

This? Coming from a guy who sells speakers??

How long you been using an attenuator Jim?? You didn't strike me as the type!!! I figure you'd really enjoy pissing off the neighbors!!! ;)

9. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

I think Jim is just saying if you're using a 4x12 (120watt) with a 100 watt head (Dimed 180watts) you're going to have problems pretty soon.

But the attenuator set to -3 makes it safe.

10. jackaroo

jackaroo Member

Here here!

or is that Hear Hear?

If you want to enjoy the amp to it's fullest- and be able to hear...you NEED an attenuator.

11. James BCM

James BCM Gold Supporting Member

Congrats. This amp is very loud. As much as I despise attenuators, you'll need one. I ran a Lab Series L11 4 x 12" back in college days with the same head you have coming and it was almost uncontrollable but sounded awesome.

Keep this head. I sold mine for $350.00 when I needed money back then. Stupid, but had no choice.....

Congrats.

LB
    BCM

12. michael.e

michael.e Member

Congrats on that amp!!
    I run an old Superlead in to a 4-12 as my main rig. I have a '72 4-12 that I am WAY stressed about gigging with these big amps. That is an A cab. Instead of getting an attenuator, I picked up a GREAT sounding B cab that is from the HW series from Marshall. It has the killer sounding and most importantly, more replaceable G12H30's.

Best thing about this rig tho.....

I now have a full stack for the first time in my life! :bow

Have not run it in full stack mode yet tho..

13. reddgeetarzan

I know.......I'm just messin' with Jim......

14. reddgeetarzan

Problem is.......if your speakers blow, especially mid song at a gig- you very well could take a transformer or other components out with them......

I have a giggin' rig- but I use over-rated speakers (Jim's HP's & some ASW's) so I don't have to worry about it- same great tone......less lookin' back at my amp to see if its on fire.........and I do have/use an attenuator too!

15. jpn

jpn Supporting Member

I get it completely about the attenuater. Now I'll be gassing for an early Marshall like yours to push one!

16. CADdrafter

CADdrafter Senior Member

is this the Humble Pie "30 Days In The Hole" amp?

17. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

Thank you all for your input and advise, I am stoked about getting this amp and I can't wait to crank it up and hear that classic Marshall crunch! I know I will probably never need to or will dime the amp in a gig situation but it's great knowing it's there if needed. My next quest will be a good attenuator, I am on the 3rd build list for a Faustine but I am also considering an Alex attenuator for half the cost. There is another one that is supposed to be as good or better than the Faustine but I can't remember the builder. Ironically, I just started experiencing tinitus and I am currently undergoing testing and treatment for it, but I just couldn't pass up the opportunity to own this Vintage Marshall.....you only go around once here and the clock is always ticking..... Peace

18. reddgeetarzan

The Aracom PRX150-pro is the shiznit.......seriously. A few hundred clams less than the Faustine- plus it has impedence mismatching.

I'm trying to get some clips together of mine, but its been CRAAAAZY round here (holiday stuff......), but when I do, I'll post 'em- and I'll send them to Aracom if they are good enough. Stay tuned as I'm working on them- and the main clips will be with a Plexi 50 watter thru an old basketweave cab.