• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Incoming (arrived) NGD x2 Now with Pics

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
UPDATE - I kept the 5150. Love the looks of the Charvel but the 5150 suits me better.

I just ordered a Charvel So-Cal in satin orange and an EVH 5150 Standard in ice blue.
I only intend to keep one but since there is no way I can try these in person I had to order both.

Not the best photos but you get the idea.

Last edited:

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
Both the So-Cal and 5150 showed up today.

The 5150 has terrible fret sprout along the entire neck. The So-Cal is smooth as butter.
I can fix sprout but getting a new guitar with sprout this bad is irritating. This is the 3rd MIM guitar I've bought in the last year with bad sprout.

I'll tune both up and spend some time with them but if I had to choose right now, I'd keep the So-Cal. The necks are similar but I prefer the SC.

Will report back.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Yes, the Charvel is MIM.

Oh and the 5150 bridge pup isn't working. Again, it's something I can fix but it's not looking good for the ole 5150 at the moment.
It has a great sounding neck pickup though. :D
Sorry to hear about the 5150. Sounds like it needs to go back.

How many times did Eddie use his neck pickup?

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
Sorry to hear about the 5150. Sounds like it needs to go back.

How many times did Eddie use his neck pickup?
Good point but trust me, nobody is going to confuse my playing with Ed.

I'll try to post a few pics tomorrow but until then, the 5150 is kind of a silver/blue. Think of the Dallas Cowboy's blue. It looks nice with the black hardware.

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
Pics added to OP.

Some thoughts after spending a little more time with them.

The 5150 neck is slightly thicker than the SC and also has a bit more of a rounded back. They both feel great but I think I now prefer the 5150 neck.
I play mostly sitting down and again, find the 5150 a bit more comfy.

I've only played them thru an amp for a few minutes but I am really digging the Wolfgang pups. Not sure how they compare output wise to the SD Distortion pups in the So Cal but to my ears the Wolfs are a tad smoother if that makes sense.

Here's where I'm having trouble deciding. I can't find a single quality control issue with the So Cal. Frets, fit and finish, nut height, etc., everything is spot on. I'll do a few minor set up tweaks but that's just personal preference.

However the 5150 is lacking in the QC dept. Terrible fret sprout. I doubt the guitar left the factory this way and I understand the causes and remedies so this isn't a deal breaker and is an easy fix. The rear pickup cutting in and out. Again I doubt it left the factory this way. I haven't taken anything apart yet but I'm sure I can correct this too. The strings are a tad higher than I'd like at the nut. The So Cal's strings at the nut are as low as you would want but not so on the 5150. Not sure how to lower strings with a locking nut other than shaving away part of the shelf that the nut sits on but I'm not going to do that.

So this is where I'm at. Spend some time nursing the 5150 back to health or return it and keep the So Cal. All things considered I'd be happy with either and that is making this decision more difficult.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Small fixes to the one you seem to find more comfortable to play and like the sound of slightly better.

Seems an easy decision to me.

Good luck with it.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom