Incoming: Baja Telecaster

Craig Walker

"Anger, fear, aggression. The Bark Side are they"
Gold Supporting Member
First Tele I've ever owned.

On the way. Read good reviews on them mostly. Clocks in under 8 lbs.

Been digging Peter Stroud's work with Sheryl Crow. He gets some great tele tones.

tjmicsak

Possible suggestions for you:
Electrosocket jack

Callaham enhanced vintage sadddles and cold steel bridge plate, using steel for E/A and brass for D/G and BE.

and get a Fender TBX Tone control so that you can get the most twang when wanted by by-passing the tone pot all together. Really Don Rich tone.

You will be a happy camper...

(before I switched the E/A saddle to steel) glad I did too
Then if you really want to go all out run 10-52 on it.

Last edited:

Sean French

Congrats.
Awesome Tele!!!
No need for any upgrading or mods IMO. Unless one want's to go to a three position toggle or compensated saddles.

I have said this many times before; the Baja I own is my personal favorite out of all the Teles I've owned. That includes USA standards, CS, a few Thin Shins and several boutique Teles.
Just sayin.

Enjoy.

Craig Walker

Gold Supporting Member
Yeah, read that many mod them.

I'll wait and see how I feel about it when it arrives.

Thanks for the input :)

Deng

Congrats.
Awesome Tele!!!
No need for any upgrading or mods IMO. Unless one want's to go to a three position toggle or compensated saddles.

I have said this many times before; the Baja I own is my personal favorite out of all the Teles I've owned. That includes USA standards, CS, a few Thin Shins and several boutique Teles.
Just sayin.

Enjoy.

Yep! When I was looking for a Tele to complement my collection of guitars and as I was willing to lash out on something outstanding, I went out and tried a bunch of em, CS '63, '52 RI, AM, Baja, S.
The Baja blew me away with its playability and price. Took home the Blonde and have kept it stock.
Blondes are more fun. lol.

Last edited:
Congrats!

I keep mine pretty stock, compared to other Fenders.

Basically you gotta decide if the guitar is quiet enough as shipped stock. Lotsa wires; lotsa connections and switches. Some guys ditch some of this to quiet em down.

I tried the Callahams but the saddles on a Baja like being pretty high - something Callahams don't do just so. You could buy the Fender brand slanted brass saddles from Darren Riley in Raleigh, NC for $ 16.00 a set. Just a little slant compensation, all a guy usually needs on this model. Otherwise, try Marc Rutters' eccentric slotted ones.

vortexxxx

I keep mine stock as well. I don't think I could find better pickups, so I haven't felt compelled to mess with it, as it sounds great as it is.

Fuzzdog

Congrats.
Awesome Tele!!!

Just sayin.

Enjoy.
^This! ^

No need for any upgrades. At all. If anything, you might want to downgrade the silly switching if it gets annoying (mine did!), but everything else is just superb as standard, particularly that wonderful neck. Best Telecaster Fender makes, in my opinion, and I've played pretty much all of them.

It's basic, it's ballsy and it's everything a Telecaster should be!

Craig Walker

Gold Supporting Member
Encouraging reports.

What's the verdict on the 'phase' switching? Sounds usable on demos on Youtube. Is that what everyone doesn't like? [those that change it]

utterhack

Baja was my main band guitar for a couple of years. Band's gone. Still have the Baja :)

The "phase" settings are sort of cool in theory for faking stratty stuff but I never actually use them. Fourth position (bridge and neck in series) is handy though.

Encouraging reports.

What's the verdict on the 'phase' switching? Sounds usable on demos on Youtube. Is that what everyone doesn't like? [those that change it]
Well, it is amusing when you first get it - you imagine finding all these uses for the out phase and half out of phase sounds.

But over time, most find they are using it less and less.

On the whole guitar, the only part that is not "Keith Richards Battle Tested" is that S-1 switch. This is a wear item, so some guys simply never touch it.

Sean French

The S1 does offer some cool tones. Honestly, I just don't use them.
The neck/bridge in series will give a fat humbucker type sound. Then hit the S1 and Brian May out of phase sounds are there. Again, I just don't use it.

Eventually I'll put in a three way and wire it up standard(modern).
I've just been lazy these past two years. :)

Trending Topics