Incoming bonus-PRS Artist Package Custom 22 or Gibson CS LP Custom?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MNGuitar, Apr 28, 2015.

1. MNGuitar

MNGuitar Member

I've got a bonus coming in June and plan on splurging on my first high end guitar. I currently have an assortment of imports (a semi hollow and a strat), and my current #1 is a PRS Mira with Lollar Imperials.

I've played versions of the Custom 22 and LPs in the past, and get along well with both. I'm looking at either a PRS Custom 22 Artist Package for $3k, with 57/08s and an ebony fretboard

[​IMG]

Or finding a Custom Shop LP Custom from 2010 or 2011 with an ebony fretboard. I'd love a Silverburst

[​IMG]

Can anyone sway me in one direction or the other? Buying both isn't an option.

2. kracdown

kracdown Custom User Title Gold Supporting Member

Apples and oranges. What feels better to you? I'd personally take the LP.

3. Bankston

Bankston Member

Agreed. You really have to play both to see which you prefer because they are very different guitars.

4. Whitecat

Whitecat Member

I dig the spec on that CU22 a lot, but as these guys say they are very different animals and trying might be a good idea.

As an aside, at the moment quilted maple isn't available on Artist packs from PRS so if the one you have your eye on is a quilt top then it's got a slight rarity factor. Not enough to increase the value of it, but a talking point. :)

5. Braunzo

Braunzo Supporting Member

At this point, I'd be taking the PRS. I think they're more versatile, my back doesn't hurt as much after playing one out for an extended period of time and I personally find the attention to detail quite a bit better than Gibson's. That being said, I do love a nice Les Paul, though. I find it easier to find a super nice PRS than a good Les Paul, though.

6. bkatx

bkatx Member

I've owned several PRS (CU24, Mira, McCartys) and several LPs. They are both very nice and very different, so it will come down to personal preference.

I'd also look at the used market, PRS can be had for a substantial discount and their fit and finish is always exceptional. And, generally, people baby their PRS so used guitars are often in pristine condition. Gibsons are more of a crap shoot but nice used ones are out there.

7. shallbe

shallbe Deputy Plankspanker Gold Supporting Member

PRS with ebony boards and vintage sounding pickups are exceptional guitars. I would go with the PRS, if the neck was not a wide thin.

8. MNGuitar

MNGuitar Member

I'm leaning toward the custom 22, but I'm afraid of having some overlap due to the similar voiced pickups and scale length as my Mira, but I could always throw a set of JB/Jazz in the Mira...

9. archey

archey Member

PRS. Not even a contest.

10. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

USED... of either. I did the PRS thing, fantastic build quality...but the Les Paul is home. Bought an R9 and sold the PRS "Pauls" and P22 because they just sat.... Sure pretty to look at...

11. megaboogie

megaboogie Supporting Member

If I were you I'd spend some more and get both used.
    Used PRS prices are bargains compared to the new prices, and as for the LPC you can get an ebony board buying used ones.
    If you just want one new guitar, I'd go for a CU22 AP myself.

12. Meals

Meals Member

They are both such great guitars. I'd go PRS due to the weight. You can always change pickups if you think they sound too similar.

13. Guitarbean25

Guitarbean25 Silver Supporting Member

57/07 pickups are divine. Also, weight is important as well as overall comfort as it hangs on your shoulder. They are different beasts like people have said, but sonically they should be on the same side of the fence. I'm partial to PRS because you can do the LP thing and not give yourself neck problems.

14. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

I'd take my time and go with a used PRS.

15. 59Bassman

59Bassman Plank Cranker Silver Supporting Member

PRS. Every day and twice on Sunday. Silverburst is second only to Fender's Antigua in the "ugliest finish ever" contest....

16. Wedge

Wedge Supporting Member

PRS is my choice but if you find a good LP Custom it might be the one.

17. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

+1. My sentiments exactly...

18. Pointy Headstock

Pointy Headstock Member

Lot's of good advice in this thread. I faced a similar dilemma and ended up getting a Les Paul Custom with ebony board that I loaded with PRS 57/08 pickups. Best of both worlds :).

One additional suggestion- There's still NOS PRS MC58s and SC58's in the dealer channel (they come with artist tops, fretboard binding, artist inlays, and paisley cases). I've played several of them and they have all been great guitars- definitely investigate these as well.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015