Incoming! GSP1101

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Dickie Fredericks, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Heading to Florida tomorrow for a week and am having the GSP shipped there to meet me. Ill see it Tuesday. I guess I need to update directly to the C48 firmware update correct?

If yes, Im gonna download it now and take it with me so Ill be ready when the GSP arrives.

2. drewl

drewl Member

You don't "have" to, but you'll want to.
    more amp models, effects and options obviously and some of us seem to think it just sounds better overall, but that may be psychological:cool:

3. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

LOL I got that I dont have to but I think I should just because. Glad I can go right to the C48 update and not have to go through em one at a time. Whew!

I cant wait. Looking forward to it.

4. drewl

drewl Member

I actually ran the stock firmware for a while as I had a full schedule of gigs and didn't want to screw anything up!
    First I upgraded to the new release on the Digitech site with no problems, then when I had a break in my schedule and took the plunge to C48.
    Download the editor also, and you can save all your presets on your computer.

5. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yeah I downloaded all of it this evening. Looking forward to it.

6. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

I'm always curious about these things but how do they sound? Can you run just the effects without and amp models into an existing amp?

7. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Not sure about that Amp...

Anyone have the actual dimensions on the Control 2? Width, Height, Depth?

Nevermind, I found em.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2009
  8. guitarist58

guitarist58 Member

IIRC (I'm almost certain) you can. Another cool feature--which I used--is setting the in/out loop to be a "preamp loop" (you can choose whether it functions as an "effects loop" or "preamp loop"). If you have an amp with an effects loop, you can plug your guitar into the GSP, take the send out of the GSP loop into your amp's input, then the effects send of your amp into the GSP's loop in, then the GSP's loop out into the effects return on your amp. By doing that, you can use your amps own preamp with effects on some patches, or the GSP models and effects on other patches! Just like adding your own amp's preamp to the list of modeled amps.

9. drewl

drewl Member

yes you can use the 1101 as just an effects processor and not use the amp models.
    One of the main design features is that you can use the 1101 in many ways, in the fx loop of an amp, in front of the amp, you can run your pedals in the loop of the 1101 and turn the loop on or off and many more configurations.
    The set up wizard guides you through how you want to run the 1101 with your amp(s).
    It's selling point is that it doesn't alter the tone of your amp which I find to be true.
    It's an exceptionally good sounding unit, especially for the price.

10. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

The GSP showed up this morning. I havent had a chance to do anything but go through the presets but man this thing sounds great. Some of the presets are just really useable out of the box.

Im going to be working with it tomorrow and wont have a chance to plug it into a PA or amp for 5 more days so its headphones only.

Smart purchase on my part. This things a killer for sure.

Oh I did hook up a Boss volume pedal to try the epression and it worked well too.

11. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Awesome man! Glad you finally got one. The key is to just think of your signal chain just like you would an amp with a few pedals in front and a little mod/delay/verb in the loop. Turn the effects off, dial in a tone you like, then add a little fx to taste.

You cannot go wrong with the Plexi or Master 77 models with a lil DOD 250 or Sparkledrive model pushing the front end and a lil delay or verb to sweeten it up.
    The Twin with some righteous Spring verb and a lil Boss compressor model is a really awesome clean tone too.

Merry Christmas!

Jason

12. drewl

drewl Member

The brown Bassman is one of my favorite amp models as are the Marshalls.
    I like pushing those with pedals as opposed to the high gain amps, but they're there for when needed.
    Oh and the Orange (from C48) is thick and nasty!

13. Amp360

Amp360 Senior Member

Thanks for the answers! Only one of my amps (Soldano) has an effects loop. The rest are older Fenders and an ancient Marshall JTM-50 combo.

I'm going to try to check one of these out going into an amp like you would a pedal.

Dickie, please let us know how you like it!

14. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I installed C48 immediately. I turned the thing on and then installed C48. Ive not found yet where you access just the amp models but like I said I just ot it and went through the presets a few times.

Tomorrow Ill have a good portion of the day in the hotel here to work with it but like I said I wont get to use it with an amp or PA till next wednesday.

15. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Just press the Edit knob twice, roll down to Preamp and hit Edit again.
    That puts you in the Preamp Select/Edit mode and you can scroll through them.
    I recommend maybe select the Plexi Drive - Preset Number 1 - then just hit Edit, scroll through the presets and listen to the different models.

Make sure you turn off any Stomp Boxes (Comp and OD Pedals)

Have fun!!!

16. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

Can't go wrong - best bang for the buck. I picked my GSP1101/Control2 very slightly used , still had film on screens and warranty cards. I was going to use it for backup/practice and it turned into much more use than I ever though. It has plenty of gigs under its belt. Nice simple set up to boot.

17. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

LOL yeah brother I found that today. I just didnt look at what I was doing yesterday and was thinking it was gonna be more difficult to get around in the thing. But, getting around in the GSP is really simple. The unit is laid out really well and it sounds really good to my ears.

I started messing around with it like you said (started with the plexi preset #1) and just turned everything off cept for the model and then started scrolling through them.

Once I did that for an hour or so I started on the FX section because I was interested in a few of the things in there (like the Auto Ya - LOL, LOVED IT) and started just playing some stuff for fun.

Man, I even dig the Acoustic Guitar models/presets in there and Ill be able to use these in some situations for sure.

So I threw the whammy preset on and hooked up an old Boss volume pedal (I dont love the sweep of the pedal but it was small enough to travel to Florida with me to try the unit out) just to try out some things again and then I realized that Audioslaves, "Like A Stone", which is in the set list is gonna be a very cool song to do now with the Whammy and the Acoustic presets.

OK Ive only had a few hours with the unit (my Control 2 is being delivered sometime next week) but I love it! I'm actually surprised that this unit isnt way more popular than it is. I think its just now starting to get some love thanks to a few guys here who have made some good music using it. I wish I had bought the thing 4 years ago LOL

I do have one small gripe with it and it concerns the USB drivers and recording. The drivers only allow you to record in 16bit and that to me is a bad thing as I record everything in 24bit. Its not a huge problem as I can just run the GSP into my normal recording chain and do 24bit with no problem.

The audio converters on the GSP are 24bit so why not make the USB recording chain 24bit? Slight oversight on Digitech's part IMO though they probably figure it doesnt matter. Well, it does when we're talking digital signal levels (again just my opinion)

So, Im gonna dig on the thing the rest of the week Im here in the hotel and when I get back to the house next Wednesday Ill be able to run it through the PA, the amp, whatever, and start setting it up with some of my own presets and stuff.

I could however, go do a pickup gig tonight if I had to because the factory presets are pretty darned good and I found several that are pretty darned close to what I would want anyway so Ill really just need to move them into their preset positions and slightly tweak em.

Its a great unit and after watching a few vids on the thing and working with it for a few hours, I certainly want the Control 2 and like I said, I have it coming next week. Its not that Id have to have the Control 2 since a Midi pedal for changes or even the Digi footswitch would work and a expression pedal would get the job done.

The Control 2 just has some cool things about it that make it quite desireable. OK the wife is leaving the hotel to go visit some friends. I am gonna fire up the GSP nad get some work done. Love it!

18. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

I believe I was wrong about the 16bit thing.

19. johnrea_77

johnrea_77 Silver Supporting Member

I'm sure you will really like the Control 2. Easiest FC to use- everything is done from the GSP and one cable hookup. The tuner is usable and the display is very visible onstage. The metal footswitches are solid but they do click when engaged. I don't hear the clicks on live gigs, in a quiet room or recording it might be an issue.

20. Dickie Fredericks

Dickie Fredericks Member

Yeah, Ive got it coming sometime next week. Im really bummed about the USB thing though but it may even be the crappy power at the hotel, I dont know. Good thing Ive got 45 days to try the thing out.

I know the USB has worked fine when using the X-Edit or doing the update to C48 so? LOL

Ill get it sorted but for now Ive got to figure out how Im gonna work the presets, 5 patch or 10 and what patches Im gonna load where.