Incoming! Its here!!!! Pics added

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Drewski, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Drewski

Drewski Supporting Member

Ive wanted a Gibson slope for about as long as I can remember, and things just never aligned for me. About 2 months ago I was in Fullers and played a J35 Collectors edition that just had all the things I wanted. Fat neck, Adi top, dark stained back and sides, and a great burst. One came up used for a price I could swing with my guitar fund and shell be here Thursday!

[​IMG]

I cannot wait!

Last edited: May 6, 2015
  2. guitararmy

guitararmy Member

Congrats! I've been meaning to add a Gibson J-series to my acoustic stable...

Nice burst!

3. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

Beautiful! The J-35 is one of my all-time favorite Gibson offerings!

4. lamenlovinit

lamenlovinit Member

A lot of folks consider the Martin Dread the iconic guitar shape. But to me it's always been the J-35. Just looks right. Organic. Made to fit the human body and be hugged.

5. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

Nice looking guitar.

Congrats, and enjoy!

6. Jagman327

Jagman327 Supporting Member

Beauty! Love the necks on these. Enjoy!

7. Drewski

I played one of these at Fullers a while ago, and really liked the neck carve, and low end thump of it. Saw a used one on Reverb, made an offer and got it.

Ive pretty much been a Martin guy my whole life, but that guitar at Fullers stuck with me.

I know its still honeymoon period, but this guitar is absolutely outstanding. The adi top with a burst just looks great, fit and finish are very good. Im pretty sure its got an aftermarket nut and saddle, so Im not sure how that was from the factory. Beautiful looking guitar. The simple headstock script is really nice looking to my eyes. Plays like a dream, I may cut the nut slots a tad deeper, but thats something Ive done on almost every guitar Ive owned.

If its true that Adi tops sweeten up over time, I cannot wait to hear this thing in 5 years! Right now its very big sounding with great balance. Not the loudest guitar Ive ever played, but thats what D-18s are for. Finger picks very well, and handles all types of strumming I can throw at it. Im impressed with how dynamic it is. Ive worked hard on my electric guitar dynamics over the years, and that translates very well to this guitar. The top moves and gets the body resonating at lower volumes than any guitar Ive owned. Its nice to be able to play a part quietly, while still sounding full, if you know what I mean. Its just got that Gibson "thing" in spades, which Ive always admired, but never owned. Really nice guitar to sing along with.

My left hand needs a chunky neck or I start getting cramps, and this thing fits my hand like a glove. I may soften up the fret board edges if I decide its a keeper (which it is at this point, but we all know how that goes). I cant imagine that the UST is hindering this guitar after hearing and playing it. I was planing on removing it, but will probably leave it stock at this point. I honestly dont want this guitar to sound differently than it does.

I know theres only 65 out there, but if you get a chance, play one!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Jaan

Jaan Member

thats beautiful!

9. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

Really beautiful. Congrats!

10. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

Congrats in advance.

I like the sound of the new version fo the J-35s. But I actually find the necks to be a bit on the slim feeling side.

11. Funky Monkey

Funky Monkey Member

Very nice! Fancy humidifier in the background, too!

12. Drewski

This guitar and a standard J35 have nothing in common except Gibsons desire to name things improperly. This neck is probably close to .900 at the first fret, and 1.000 at the tenth. Its a vintage type neck carve for sure.

13. facesfan

facesfan Member

Great one! Enjoy!

14. G Man

G Man Member

As another Martin guy who was lulled by the classic J-45, I understand your excitement. These are great guitars and I find the slope shoulder much more comfortable than the classic dread shape. Also wanted to agree with your take on the dynamics of these guitars, even slight adjustments to pick attack are very noticeable.

Congrats and rock on.

15. zombywoof

zombywoof Member

With the 1.77" nut it sounds sounds like a Luthier's Choice neck. According to Gibson the J-35 Collector's Edition neck measures .860 at the first and .950 at the 9th fret.

I am guessing the Collector's Edition is the same guitar as The Fuller's Limited Edition J-35 of several years back. They were extremely nice guitars and I agree certainly a cut above the standard issue J-35.

But with necks it is all frame of reference. To me, anything under .925 at the 1st fret is a skinny neck. But that is because most of my guitars were built in the 1930s and 1940s many not having any kind of neck support other than sheer girth.

And I swear though, Gibson has the absolutely most wretched looking what they call firestripe pickguard I have ever seen.

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  16. Drewski

Zomby I think the one difference between this and the fullers is, the J35CE has the tall thin back braces that J45TVs have. The Fullers are short and wide I believe.

Thanks for the neck specs. I wasnt too far off with my guess!

And yeah Im already looking for aftermarket guards...

17. Duffy

Duffy Member

On South bank of Susquehanna River in North Centra
    Beautiful.

I really dig the tight and straight, uniform grain of the top as well as the burst. I also dig the figuring on the fretboard. I actually like the figured fretboards more than the plain black and rosewood ones. It gives it a more artistically refined look.

I would not tear out the pickup and preamp. Someday you might want those in there and I bet, with the right amp it will sound wonderful. My Taylor 12 string has the "Expression" Taylor sound system and it sounds great compared to my other acoustic (an "L" series Yamaha).There is no feedback and the controls are really effective. It sounds almost the same amplified as unplugged. It is my first Taylor and won't be the last. I'm already looking for a six string.

I'd love to get a Gibson similar to yours. I was lucky to get an '02 Martin D16 special edition with solid walnut body and a lot of beautiful details and a mosaic medial line on the back, plus other decorative aspects. I never thought I'd be able to own a guitar like this but have always wanted one. It sold in '02 for approx. 2300; I got it for 580 out the door in very awesome shape; took it to a well known luthier before I bought it and he said there was nothing that needed to be fixed and that it was an upscale very nice model Martin. I was in the right place at the right time.

If that is a new guitar the adhesive under the pickguard is probably still very flexible and might come off easily. Personally I don't mind the stipe looking guard. I think I could get used to it but it does have a directional aspect to it that doesn't seem to blend in with the artistic attributes of the rest of the guitar.

Good luck with that beautiful guitar.