Incoming... Kramer The '84 Diver Down

fechart

What don't you like about a JB? I was considering one for my HSH strat bridge......
Hey mate, I had the JB in a basswood bodied guitar and it was like meh... I felt it had nothing special to offer. Also it has a midrange honk that I don't dig... But that's my impression, it's more a kind of "feel" matter, don't get me wrong, the JB is a classic pup and it sounds good, just not my piece of cake...

jds22

Silver Supporting Member
That is so awesome.
I'm probably in the minority here but my favorite Ed tones are on Diver Down. Not my favorite album from a song perspective but the tone is killer.

Whiskeyrebel

Silver Supporting Member
Give the JB a chance. SOme pickups work a lot better in certain woods than they do others.

Cool guitar!
Ain't that the truth. I tried a JB in an ash (sen) guitar and it sounded terrible. I traded it to a friend who put it in a 1980 Les Paul Standard and it sounded great.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
I have an '84 in red/black bullseye, and it's a legitimately nice guitar. Heavy, thanks to the maple body, but nice. Great fit and finish, good quality Floyd, good pickup if you like a JB. My only complaint was the cheap metric volume pot, but it's easy to ream and swap in a better quality unit.

fechart

I have an '84 in red/black bullseye, and it's a legitimately nice guitar. Heavy, thanks to the maple body, but nice. Great fit and finish, good quality Floyd, good pickup if you like a JB. My only complaint was the cheap metric volume pot, but it's easy to ream and swap in a better quality unit.
I plan replacing the volume pot for an EVH low friction I have, and of course the JB for the Frankie in case I don't like the JB on maple

lamenlovinit

I don't know much about Eddie's gear after the second album. I think of maple I think of Lynch. I figure Lynch got all "Swole" from playing those maple guitars... Did Eddie play a maple body?

As to the guitar itself a hockey stick headstock, one pickup shredder with a floyd and a super bold graphic? What's not to like! :D

Guitarworks

I like that "EVH" paint job the best. It's neat and clean. While I was a VH fan growing up and admired Ed's playing and songwriting, I was never a fan of the paint schemes. I know I'm in the minority here. They always looked like such a cheap hack job to me.

fechart

On top of this excellent advice, try it with 250k pots!
Yes! The guitar is trebly as hell! A couple of hours ago I replaced the stock JB with an EVH Frankie, and the treble is still there.... The tone has like a stratty single coil ish character that apparently you can't get rid of. I think the problem is not so much in the wood, it's the lack of a tone control and a switch. The circuit is so simple and straightforward...

F#m7

Silver Supporting Member
I would think the maple body would contribute to the brightness, but the electronics also play a big role. 250k pot should help. Sound advice.

Trending Topics