1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Incoming! (lakland content)

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Bassomatic, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

Got this puppy on Wednesday, and am having a hard time putting her down:

[​IMG]

Lakland 55-94 ebony fretless. Killer neck, playability, tone(s), bass. Haven't owned a fretless or a five in a few years, so shedding is in order. Will post up some clips soonish.

2. Unburst

Unburst Member

Congrats, that looks sweet!

Clip it!

3. Lex Luthier

Lex Luthier Member

A friend of mine is a Lakland dealer, they are sweet basses, even the imports are nice.

4. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Nice choice Basso...
    I have a 5594 dlx fretted 5 with maple neck, butterscotch quilt top.
    That bass has the finest neck of any fiver I tried out.
    Tones from the Gods...especially that killer B.
    :cool:

S>
    j

5. Scott Peterson

Scott Peterson Administrator Staff Member

6. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Wait 'til Scherzer sees that one! ;)

7. Bassomatic

Thanks, guys.

Jato- yes- the neck is a big part of the appeal. The compound radius is hip (starts roundish, gets flattish). For me, quilts and flames on basses just don't do it (though i may be biased by the old PRS i used to have, my one forray into a maple topped bass).

Speaking of PRS, Lakland reminds me a bit of the line, combining the best aspects of 2 existing classic companies/designs (Musicman and Fender) into a refined hybrid that addresses the shortcomings of both, with classic lines that are all Lakland.

I looked at a number of "mid priced" (a bit of a laff that the most $$$ bass i've owned can be considered that) basses before taking the plunge, focussing mostly on Zon and Steinberger, as i really wanted a composite neck originally, missing the 5 string fretless Steiny XL and fretted Q i used to have. Sonically, those basses were great, but a bit of a one trick pony. The seven possible PUP combos, blend knob, passsive switch, and three band eq on the 55-94 cover a LOT of sonic territory - almost too much, as i find sounds and worry i'll never find 'em again!

Construction, fit, finish are all first rate, as i've heard and read about Lakland. Also the lightest 5 i've owned (not weight obsessed like some, but it's a plus).

Next up? Looking seriously at a Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones 5, for my frewtted J bass itch.

8. lhallam

lhallam Member

Nice ax Basso.

I swear I can almost hear it just by the photo.

I like neck accessibility, no note can get away from you now. :cool:

You're a man after my own heart, I prefer versatile instruments. My 11 different pup combinations is more than I need, I usually keep it down to ca. 8. ;)

9. Funky Chicken

Funky Chicken Member

That's a beauty!
    I love my Lakland-had it 10 years and it's been #1 all along.
    The Fender/Music Man analogy is dead on. My other 2 basses are a '72 Jazz and a very early MM Sterling, and the Lakland takes the best of both and puts them together in a better looking package than either of the other 2.
    Enjoy the shed..:D

10. Bassomatic

My kind of guy.

Now i'm jonesing for a Skyline Darryl Jones 5. Ugh.