Incoming Larrivee OM-03

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by Lawn Jockey, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Well...I have decided to grab the OM-03. If the banjo doesn't sell...so be it...winter is coming and I'll use it to shovel snow with. :roll

So, without further ado.....here is my new OM-03 that should arrive next Monday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Since I had such an ENORMOUS response to this thread....I'll add my own pics...it arrived yesterday....and is a fabulous guitar.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

sweet! I love my L-10

4. pennylink

pennylink Member

Congratulations on a great looking and great sounding guitar! I've had a Larrivee DV-09 for some years and you'll find that they get even better with time.

5. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

That's all I play actually.

L-03R
    L-03MT-12 Custom
    P-05MT
    P-09 Brazilian
    OM-03

I can't find anything I don't like about them....except the Cleartone strings.

:AOK

6. Alister

Alister Supporting Member

Aside from body shape, how does the OM differ from your other ones?

I think I heard that OM being played by a guy a few years, and not that familiar with Larrivees, I was stunned by how great that guitar sounded. (And I own some high-end Martins).

7. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Alister, I don't think the OM (Larrivee at least) is going to be able to handle moderate/heavy strumming without breaking up. I haven't had a chance yet to fully test this theory....but I will later today.

I don't have another Mahogany/Sapele guitar with a Sitka top. My L-03R is Sitka/EIR and is full of overtones.......and the Sapele is fairly dry, woody, loud, and full of mid-range.

The Parlors (even given their smaller size) are huge sounding...especially for fingerstyle. Again, one is a SA Mahogany top/back/sides...the other Sitka/Brazilian.....two totally different sounding animals.

And the 12 string (SA Mahogany top/back/sides) is just LUSH sounding.

8. wlalpaugh

wlalpaugh Silver Supporting Member

Nice guitar. I've had my LV-09 for about a year and it has definitely opened up. Great guitars. Enjoy!!!!
    Walt

9. DanR

DanR Member

Congrats on the new guitar. I have a L-03R and just love it. I think Larrivee is one of the best bang for the buck acoustics around.

10. Pedro58

Pedro58 Member

I have a great Larrivee D style, a '9,' maybe? It's a wonderful guitar and I don't play it as often as it deserves.

I LOVE the OM style sounds. Very balanced. Enjoy!

11. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

Thanks guys!! I'm diggin' the slight bearclaw on the top....awesome looking at different angles.

I've yet to find a Larrivee I didn't like.

This thing sounds alot better than I thought it would with a pick. The strings make a huge difference there for sure.

12. MickeyJi

MickeyJi Member

Anybody tried a Larrivee OM 10? British Guitarist magazine had a review some time back and it gave me major GAS for one of these.

:band

13. sfletch

sfletch Member

Larivees are great. I actually think the lower end models are better price to performance ratio. I had an L-03-MT that was really really warm and wonderful. The 03s are really good deals, congrats.

14. soulohio

soulohio Member

i had a few posts here and someone sent me a link to an OM5 for sale so i says to meself, 'self, maybe you should play one and see what she will do'... so i played an OM5 at Blues Angels music in Pensacola...this was probably the nicest, prettiest sounding acoustic i have ever played. i strummed it with a pick...just beautiful.

15. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

soulohio, did you buy it?

If not....and you really liked it.....I've got a friend that is a Larrivee dealer in Baton Rouge. He's also a master luthier...and handbuilds guitars.

He is having some problems since the hurricane (been shut down for quite awhile)....and he's moving this guitar at cost. Figure just a tad over $1,300.00 delivered. THAT is an AWESOME deal for someone.

PM me if you.....or anyone you know is interested. I've used this guy for 28 years to perform set-ups, fret work, etc. on my guitars. He is just in a pinch due to no fault of his own.

16. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

The 12th Fret in Toronto just listed a very nice looking Larrivee L-04R ... great guitar for the money. (no personal interest and I don't know the owner)

http://www.12fret.com/used/index.html

17. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

I bet that is nice. I love my L-03R. I think the 04 has a gloss finish. It's strange that this "L" is listed with an 1 11/16" nut width. The "L"'s typically have a 1.75" nut width.

[​IMG]

18. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

While visiting a friends shop a few months ago I played an OM 03R. I have to say that guitar had beautiful tone.

I haven't owned an acoustic in quite a while but that one was tempting.

19. Lawn Jockey

Lawn Jockey Member

After owning Taylor's, Breedloves, Lakewoods, Martin's, Gibson's, Takamine's I am please to say now that all I play are Larrivee's. It's not just that they are "good for the price"......it's that they are good period.

Mine are strictly utilitarian......and they get the job done beautifully.

I just can't find any negatives (except the Cleartone strings) about them.

:dude

20. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

What strings do you use?