Incoming Mesa Boogie S.O.B.!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Ilduce, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

I just made a deal on a S.O.B. head and should have it by the end of next week. The one I'm getting is 60 watts, no reverb and has the limit knob. I haven't been able to find a whole lot about the SOB, but it seems like most people either love them or hate them. So I'm curious about others opinions about them? And are there any tips or tricks as far as settings and such? Thanks!

2. Ilduce

Any speaker recommendations? Right now I have a 4x12 loaded with 2 Celestion g12t75's and 2 Elite 100's, a 1x12 loaded with a v30 and a old Peavey KB amp that I took the chassis out of to use as a 1x15.

3. Heady Jam Fan

Heady Jam Fan Member

I've never had an sob, but always thought they are cool. I like celestion speakers with my boogie - v30s are great as long as you don't blow it. There are some hemp cone ev force 12s on reverb.com that would also be great. I had a hemp ev once and it was super smooth sounding, but more bass than I like. I'm using a steamboat hemp 100.

4. Ilduce

It's kinda ironic you're mentioning the EV Force 12. I have one in my old teal stripe Peavey Bandit! I'll have to give it a shot with my SOB. And if I like it enough with the SOB I'll put it in a 1x12 cab.

5. Phletch

Phletch Member

Congrats on the amp! I played and gigged years ago with a borrowed '77 Mark I and it's the best amp I've ever played; I was too broke to buy it at the time, though. From what I've read, Mesa marketed it as the first Mark I reissue. It's apparently a stripped down Mark I (in which sense I have no idea since the Mark I is already a pretty bare-bones, straight froward amp).

As far as speakers go, the Mark I is pretty mid rich, so a mid focussed speaker like the V30, which I love with my Mini Rec, might not be the best choice (not to mention its power handling would be pushed to its limit if you drive the SOB hard). I'll second the EV recommendation above.