Incoming NAD: Laney Ironheart 30 watt combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockguitar2000, Feb 24, 2015.

1. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

Got a good deal from WWBW.com, hoping it's here by the weekend. Needed a upgrade from my Blackstar HT-5 I play live with. Needed more flexibility in channels and tones, and power. I'll be getting the 1x12 extension cabinet also, as seen in this photo. Should be a fun gigging rig!

[​IMG]

2. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

I've had my eye on that amp for a couple of weeks now. I like the feature set and I've always loved Laney overdrive tones.Btw,I currently have both a TT-20 and LC-15. Please report back after the amp arrives.

Ed

3. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

I've played one gig with the amp so far, and it's pretty good. I ran it direct via the XLR out of the back. I've since also picked up the 1x12 extension cab, and will use that at this weekend's show. I'm hoping it helps me hear it better on stage, as now it'll be up higher. Cool thing is the extension cab on the bottom is deeper than the combo, so I can still use the tilt back feature while it's stacked! Nice detail.

The feature set on the amp is impressive, 3 channels, boosting, reverb, variable 1-30 watts in a really useable sweep, effects loop. I only wish the 30 watt combo came with EL34s, I like that "bite" better than the 6L6. But some EQ can help there.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/14pfsfau4tbgjb8/AAB16wny6M0UjeUv1zYME1U6a

4. EdMan57

EdMan57 Member

Thanks for the update. So I'm guessing that the amp can't do simple power tube swaps via a bias switch. Btw,years ago I had the Mesa/Boogie factory do a mod to my MKIIC+ head that allowed it to run EL34's,giving me tones and a midrange voice more pleasing to my ears. Mike B. said that it was a fairly simple mod to do. It cost me less than $100 to do such.

Ed

5. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

Turns out the 60 and 120 watt heads allow for power tube swaps but not the 30 watt combo. Damn...