Incoming! - Reeves and StoneAge content

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by justonwo, Jan 31, 2008.

1. justonwo

justonwo Member

The home rig needed a little boost. As much as I love my Champ + pedals combination it's always been a bit on the thin/boxy side, especially when compared to my studio rigs.

I've had my eye on a few amps over the years, but the Reeves Custom 30 seems to really fill the niche well. It has a great clean tone, which will be important as a pedal platform, but the power scaling will be a great tool to get some natural grind out of it at lower volumes. I've never played anything with power scaling before, so it'll be fun to try out.

The Reeves also seemed to be very high quality for the price, and I've always loved the Hiwatt tone and wanted something to approximate it.

Of course, no head is complete without a cabinet. Given my fantastic experience with StoneAge, I just ordered another - an oversized 1x12. Can't wait to play through this rig.

2. photios

photios Member

congrats on the new gear...that's gonna be a fun rig...maybe clips in a few weeks?

3. justonwo

justonwo Member

Reeves through one of my current cabs - definitely. It's going to be a while on the 1x12, though.

4. Pentode

Pentode Supporting Member

Congratulations! I have my eye on the Custom 30 as well. Let us know how it goes!

5. justonwo

justonwo Member

Anyone out there have a Custom 30? I'd love to hear some more users with lots of experience with this amp. The archives have some information, but not a ton.

6. justonwo

justonwo Member

Any Reeves enthusiasts? :(

7. madstrat

madstrat Member

i had a 30 for a couple weeks...cool amp

but i could not bond with it...not sure why:(

maybe i'm not a kt66 guy??

so bill took it back and shipped me a 50;

and i love it..it only gets better over time

i guess i was just looking for that epic hi-watt sound;

first class company btw

8. justonwo

justonwo Member

Well, this amp will be used mostly at home so I'm trying not to go overboard on the output power. What specifically didn't you like about the 30?

9. madstrat

madstrat Member

not really sure...just didn't like the drive tones
    might of been the cabs-marshall 4x12 w/hellatone30s
    and an avatar 2x12 w/vintage 30s[took me forever to break in]
    i think i was really wanting the 50 anyway and didn't give the 30 a chance:jo

most people seem to love this amp...so take my opinion w/ a grain

10. daddyo

daddyo Guest

There are a lot of Reeves reviews here. Use the search function. 99% very positive. I've been convinced that it is a great amp (Custom 30 especially).

11. justonwo

justonwo Member

I DID use the search and read almost all of what's available. There is very little discussion of the CUSTOM 30, specifically. And what little discussion there is, it's mostly repeated reviews by the same person.

We need a moratorium on these "use the search function" replies.

12. The Whiz

The Whiz Member

Bump. Let us know how you like the Custom 30. I really like the clips and have always thought that, on paper, it's the perfect amp. Might get one some day.

13. justonwo

justonwo Member

I will definitely do that. The one clip that is mostly clean has a great Live at Leeds vibe. I love that tone because it's so dynamic. You can hear Pete riding that volume knob to move from clean to overdriven and every note is so articulate.

So with that kind of clean it should make a great amp. And a great pedal platform. Wish more people had them and could comment.

(By the way, if the power scaling really impresses me, I might buy the London Power kit and retrofit my Super Lead.)