Incoming Reverb Seller Rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GoBeavs68, Jun 17, 2019.

1. GoBeavs68

GoBeavs68 Member

Had a nice little offer-counter offer spat into the wee hours of Sunday night. Monday morning, I accepted his last offer, paid at 12 noon (PayPal) and then at 5pm he says he is going on vacation Tuesday and will ship it when he gets back... in 2 weeks.

I told him Reverb has a policy for shipping within a certain time frame. He replies “I’ll give you a refund or you wait until I get back to ship it.”

Steaming, but I want this axe.

Imerkat, scolfax and macmax77 like this.
  2. CanuckChris

CanuckChris Supporting Member

Sounds like this is going to end badly no matter the outcome. I'd take the refund now, save yourself the grief (and likely an 80 page thread here).

hackenfort, massacre, Phil M and 74 others like this.
  3. philiprst

philiprst Supporting Member

Unacceptable. He should of either informed you of the shipping delay with the counteroffer or set vacation mode on his listing. Get the refund and ask him to let you know if it is still available after he gets back.

4. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Supporting Member

He obviously won't ship it to anyone else until he gets back, right? I'd take the refund, and then tell him to message you when he's back and ready to ship and you'll buy it then.

In other words, he can "pound sand" while on vacation! :D

5. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

Get your refund - tell him thanks, but you'll be shopping over the next two weeks. If he wants, reach out when he gets back to see if you are still looking. Kind of ridiculous he gets your money to enjoy on vacay while you wait.

6. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

If you're smart you'll take the refund.

7. whitehall

whitehall Member

Take the refund , when he comes back offer him less money.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

If the deal started out like this, it can only end badly.

Get out now

Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

I've had something similar happen to me, bought a guitar on a Buy It Now listing and the guy was about to go on holiday so couldn't ship it. I didn't think it was any big deal, just meant I had to wait a couple of weeks. I guess in your case he could have said something when you were haggling but I can see his point of view - if it's been listed a while, he's answering offer messages whilst trying to do other things, then when you hit the buy button he realises he doesn't practically have time to get it out... I'd just chalk it down to the downside of dealing with individuals rather than businesses.

To try to put a positive spin on it, I'd much rather wait a couple of weeks that have someone boxing it up in a mad panic with whatever bits and pieces of packaging he had on hand in the moment.

10. tjontheroad

tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    He's going to go vacation with your money? Better get it back now.

11. Jabberwocky

Jabberwocky Member

He is using your money interest free for the two weeks that he is on vacation. This is going to end badly for you. Take your refund now. If there is a guitar for sale when he returns then you send him your money.

You know what? I suspect he just needs a free loan. When he returns he is going to refund you and say that the guitar is no longer for sale. This happens, mate.

sonofspy, Zandalf, Tonekat and 10 others like this.
  12. naveed211

naveed211 Member

+1 on this. It’s annoying you have to wait and he should’ve let that be known. But if you got a guitar you really want at a good price, be patient and wait it out.

If you don’t want it that badly, back out. If you do want it and it goes south after he gets back, handle it.

LeftyGtrPlr, bluesoul, cratz2 and 2 others like this.
  13. sksmith66

sksmith66 Supporting Member

that is exactly what I'd do. he'll say no because he's pissed he didn't get the original offer. Then when the guitar is still on the market in a week I'd offer him even less money.

14. scmavl

scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

If it feels like it's a bad deal, it'll end up a bad deal. Cut and run.

sonofspy, darth_tar, Flatscan and 4 others like this.
  15. data_null

data_null Member

Interest free? So you're assuming the seller was going to take out a loan to go on vacation?

Also, how is it going to end badly for the OP? If he decides to wait the two weeks he'll either receive a guitar or he won't. If he doesn't receive it then Reverb will take care of the problem.

bossaddict, xrcdan, MkIIC+ and 7 others like this.
  16. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Childish passive /aggressive tantrum on his part. Get your refund now . Hes calling your bluff . If you havent moved on when he gets back you can revisit it. I agree , let him use his own money for vacation.

sonofspy, DCross, Jabberwocky and 2 others like this.
  17. Magnets And Melodies

Magnets And Melodies Member

Why go through the hassle? By agreeing to wait for the 2 weeks you're giving the seller permission to delay shipment. You're setting a precedent that it's ok.

Do you think Reverb will be jumping out of their seats to help you? No. It's gonna be a back and forth. At the end of the day yeah you'll get your money back... but why the hassle? Why the hoops?

sonofspy, zryder, Mad-kiwi and 3 others like this.
  18. Drew816

Drew816 Supporting Member

Ya, this can only end badly. Take your refund and keep shopping. I wouldn't consider buying from this guy regardless...

Good luck!

19. macmax77

macmax77 Supporting Member

if I sell something I usually tell when I am shipping and if I am going to be out of town, I do tell before selling and when I'll be able to ship.

Take your refund and buy again when he is back.

20. Guitarwiz007

Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

Take the refund. Shop for two weeks. If it's still available and you haven't gotten anything, stick him with your original offer.