Incoming Reverb Seller Rant

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by GoBeavs68, Jun 17, 2019.

  1. GoBeavs68

    GoBeavs68 Member

    Messages:
    286
    Joined:
    Oct 11, 2015
    Had a nice little offer-counter offer spat into the wee hours of Sunday night. Monday morning, I accepted his last offer, paid at 12 noon (PayPal) and then at 5pm he says he is going on vacation Tuesday and will ship it when he gets back... in 2 weeks.

    I told him Reverb has a policy for shipping within a certain time frame. He replies “I’ll give you a refund or you wait until I get back to ship it.”

    Steaming, but I want this axe.
     
    Imerkat, scolfax and macmax77 like this.
  2. CanuckChris

    CanuckChris Supporting Member

    Messages:
    539
    Joined:
    Oct 28, 2017
    Sounds like this is going to end badly no matter the outcome. I'd take the refund now, save yourself the grief (and likely an 80 page thread here).
     
    hackenfort, massacre, Phil M and 74 others like this.
  3. philiprst

    philiprst Supporting Member

    Messages:
    563
    Joined:
    Dec 15, 2007
    Location:
    Baltimore, MD
    Unacceptable. He should of either informed you of the shipping delay with the counteroffer or set vacation mode on his listing. Get the refund and ask him to let you know if it is still available after he gets back.
     
  4. bluejazzoid

    bluejazzoid Supporting Member

    Messages:
    4,000
    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2009
    Location:
    Southeast
    He obviously won't ship it to anyone else until he gets back, right? I'd take the refund, and then tell him to message you when he's back and ready to ship and you'll buy it then.

    In other words, he can "pound sand" while on vacation! :D
     
  5. TheWayfarer84

    TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    2,638
    Joined:
    Jun 5, 2008
    Location:
    NC
    Get your refund - tell him thanks, but you'll be shopping over the next two weeks. If he wants, reach out when he gets back to see if you are still looking. Kind of ridiculous he gets your money to enjoy on vacay while you wait.
     
  6. Magnets And Melodies

    Magnets And Melodies Member

    Messages:
    4,070
    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2016
    Location:
    Alberta
    If you're smart you'll take the refund.
     
  7. whitehall

    whitehall Member

    Messages:
    5,243
    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2004
    Location:
    Annapolis
    Take the refund , when he comes back offer him less money.
     
  8. Texsunburst59

    Texsunburst59 Member

    Messages:
    4,278
    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2005
    Location:
    Texas Gulf Coast
    If the deal started out like this, it can only end badly.

    Get out now
     
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  9. Jayyj

    Jayyj Supporting Member

    Messages:
    4,195
    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2015
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    I've had something similar happen to me, bought a guitar on a Buy It Now listing and the guy was about to go on holiday so couldn't ship it. I didn't think it was any big deal, just meant I had to wait a couple of weeks. I guess in your case he could have said something when you were haggling but I can see his point of view - if it's been listed a while, he's answering offer messages whilst trying to do other things, then when you hit the buy button he realises he doesn't practically have time to get it out... I'd just chalk it down to the downside of dealing with individuals rather than businesses.

    To try to put a positive spin on it, I'd much rather wait a couple of weeks that have someone boxing it up in a mad panic with whatever bits and pieces of packaging he had on hand in the moment.
     
  10. tjontheroad

    tjontheroad Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    6,709
    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2014
    Location:
    New Jersey... YOU GOTTA PROBLEM WITH THAT?!?!
    He's going to go vacation with your money? Better get it back now.
     
  11. Jabberwocky

    Jabberwocky Member

    Messages:
    718
    Joined:
    May 14, 2010
    He is using your money interest free for the two weeks that he is on vacation. This is going to end badly for you. Take your refund now. If there is a guitar for sale when he returns then you send him your money.

    You know what? I suspect he just needs a free loan. When he returns he is going to refund you and say that the guitar is no longer for sale. This happens, mate.
     
    sonofspy, Zandalf, Tonekat and 10 others like this.
  12. naveed211

    naveed211 Member

    Messages:
    1,720
    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2010
    Location:
    Madison, WI
    +1 on this. It’s annoying you have to wait and he should’ve let that be known. But if you got a guitar you really want at a good price, be patient and wait it out.

    If you don’t want it that badly, back out. If you do want it and it goes south after he gets back, handle it.
     
    LeftyGtrPlr, bluesoul, cratz2 and 2 others like this.
  13. sksmith66

    sksmith66 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    2,858
    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2010
    that is exactly what I'd do. he'll say no because he's pissed he didn't get the original offer. Then when the guitar is still on the market in a week I'd offer him even less money.
     
  14. scmavl

    scmavl Enjoyer Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    3,055
    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2009
    Location:
    NC
    If it feels like it's a bad deal, it'll end up a bad deal. Cut and run.
     
    sonofspy, darth_tar, Flatscan and 4 others like this.
  15. data_null

    data_null Member

    Messages:
    322
    Joined:
    Sep 20, 2018
    Interest free? So you're assuming the seller was going to take out a loan to go on vacation?

    Also, how is it going to end badly for the OP? If he decides to wait the two weeks he'll either receive a guitar or he won't. If he doesn't receive it then Reverb will take care of the problem.
     
    bossaddict, xrcdan, MkIIC+ and 7 others like this.
  16. budglo58

    budglo58 Member

    Messages:
    1,763
    Joined:
    May 12, 2009
    Childish passive /aggressive tantrum on his part. Get your refund now . Hes calling your bluff . If you havent moved on when he gets back you can revisit it. I agree , let him use his own money for vacation.
     
    sonofspy, DCross, Jabberwocky and 2 others like this.
  17. Magnets And Melodies

    Magnets And Melodies Member

    Messages:
    4,070
    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2016
    Location:
    Alberta
    Why go through the hassle? By agreeing to wait for the 2 weeks you're giving the seller permission to delay shipment. You're setting a precedent that it's ok.

    Do you think Reverb will be jumping out of their seats to help you? No. It's gonna be a back and forth. At the end of the day yeah you'll get your money back... but why the hassle? Why the hoops?
     
    sonofspy, zryder, Mad-kiwi and 3 others like this.
  18. Drew816

    Drew816 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    3,824
    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2007
    Location:
    Raccoon City
    Ya, this can only end badly. Take your refund and keep shopping. I wouldn't consider buying from this guy regardless...

    Good luck!
     
  19. macmax77

    macmax77 Supporting Member

    Messages:
    11,592
    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2005
    Location:
    Pembroke pines-Santiago-Greenville
    if I sell something I usually tell when I am shipping and if I am going to be out of town, I do tell before selling and when I'll be able to ship.

    Take your refund and buy again when he is back.
     
  20. Guitarwiz007

    Guitarwiz007 Silver Supporting Member

    Messages:
    1,170
    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2011
    Location:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Take the refund. Shop for two weeks. If it's still available and you haven't gotten anything, stick him with your original offer.
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice