Increase In Gear For Sale

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Newmanj24, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Newmanj24

Newmanj24 Member

I'm amazed at the number of guitars for sale on the emporium. It's either the increase awareness of TGP, for a great way to buy and sell or the economy bringing out sellers.

I would like to see the guitars listed by brand and model not unlike Ebay. it would make it easier to zero in on what one's looking for.

Let me know your thoughts.

2. Kappy

Kappy Member

Wish I had about $30k to blow on guitars and amps right now...the deals are sweet on some quality gear!

That being said, the search function (advanced search) meets my needs just fine.

3. suhrbrutal

suhrbrutal Senior Member

4. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

Overall I'd estimate the reasons as loss of employment/tough financial times, holiday season and definitely because TGP is a well known place to move gear of the mid to higher end type. Lower end stuff goes as well but it would most any forum.

I'm satisfied with the search function as well and really like the addition of the ebay links on the TGP home site. Categories would be nice & make it easier for the user but I'm not so sure what type of work it would mean for the mods beside more area for them to police which I'm sure they're not too fond of.

5. John Thigpen

John Thigpen Member

Not to mention the decline of eBay as a decent place to buy and sell gear.

John

6. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

Craigslist is the same right, crazy deals to be had.

7. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

lotta people sitting on a lotta stuff, who need or want some cash ... plus the decline of eBay as noted ... great time to be buying.

8. Jazzydave

Jazzydave Seeker Silver Supporting Member

I see this as well and as mentioned, its probably due to an increase in financial instability on some people's part. On the flip side, supposedly Guitar Center and the other big companies are seeing a pretty good year with low to mid grade guitars - more and more kids getting into it and people who are laid off revisiting their roots maybe?

I'd like to see the Emporium better organized, even if only by price or something. I'm not sure that the software would support something like that though or they probably would have done it already.

Brian, Scott, Big Mike, etc. - I'm sure this has already been addressed in the past?

9. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

There doesn't need to be better organization. Just use the advanced search. It accomplishes the same thing.

10. Jazzydave

Yes, but that all depends on how the seller words the ad. How can you search for guitars within your budget with the current system? Is there a way to do a search for a Gibson Les Paul between $1200-1600?

I guess if you're pretty savvy with search logics and are willing to put in that much information it might work...

With a system where you put in the make, model, and price (or trade, or whatever), you'd be able to find what you're looking for much faster.

11. Kappy

Kappy Member

I wouldn't mind cabs and speakers in their own section, separate from amp heads and amp combos.

12. VanR

VanR Senior Member

And a bad time to be a seller. I spotted a good deal on a goldtop LP, so I've got a couple of guitars on craigslist for practically give away prices and not even a scammer has emailed me.

13. Guitar Josh

Guitar Josh Resident Curmudgeon Silver Supporting Member

The emporium is a casual place to buy and sell gear. If power buying is what you want, there is eBay or other dedicated sales sites.

14. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

The fun of the emporium to me - not that I use it, or anything ;) - is in the browsing. you never know what you're gonna find in there. If it were all categorized, it would take away a lot of the fun. If I want something specific, I just use the search function...

15. Jazzydave

Come on Josh, you know what I mean man. I hate eBay just like everyone else and I'm obviously not into "power buying." I didn't say turn it into an auction site.

Mojo - I hear you on that as well. 99% of my time is spent browsing and I always come across at least a few guitars I wish I had the extra cash for! That's how I ended up with your old Vinetto Legato. I ended up trading it for a Custom Shop LP but it was a killer guitar and I've been looking for one with a more traditional style finish for a long time now.

There are times though when I'm looking for something in particular or have a limited amount of money to spend (who am I kidding? I ALWAYS have a limited amount!).

Hey, I'm not complaining about the Emporium at all. I like it the way it is. If they did change something though, there's my input.

;)

16. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

Great time to buy! To sell.... not so much.

17. aleclee

aleclee TGP Tech Wrangler Staff Member

Problem is that any such system would have to presume one item per ad. Given issues with people "hogging" valued first page emporium real estate with multiple ads and excessive bumping, TGP policies (one new ad per day, 2 ad max per section) encourage the combining of multiple items in an ad.

If we were to go to a more searchable system, limitations of existing vBulletin add-ons would likely require giving up some features that many find desirable: bumping, inquiries/replies in the ad thread, etc. The alternative would be developing custom emporium software, a load of hurt that we're not likely to take on any time soon.

18. JefeMaximo

JefeMaximo Huge Member Silver Supporting Member

Yep, my guess is that the selling has outpaced the buying because very few people can buy stuff right before Christmas in any year, and more so this year due to the recession. I would think the buying will pick up in January, but still not enough to slow the downward push on prices. Even though the overall economy may be picking up, the excess gear is linked to unemployment, which shows no sign of improving.

If you've got a job that you think you will be keeping for the foreseeable future, it will be a good time to buy gear. I've sold two guitars in the last week, and thankfully I've been able to break even, which is a minor miracle in this economy. I've also bought two items at what I think were very good prices. Very thankfully, I am in a position where I don't have to sell right away.

19. Jon C

Jon C Silver Supporting Member

most definitely...

I've cut way back on gigging (somewhat by choice, somewhat not) so I have some guitars & amps that are in great shape & great players but a lousy market for them. Not to mention some vintage things ... Mostly I want more room in my little music space!

But with this market I will just hold onto them for some time, my only rule is that if something comes in, something (at least that many "pieces" of whatever) must leave. :cool:

20. Jazzydave

That makes complete sense. I knew you guys had already thought about that one!

Thanks for the response...