• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Incredible Bill Asher T-Style

Stringmaster

Platinum Supporting Member
Anyone know what pickups those are:

Yeah, I know what pickups those are.......Their mine!
Funny you should post--you beat me to the punch. I snagged this guitar at NAMM. When I first saw it, it jumped out at me--and when I played it, I instantly bonded. No kidding, at least three different passers by at NAMM stated "That guitar is YOU!" "You need to buy it!". So I saw that as a sign, and jumped!

Bill wanted to keep the guitar till the end of NAMM, and ended up getting a couple more orders for similar guitars. Despite all of the hassle and burnout from NAMM, Bill promptly cleaned/buffed the guitar, and set it up to my preference with .011's, and shipped it out by Wed. So to answer your question and add more:

The p/u are custom wound Vintage Vibe blades. I suppose the neck is similar to a Charlie Christian, but Bill indiated that he spec'd it to be more like an old Supro pickup, with a wide, flat coil. It sounds very much like my old Stratotone Hershey bar pickup, but with a bit lower output. The bridge p/u was wound to match, and that it does!

Some other specs:

1 11/16" wide (and beefy) maple neck
1 piece swamp ash body
Vol/Tone/Varitone (Tonesyler)
Waverly tuners

Bill is a great guy too, and a fantastic Luthier--highly recommended. I've been wanting to get one of his guitars for quite a while, and this one has spoken to me the most! I logged in about 6 hours on her today.

Go for it!!
(Sorry for the giant pics)

redgold

Silver Supporting Member
That's beautiful! I wish more builders would dare to add their own visual flavor to a classic shape.

Ray

todd richman

Dana, thanks for chiming in. I actually had an Asher on order 2 years ago but had to cancel due to financial issues at the time. When I saw yours I was immediately smitten-I am a Tele and Esquire player now with a pretty large pedalboard and XITS Sadie amp-doing the classic rock meets Texas rock thing and roots stuff also. I would love to heasr some clips of the Asher-do you have any?

I spent more time at the Asher booth this show than any place else. Watching Steve Postell and Jeff Pevar numerous times, Marc Ford, and Lauren Ellis (I think I was on the verge of becoming a stalker over her... :eek: ), plus those great guitars, that was the place to be.

Stringmaster

Sorry no clips yet, as I just got the guitar--I'll see what I can whip up.

I'm not sure these p/u would be my first choice for ZZ type stuff--I always think of that as a more HB tone. These pickups have a more "vintage" output and feel--fairly clean and articulate, which works great for me. I'm sure Bill would accomodate special p/u requests to get you where you want to go. BTW, he designed this p/u to be interchangable with a Firebird neck pickup, should someone want to go that way.

Yes, the chicken head knob is for the Tonestyler. It's a bit redundant having two master tone controls, but it seems good for making subtle changes.

todd richman

Hey Dana, I think the vintage output of those pickups would be perfect for my pedalboard which is where i derive the different shades of dirt from boost through OD, Distortion and vintage fuzztones. The amp is also accomodating to pedals and has that EL-84 chime and growl while being the perfect platform for tone shaping with the pedalboard.

Stringmaster

Ok Todd and others--I just whipped up a quick and dirty clip to give an idea. Recorded straight into my Edirol recorder (mistakes and all), with my '65 Vibrolux Reverb:
Vol: 5
Treble: 5.5
Bass: 4.5
Reverb: 3

I tried to vary my attack and approach a bit to show the great dynamic range the guitar has--a must for me!
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7274708

todd richman

Thanks Dana. The guitar has a definite old school blues vibe-I can hear it through my rig sounding big for the tones I need. I like those pickups. I bet the guitar resonates like crazy too.

sinner

Congrats Stringmaster!
Billy set up a bunch of my guitars and it was always an added pleasure to come by and see what he had on the builder's table. Played an all-rosewood S-type guitar once that was awesome. Don't know if he ever did another of those, beautiful neck!

Austin AL

not only does Bill make the best guitars I have ever played, but he is the nicest guy you could ever talk to. If you want a custom guitar, you should call him. Also, for those that read the Fretboard Journal there are some pics of him working on a spanish style Weissnborn taken by his wife that are amazing.

todd richman

He is a great guy and his work is spectacular-just ask Marc Ford, Rich and Chris Robinson, Jimmy Herring and Ben Harper. I will have to check out the Fretboard Journal-is it the current issue? Could you scan the pics here? Bill also let me know that this T-Style guitar is called the Super T and is fitted with those Asher/Biltoft Vintage Vibe pickups. He is planning a run of them for next month. I so need one of these!

markom89

I've wanted an Asher for a couple years now... I'd like one of his lapsteels first, though and then one of his electrics.

AlanB

Someone say Asher Guitars? I've been buying guitars from Bill since about '01. He does impeccable work that sounds great. Been lucky to get to meet him and his wife at his shop a couple of years ago. You can't go wrong!

Great guitar Stringmaster! In fact, I was talking to Bill last week wanting to purchase your guitar but he said it sold at NAMM to a great player. Congratulations! Looks like I'm gonna have to order one here soon.

Here are mine-

Ultra-tone Marc Ford Signature w/African mahogany body

Electro-sonic with Firebird type pups, flamed koa, honduran mahogany body

Ben Harper Series 2 Lapsteel #001 flamed maple/honduran mahogany

Dual Tone prototype with flamed redwood top/swamp ash body and Rick horseshoe pup

Ben Harper Series 1 lapsteel Flamed koa, honduran mahogany body

Ben Harper Series 1 lapsteel Flamed koa, honduran mahogany body

Royal Hawaiian acoustic hollowneck lap guitar French polished koa- an acoustic beast!

Each of these guitars are great instruments. Bill builds guitars that have a unique look and are toneful beauties. His Ultra-tones and Electronsonic look like nothing else and have a great variety of sounds. The lapsteels come with heavy strings and are huge sounding. Love em! Enjoy it Dana and your clips sound great!

See Ya!

AlanB
My gear site: homepage.mac.com/myguitars/

Trending Topics

Top Bottom