Incredible new McInturff

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Chris Hall, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

Terrycaster Custom Trem.

Just an incredible guitar. Fit, feel, finish, playability and the all important TONE!

Specs:

One piece swamp ash body, Mahogany cap, mild V neck carve, full binding, 3 - way switch, one volume (push pull to engage/cut the middle pup), tone and the magical midrance control. All powered by a trio of Peter Florance pickups. IN the neck is an AL 90, P90 with alnico 5 magnets, reverse wound singlecoil and a tele bridge pup.

Terry can do a much better job of describing the Terrycaster than I can. I will say that the bridge pup is pure Tele twang. The neck pup looks like a P90 but doesn't have any of the snarl you'd expect with a P90. It's an extremely musical pickup, I believe Terry has used "Strat on Steroids" and "Hendrix like" to describe the tone of the AL 90.

I'm not one to post pictures of every new guitar I recieve here but this one and Terry deserve the attention. IMO, he's building the best guitars available right now and he just keeps getting better.

Sorry in advance, the pictures may be a bit big.:eek:

Art shot.

And another.

Perfect match.

2. artandink

artandink Member

Hey Chris,

That is incredible!

Now I know why you let the other one (of two) go. You have to let us know how the trem compares with the 3-barrel.

BTW - I ordered an AL-90 from Voodoo for the neck. Should have it soon. And, of course, loving my T-Caster. :RoCkIn

Art

3. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

I still miss that one Art.

Hope all is well. :dude

4. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Beautiful axe. Interesting, the fretboard dots are pretty close to an exact match to my '99 Godin LGX-SA.

5. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

"but this one and Terry deserve the attention. IMO, he's building the best guitars available right now and he just keeps getting better."

AGREED !

I Still love my old beat up (cosmetically) Taurus.

6. NeuroLogic

NeuroLogic Supporting Member

Thanks for the post Chris. I've been on the same waivelength w/ Terry for along time as this is pretty much what I have been planning as a sister to my Terrycaster. I know you've had a tone of Fender and aftermarket Strats & my impression is that this is the best one ever. Presently but subject to change, I'm thinking in the direction of a 3 way tapable humbucker in the rear only because I want no. 2 to be very different and do not feel compelled personally to have a second Tele rear pickup. However, the mid control certainly can take the Florence rear way in the direction of a humbucker. Therfore, both options would come from different directions to essentially the same point. Any comments on choices for the hum-b rear?

7. prsflame

prsflame Member

That guitar looks absolutely stunning, and I really dig the specs. I've never been a big Mcinturff fan, but this guitar has really peaked my curiosity. Congrats!!:D

8. jesper

jesper Member

9. phoenix

phoenix Member

Wow! congrats. No one builds like Terry.
    [​IMG]

10. The Eristic

The Eristic Member

11. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Incredible instrument, Chris! :)

As usual, I am torn between a Terrycaster and a DRP based off of the FLE. I really need the money to get both...lol.

12. Shane S

Shane S Member

That guitar looks great! I love the black w/ binding look - very classy.

Does the guitar have a rosewood neck?

13. Shane S

Shane S Member

That Taurus has wicked cool quilt top!

14. Jake

Jake Member

I'm guessing not as I don't expect that Terry would have applied a black finish to it - nor do I think Chris would have wanted it that way.

Gorgeous guitar, Chris. I keep thinking I'm done with guitars, but after seeing this one I got so many ideas floating in my head for "one more". Gotta sleep on 'em for a while just to see if they don't go away.

I'd love to see some more pics sometime.

15. Crazy Carl

Crazy Carl Member

Chris- you suck! :cool:

Phoenix- DROOL! Izzat d/c a Gemini w/Zodiac 'board? Gawd, that is gorgeous!

16. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

Thanks guys!

No rosewood neck on this one. The Terrycaster is offered with a IRW neck or with a mahogany neck, I like the look of an all black guitar and prefer the tone of a mahogany neck.

I think a humbucker in the bridge might get to far away from Terry's original vision of what the TC is supposed to sound like. At least that's the impression I got from him.

Jake I'll get more pictures as soon as I get a sunny day. Damn midwestern winters. :BITCH :D

Edit: I highly recommend anyone who hasn't checked out a TCM lately do it. Anyone close to Chicago that would like to check out this guitar or my other TCM's, chris@blackstrat.com

17. fabiomayo

fabiomayo Member

VERY NICE! I've been daydreaming about the Terrycaster for quite a while now... It appears I'll keep it that way for a looong time....

Anyway, congrats on your guitar. Just a small request that's weather independent :D : Any possibility of sound clips?

All the best...

18. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

Sound clips would be a possibility but you really wouldn't want to hear me play. :jo

19. BBHollowbody

BBHollowbody Member

Chris, that thing is awesome. I should be getting my Terrycaster this month--its in the spray booth. I'm quite psyched.

Brandon

20. Chris Hall

Chris Hall Member

You owe me pictures once it arrives Brandon! :dude