Indaba Music, eJamming, etc...anybody here use these sites?

Discussion in 'The Sound Hound Lounge' started by slippyknees, Feb 3, 2012.

1. slippyknees

slippyknees Supporting Member

hey guys,
    some of you checked out my last thread about what draws you to the gear page over any other musician based site you could be spending time on. i really appreciate the responses thus far. sounds like we all come here for the same basic reasons.

i've been unearthing (for me at least) a few other sites like indaba music and ejamming which, on paper, sound pretty interesting for anyone serious about their music.

that got me wondering: does anyone here use these (or similar) sites? what's the appeal and do they work as advertised? again, they sound cool on paper but i'm a bit skeptical and wanted to get some thoughts about the experience.

thanks guys/gals!

2. Kepi

Kepi Guest

I tried Indaba Music for a while, but it just never really stuck. I'm not sure why - definitely a good idea on paper but actually setting up collaboration proved to be pretty complicated. Your Mileage May Vary.

3. Motterpaul

Motterpaul Tone is in the Ears

I tried eJamming. The concept is great - live jamming with other players. I believe it is owned by Fender but it is managed by the developers. It works as advertised but is really pretty hard to get started - surprisingly hard.

Most people need to download a thrid party driver fpr their soundcard (ASIO4ALL) which makes it easier to monitor your input as well as sound from an outside source with a minimum of latency.

There are people online at the site who will help you get it up & running, and they are very patient and helpful. If you are lucky and you get it working, (my experience anyway) you then log in and find maybe only 5 other people online, and none of them will respond to a jam request. (You click their names and instantly get a message that they are in a private jam - so go away).

I must have logged in 20 times and only jammed once. You are restricted pretty much to plugging your instrument in direct - and moniting through headphones (because of latency problems if your bandmates can hear themselves through your feed). It works on the principle that latency coming to you doesn't matter as long as you are playing in time to the music you hear (sounds odd, I know, but it does seem to work), for this to work you have to be able to monitor yourself live and mix that in with the other players coming off of eJamming.

Then the other problem is that you only get a 30-day trial, where you are lucky if you find anyone to jam with - and then they want to charge you a regular monthly fee.

My opinion is that they should give it away for a year and really build up a following of ready to play players - so the new people who try have someone to jam with.

The jam I had - bass, drums and me on guitar... lasted a good 10 minutes before a glitch caused the connection to drop. Those are pretty common, too.