Indie Rock/Alternative pedal setup?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by auffredou, May 23, 2008.

1. auffredou

auffredou Member

Well Ive recently admitted to myself that my listening style has gone full-blown indie rock. Being between bands Im starting to move towards this style more in my playing. First move (and one Ive wanted to make for a while regardless of this change in taste), will be the obligatory telecaster. ;)

So just bored and looking at plans for the future, looking to get some input on what pedals, particularly overdrives/distortions, lend themselves well to this style of music?

2. funkycam

funkycam Member

probably the knee jerk reaction is big muff (or it's boutique equivalent... this is TGP after all!)
    I also heard of guys using a red llama clone eg tonefactor mule & the menatone TBIAC

3. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

think lo-fi and analog. fuzzes, cheap, noisy delays, anything weird and "wrong". if eric johnson or robben ford would hate it, you're on the right track.

4. amphead777

amphead777 Member

The standard works well for any style of Modern Rock. The Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion. Used by a lot of bands.

5. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Plenty of "indie" rockers use standard gear... just in interesting ways. It's not the gear, it's the style. Damon Che in Thee Speaking Canaries had a very typical Marshall sound, Jawbox, Slint, Hum etc. had a pretty typical heavy-rock sound, etc. etc.

The word 'indie' is extremely diluted, so it would be helpful if you mentioned what kind of bands / sounds you have in mind.

6. auffredou

auffredou Member

truth to that "indie" statement, ben c. I say it all the time.

Im not necessarily saying different, Im just noting that I (and maybe I just havent looked close enough) havent seen too many tubescreamers on pedalboards of the bands im thinking of. That answer of the DS-2 was along the lines of what I was thinking.

Im not necessarily referring to weird, or heavy either, but that typical pop-indie sound found with (usually) a telecaster and light overdrive. (think Death Cab for Cutie, or that general idea of "indie-pop" or "indie-rock" could be the Shins, Bloc Party, Interpol, Spoon, and so on and so forth)

7. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Ah! Gotcha.

The non-mid-humped, clear and defined OD's would be nice. I always thought the Aphek Sunday Driver would totally be excellent for that genre. Really nice, clear OD with a great range of gain from none to light to heavier. Has some really nice body and grit to it. Then again, I've got a friend who uses a older Ibanez Tube King to great effect with his '67 Bassman and Fender Bullet for a great and versatile indie sound.

-Ben

8. sandman

sandman Member

you've already got a Tim...so, F U Z Z. I say Fender Blender for those bbbbbbbbzzzzgrrrrhhhhhhhhkhhhhraooooooooooo moments. :BOUNCE :AOK

9. Seditious

Seditious Member

I use a Divided by 13 Stardust Fuzz and a Demeter F.O.D. 1 for my drive sounds. It all depends on your guitar/amp combo and how you use it with the pedals.

10. aaronblues

aaronblues Supporting Member

If you're thinking Death Cab, I know they both have used MXR D+'s at times, for their heavier parts, and Chris has used a Fulldrive also. Their website says that Ben is using a Box of Rock right now (!!!!).

I used to cover some shins stuff, and i really liked the COT for that sorta ripping biting clean tone (with a telecaster of course. Surprised?) Absolutely nails the So Says I tone, and then kick in a fuzz for the lead lines.

Spoon is awesome, (seen 'em 3 times now, met the guys last time!!) but i haven't tried to chase down there tones too much. I would think that anything that gets you in the cranked tube amp are would be good, with a bright tele or P-90 pickup.I have no idea if Britt is using any OD's for his normal tone, but i sorta doubt it. TBIAC probably would be a great choice.

Great bands!!!

cheers

11. enocaster

enocaster Member

When I saw Spoon a year ago, Britt was playing a walnut 335 into a ZVex Super Duper 2in1, a Klon, and a few other thing... maybe (my memory is fuzzy) a TR-2 trem, and a white Boss pedal - either a delay or a tuner. This all went to an AC30.

12. auffredou

auffredou Member

really cool to see alot of people liking the same music here. thanks for all the info guys. Aaronblues I agree; although Spoon has been one of the regulars in my ever changing favorite bands list over the past few years, I wouldnt really model my tone after Britt, just citing them as an example of my taste. I really see him as more of a 335->Vox kinda guy with a ton of reverb.

Question for you guys. From what Ive been finding online I have seemed to notice alot of guys using boss reverb pedals. Any advantage to these over the amp reverb on, say, a Deluxe Reverb or other fender tube amp?

13. Brantleycoker

Brantleycoker Member

i play indie rock and i use a tele/jazzmaster/les paul through an ac booster and ocd with a keely compressor, i also use lots of other stuff too like an empress tremelo, pog,empress superdelay, t rex replica and roommate. i love my tone and oh yea through a tophat super deluxe. i love the way it works with inde type stuff!

14. sunken.anchor

sunken.anchor Member

An analog/lo-fi delay, heavy fuzz, rat are my picks. Oh, and can't go wrong with a tremolo.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  15. pbone

pbone Member

The RAT is an absolute staple of indie rock.

16. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

depends what kind of indie you play. Indie rock is a VERY broad blanket term.

I'm pretty much an all out indie rock guitarist now and my board includes a lot of stuff also found on Eric Johnson's board.

Every listen to Oasis?? Gallagher is a pretty legit blues guitarist if you ask me.

17. pbone

pbone Member

I really wouldn't say Oasis is indie.

At all.

18. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

In the beginning I would say... but once you play a festival for 100k+ people you are now the antithesis of indie.

19. pbone

pbone Member

Haha, true true.

20. ramjet2007

ramjet2007 Member

I agree totally mate. Indie is a very broad ranging genre nowadays, whereas it was once well defined within much narrower boundaries by such bands as R.E.M.

I am part of what we consider to be an Indie Rock band however - check out www.myspace.com/thebrave

As an earlier comment noted, generally lo-fi tones are the order of the day. Yes, The Big Muff (in various guises), a tubescreamer (or similar gritty clone), and a vintage Rat. Generally Electro Harmonix pedals are quite popular with Indie rockers.

Me? I deploy those, and a few others. For dirt boxes I have an MI Audio Boost N Buff > Barber Silver LTD (I highly rate these discontinued boxes of joy!) > modded Rat Deucetone (a gritty medium OD setting mostly with heaps of presence - huge amount of other tones in there too) > Boutique Effects Pedals 808 clone (fantastic higher gain OD's when stacked) > EHX Little Big Muff (not as raw as Big Muff Pi). I also have used an Bixonic Expandora, MI Audio Classic Distortion (yes, one of only 90 odd), and a modded TS9 (I like the Deucetone more!).

Other than that, EHX does some great whacked out sound effects, EHX HOG is used a bit in my band's EP, a Vox Clyde McCoy wah, a Barber Tone Press compressor (don't use it much though), EHX Deluxe Electric Mistress (very, very musical modulation pedal - The Police tone in a box), Boss RE20 Space Echo.....and a few other pedals I can't think of right now!

Hanging out for an Empress Super Delay as well!!