Indie sound

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Laimon, Feb 15, 2012.

1. Laimon

Laimon Member

Hey guys,

I have a question for you.
    I play mostly metal, so I am used to hi-gain amps distortion...and if I listen to some indie/alternative, I just have no idea how they get their squeaking guitar sound.
    An example, listen to this at 0:33:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9HfTGzTKx38

I have no idea what combination of pickups-dirt pedal-amp might give you this sound.
    Perhaps someone of you can instruct me?
    Thanks!

2. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Probably single coils into a cleanish Fender ( maybe a HotRod series) with some sort of boost or top boost style pedal?

3. Laimon

Laimon Member

4. telecasting

telecasting Member

Maybe a light dirt or low set fuzz, but mostly it's technique. Fast up and down strumming on chords (either barred or inverted) high up on the neck.

5. Laimon

Laimon Member

Wow, that's quite illuminating actually...I gotta admit that when I saw people strumming so high up, I thought it was sloppiness :hide

6. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

:facepalm

"indie" guitarists GENERALLY (not always) work with clean or just slightly hairy amps (Deluxe Reverb, Vox AC30, etc) and then use dirt/fuzz pedals.

A lot of times for that chimey bright sound, single coils are best (Teles, Strats, Jags, Jazzmasters).

that particular sound to me sounds like a germanium flavored type fuzz pedal, playing some inversions higher up on the neck.

7. Laimon

Laimon Member

Forgive me, my bad :hide2

Wait wait wait. First of all, what do you mean by inversions? So far I was thinking of "inverted chords", that usually refers to third chords .
    Second, when we talk about "high up in the neck"...are we talking about the left hand or right hand? Cause I was referring to where the right hand strums (in this particular case I believe the chords too are played around the 12th fret, left-hand-wise)

8. mhuxtable

mhuxtable Member

i mean really there's no "right way" to play this stuff.....its more about the song writing.

but when i say inversions i mean this type of chording:

9. WolfStache

WolfStache Member

^Wow Vampire Weekend is pretty boring nowadays...first album was killer.

Easy. For a dirty sound, DS-1 or Rat into a Memory Man, so it clips the MM. Bass on low crank mids, highs and reverb. Fender or Vox set clean. For a cleaner sound I used a compressor>EQ w/gain>TS808. I primarily play "indie rock" and got that sound very easily. If you want more of the surfy dream pop guitar sound a Jaguar or Jazzmaster is your best friend...well reverb really. I prefer my Firebird though :) Meat

As far a boutique pedals go, I find a Scarab Deluxe covers alot of the sounds Id use for a straight up indie rock dirt.

10. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

I see a lot of indie bands with low-priced vintage Fenders (duo-sonics, mustangs, etc.) into Silverface Super Reverbs. Pedals are usually rats, SD1s, or TS-types. Just my experience of seeing live bands in the "indie" vein in the last few years.