Indyguitarist CrankedAC: quick review

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Bucksears, Oct 25, 2008.

1. Bucksears

Bucksears Silver Supporting Member

Ok, got the CrankedAC in the mail today (thanks Brian!) and wanted to post some quick initial impressions. Using my Ibanez Artist into my Super Reverb RI:
    - It has a nice range of gain, from 'overdrivey' to full-on distortion (not metal)
    - The gain is very tube-like in nature, but is a little compressed-sounding over almost all of the gain range
    - low-noise; I maxed out the gain and it got just a wee bit of background noise
    - SUPER bright green LED, a purple-sparkle finish that Prince would be proud of
    - The CrankedAC has a lot of volume to it; can't stand a pedal that I have to turn the volume up to 12 o'clock or higher just to reach unity. Not so with the CAC
    - Bass and mids are full (not flabby at all) and warm; the CAC almost just sounds like a great Marshall distortion
    - BIGGEST COMPLAINT: it is quite a dark pedal, or rather, the tone control just doesn't get bright enough. Not sure if it is using dual-LPFs like the BSIAB II and some ROG circuits, but it feels like it.

Overall, it might be a keeper; it is a high-quality build and has a great sound. The sustain and 'growl' is there for a choice rhythm pedal, but has the mids and gain to do nice lead work. If it were brighter, I could see backing off on the gain and getting some jangle going. I agree with previous reviewers, there is no Tom Petty or Peter Buck in sight, but for a great British-inspired distortion, this is a nice addition to the fold.

2. jazzandmetal?

jazzandmetal? Supporting Member

I recently listened to some youtube clips of that pedal and they sounded great! Where did you get it from? The youtube clips sounded more like a marshall to me than a vox.

3. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

Thanks Buck - it has a series of low pass filters sort of similar to what ROG does on the end, just different frequencies. I have thought about adding a 'bright' switch to it. I've also thought about doing a bass/treble 'top boost' type eq on the end. The only thing with that is that it scoops the mids a bit.
    bw

4. Bucksears

jazzandmetal,
    I got it direct from Indyguitarist.com (straight from Brian W).

Brian,
    Another thing: the tone control doesn't seem to do much after the first 1/3 of the turn (going clockwise); is that about accurate?

Also, is there anything that can be done to brighten it up a little? Different cap values in the LPFs?

Thanks again,
    Buck

5. BrianWampler

BrianWampler Member

I think it depends on how dark your tone is - for brighter amps, you can here the range much better throughout the taper.

to mod it, shoot me an email and I'll send you a mod you can do if you want.
    bw

6. Bucksears

Thanks Brian.
    E-mail sent to the support address.