Indyguitarist/Wampler "Ectasy Drive", anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SunnyRollins, Feb 10, 2008.

1. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

Sounds and looks great on the homepage...affordable, Dumble/Bogner guaranteed...
    Has anyone tried it yet ? :confused:

2. cube

cube Member

i am interested in this pedal too.. anybody tried it?

3. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

I got one. The "Dum" side is a very, very musical drive with some really sweet overtones and decay. I haven't tried the "Ecstasy" side yet, because I liked the "Dum" side so much.

As far as comparisons go, I have not had the priviledge of playing through any other "D*mble" type pedals besides the Small Fry, so I don't feel qualified to make any comparisons yet.

Unfortunately, my unit had some oscillation coming from the bass pot, so I've sent it in for repairs.

I'll tell you more of what I think when it gets back.

Here's some eye candy while we're at it:
    [​IMG]

4. demiruyar

demiruyar Member

Anyone experienced the exstasy side:)?

5. SunnyRollins

SunnyRollins Member

thanks spartacus, please give us more details when it's back
    it seems the "ecstasy" side is gainier and more aggressive

6. popsongsmith

popsongsmith Senior Member

how does it compare with the small fry?

7. ogredog

ogredog Member

just got one this week and had time to play with it sat. night...

haven't compared it to any others...but i especially like the "dum" side...

hard to describe the effect, but it is very pleasing to the ear...a different type of presence and sparkle...

haven't tried it with all my amps or guitars yet, but last night i ran it with my already very nice sounding 100 wt. marshall 4 input w/mercury mag. OT and voodoo master volume and my '05 faded LP w/burst buckers...

and it was very nice...cleans up great when turning back guitar volume...

exctasy side sounds good too (more gainy)...but right now i'm drawn to the "dum" side the most...

8. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Interested.

Apparently, his Metal Zone mod is so great, this pedal got me thinking?

Can it do heavy, modern, kick-in-the-chest distortion (no bees in a can)?

9. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Mine should be here any day now... Feb 22nd would be 4 weeks from the date I ordered... so I'm anticipating it pretty heavily.

I added the Wampler Pinnacle-2 to my order to give me the Eddie Van Halen'ish stuff

10. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

To me the Pinnacle was more like Death Metal in a box. TONS of gain. Good tone. Just way too much gain for me.

11. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

So... is it like a Boss Metalzone or something?... if so.. Im not gonna like it.

I was thinking it was more like a CMATMODS Brownie or something...

12. ben_allison

ben_allison Member

Can it do "metal zone" tones, minus the crap?

What I mean is, "chainsaw" like modern gain, with scooped mids and gobs of lowend?

13. musickbox

musickbox Supporting Member

The Pinnacle or the Ecstacy Drive?

14. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

Ive got a 2 day old Wampler Ecstacy for sale. Just listed it on the emporium. Let me know if anyone is interested... Get it now rather than waiting 5-8 weeks from the builder

15. cber1517

cber1517 Member

Where you disappointed with it, Hillbilly? I've thought about getting this one or a Small Fry so I am curious what your thoughts are. Thanks!:munch

16. trwigg

trwigg Member

HillbillySims, why exactly are you dumping it after 2 days? It seems another product with way too much hype. It would be nice to be able to try these things before plunking down hundreds of dollars. I don't know anything about the pedal just got on the board this morning and saw your post everywhere and was curious. Peace.

17. Lucky Dog Guitars

Lucky Dog Guitars Member

NOT AT ALL!... its awesome. But like I said, I felt it was real similar to my Xotic BB...

the thing is... I CANT sell my Xotic because my wife got it for me for our anniversary.. ha ha

So the Ecstacy is gone...

18. iamspartacus

iamspartacus Member

Sorry for taking so long to respond. It's been a while since I've been able to play through my rig for an extended period of time.

Compared to the Small Fry, in getting "Dumblish" tones, The ecstasy is a grainier and a bit looser than the Small fry on its 10k setting. The Small fry is able to get looser by turning down the "dynamics" knob, but it can't quite get the "grain" of the Ecstasy. I like the grainier characteristic of the Ecstasy better because it seems to be able to cut through the mix more.

I've also been fortunate enough to get a zendrive recently. The zendrive is a tiny bit tighter than the ecstasy on "dum" mode, and it definitely has more midrange. The midrange in the zen is especially noticeable when playing chords. I think the increased midrange makes the zendrive a winner for lead lines (and HOLY CRAP, that's some great tone!). Chord wise, especially with ringing open strings, the ecstasy on "dum" sounds much more balanced.

As far as the controls go, the "Bass" and "Treble" knobs of the Ecstasy seem to offer a lot more tone shaping power over the zendrive. The ecstasy can get scary close to the zendrive, and the zendrive can't excatly get to where the ecstasy can go with extreme "bass" or "treble" settings. However, the extreme settings don't necessarily make the pedal sound good.

For the "Ecs" side of the Ecstasy, there is obviously more gain and output, but it's not out of control. The distortion is creamier and a lot more harmonic, from what I can hear. The picking attack is smoother with a bit more "bloom" or "delay," if you know what I mean. The "Ecs" side is a lot of fun, especially since it does chords and leads really, really well.

Hope that was helpful

19. nibus

nibus Supporting Member

Thought I'd bump this up as I picked up an Ecstacy tonight.

First impressions:

Dumble side --
    Didn't play it much yet, though it is louder and not as gainy as the Bogner side. I'm thinking maybe it has no op-amp? More mids, the clipping sounds similar to a good TS.

Ecstacy side --
    Love this sound! Very amp-like. No clean signal blend / TS sound. LOTS of low end if you want it. (I have been running it with the Bass all the way off) Highs are nice and natural, the clipping is very natural sounding. Though the highs can get ice-pickey anywhere past 1:00 on the Treble (on my setup anyway).

From memory, this smokes the Eternity Burst and E6 I had. It is a very "natural" sounding OD. I have never played a Bogner, but to me this pedal sounds like great, natural overdrive without fake pedal-like artifacts. It really is a cross between a vintage and modern sound. Very interesting pedal.

Gripes:
    1) Too much low end for some things
    2) Needs a mids control to complement the bass and treble - I find myself wanting a bit more "mids growl" at times to compliment the low end.
    3) Too big. For a single channel OD, I much prefer small 1290's.

Overall I think this is a real sleeper pedal here on TGP. If you get a chance you really need to try one out, its very unique and natural sounding, quite versatile and touch sensitive as well.

overall a very impressive OD, one of the best I have tried.

20. Claudio74

Claudio74 Member

strange..the Dumb side on mine has way less volume than the ECS side..
    The selector is: up - dumb
    center - boost
    down - ecstasy
    isn't it?

By the way, i really like the dumb side (in fact i play with it all the time). I thought the ECS side had more gain.
    The dumb side is fantastic IMHO.