Inefficient 10" for SFPR?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by tuoti, Aug 30, 2005.

1. tuoti

tuoti Member

I've got a '73 Princeton Reverb coming in a few days and it still has the original speaker. I'm considering what to get and I've searched through the related posts and seen a lot of recommendations. However, my needs seem to be a bit different than most. Whereas most of the threads I've seen people are asking for 10" speakers that are louder and fuller. Fuller is good, tone is definitely king, but I bought the PR as an at home, jam when the kids and wife are asleep kind of amp so I don't want an efficient speaker. If so, I'd probably go with the Emi Ragin Cajun which sounds awesome.

Can anyone recommend a non-efficient 10" speaker that has great tone but will allow me to crank my PR but not be overly loud? I'd like to get into the power tube saturation sweet spot and not shake everyone out of bed in the process. What say ye?

2. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hey, tuoti ;)

I'm wondering how much difference an 8x dB speaker versus 9x speaker is going to be on the volume element.

I'm not really that knowledgable about speakers but my first instinct is to say you may be more likley to acheive what you are looking for by installing an efficient speaker but make sure its wattage capacity is as close to the amp's out put, plus a tad.

I may be way off base but I would think you would get sweeter tones earlier that way.

I'm just as curious to hear what some of the more experienced members have to say on this subject too.

3. tuoti

tuoti Member

I believe the Ragin Cajun has an efficiency rating of 103 DB SPL so maybe something around 97ish would be good.

I dunno either what the net effect but almost every review of the Cajun I see extolls it's virtues which sound awesome but they also comment on what a "loud" speaker it is. Louder, I don't need. Better tone, sweet highs and thumpin', tight bass, yes.

4. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Perhaps the Eminence Legend 102 (Alnico)...

5. Screen Reject

Screen Reject Member

Hey tuoti,
    I replaced the original speaker in my '78 SFPR with an Eminence Legend 105. It sounds great but is louder and cleaner than the stock speaker.....not really what you are looking for.

Curt

6. theelectic

theelectic Guest

I don't think you're going to get that quiet with ANY speaker, no matter how inefficient it is. My 6W Champ is loud enough to wake up folks in the other room when cranked up, and it has a fairly crappy no-name Eminence speaker.

7. tuoti

tuoti Member

That's an overstatement on my part. I'm just looking for a toneful speaker that's not real sensitive. I'm thinking that those two things may be mutually exclusive.

8. Reeek

Reeek Member

Hey, tuoti,

I have a barely used (not broken in for sure) 10 inch 8 ohm alnico plug speaker that I will give you if you pay me $10 for shipping.

I'm not trying to sell it to you, it's free, minus shipping. I think it's a Fender branded speaker but not sure. It is a brand new speaker that was installed in a homebrew I bought but I turned the homebrew into a head so this speaker was used in the old combo (seen in my photo album with the rudimentary cabinet) for just a few hours so you;d even be breaking this speaker in. The cone is ribbed. The voice coil looks like ti may be 1 1/4. Probably a 20 - 25 watt speaker. It handled 12 watts easily in the combo ( single 6L6GC).

If you want to chance the tone for $10 bucks, let me know.

The speaker is blue in color
    Alnico plug magnet, maybe 7-11 ounces
    Ribbed cone
    1 1/4" voicecoil it appears. Maybe 1 inch.
    A silver label on the back plate that has the following:

10446 8 Ohm
    67-0206B0316 G1

Let me know,

Rick

9. theelectic

theelectic Guest

The 67 makes it an Eminence speaker, the -02 means it was probably make in 2002. Model 10446, you might be able to find some info on it on the Eminence website.

10. mr coffee

mr coffee Gold Supporting Member

they are a great sounding speaker..certainly for 10$!

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

12. tuoti

tuoti Member

Wow...thanks Reeek! Of course I'll take it. Email sent. With a 98 DB SPL it sounds perfect.

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

14. tuoti

tuoti Member

Great review. Almost makes me want to take up the harp - lol.

That's a great line. He's referring to the way a note blossoms.