1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive Drum overhead mics - suggestions

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jbird327, May 19, 2006.

1. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I need to pick up 2 mics for a project next week, so it would need to be something I could find at Guitar Center or similar music store. I am looking to spend between $200 - 300 for the pair. I am recording this in my basement and need something a bit better than the SM57s that I already own. I also own one AKG c3000 (black casing) - maybe something that would pair up ok with that? Thanks.

2. covert

covert Member

Get any of these in pairs

MXL 603
    Behringer 8000 (might not be best in your ceiling's low)
    AT 2020

3. LSchefman

LSchefman Member

Getting another AKG might be a good idea.

You should be able to find a matched pair of Oktava MK or MC 012s in your price range. They have become my favorite overhead mics. This includes Neumanns, B&Ks, and other much more expensive models which I've owned or still own.

I like the way they reproduce cymbals, very warm and round, and they don't sound too woofy picking up the other drums in the kit.

4. duffyguitarman

duffyguitarman Member

+1 on the Oktava's, I have a pair of MK's I use all the time, with very good results. Getting a match for the AKG would be very logical.

Peace,
    duffy

5. brad347

brad347 Member

+ another 1 on the Oktavas. Very versatile mics. Do a google search about Scott Dorsey's mods... they really make a difference.

Versatile mics that you can get interchangeable capsules for to have cardioid, hyper, and omni patterns. Large diaphragm capsules for these are also available aftermarket from a couple of manufacturers and they sound great! I have three of these.

6. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

MXL 603's sound pretty good. Upgrading a few ceramic capacitors inside will make them sound even better.

7. Bassomatic

Bassomatic Silver Supporting Member

I've heard great results with the Marshalls (specifically the green body/gaudy gold models of several years ago).

Another *huge* surprise, here, was mixing some tracks a local drummer recorded with just two mics - the Nady ribbons. While i did eq them a bit, this wouldn't have been necessary in some other mixes (we were combining these drum tracks with some 5 mic drum takes done elsewhere). Please note that the Nady tracks were cut by a good engineer with great sounding drums in a proper drum room. YMMV.

8. BMonroney

BMonroney Member

Studio Projects C4 Pair - $315 at audiomidi.com. I've had good results with these for overheads. I prefer my Avenson Omnis, $500/pair. Amazing mics for the money.

9. jbird327

jbird327 Member

I ended up with a pair of Rode NT5's. A local store had the set for $300. Thanks for the responses.