Inexpensive Field Recorders For Gigs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by bilbal, Jul 8, 2008.

1. bilbal

bilbal Member

I'm sure this has been covered here but I have a question. With reference to all the new field recording devices, which are the best for live recording of gigs? A buddy of mine has the Zoom H4 and it seems to be pretty good for the price. He uses the included mics mounted on the recorder and sometimes goes directly into the board. I have heard a couple of his recording of my band and a friend's band and it really does a nice job.

What other recorders would you all recommend and should I be considering buying a set of mics to raise on booms with a similar setup or are the mics on these things good enough? I basically just want to have something to do work at home and to archive my bands shows? I'm not looking to drop a large amount of $$ if I can avoid it.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. buddaman71

buddaman71 Student of Life Silver Supporting Member

I have the Zoom H2 and love it. Smaller and $ 100 cheaper. I got mine brand new from an authorized ZOOM eBay store. Came with AKG phones, a 4GB card and a set of Sony rechargable batteries for $ 239 shipped.

Great little recorder.

3. desceneisvals

desceneisvals Supporting Member

+1. I have an H2 as well and I think it's great.

4. bilbal

bilbal Member

I just bought a Sony PCM-D50 with the optional tripod. It was a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay but I'm excited for it. I was going to do the Zoom one but considering my buddy has one I opted for something different. How do you guys feel about the built in mics? The rep told me the mics on the Sony PCM-D50 are extremely good. That said, I may upgrade to another set of condenser eventually, unless they are as good as he has said. This thing seems pretty wild. I'm excited for it. I basically just want it to archive rehearsals and gigs and whatever else I decide to record.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PCMD50/

bilbal

5. steven.rogers

steven.rogers Member

+2, very handy.

6. EVT

EVT Member

I have the Zoom H4. Has anyone compared the H2 to the H4?
    I'm wondering how they compare. The H4 is a handy and easy way to record rehearsals, gigs... etc...

:)

-ev

7. Sikor

Sikor Member

I have read in the forum dedicated to H2/H4, that H2 is quite the same as H4: the same mics, the same main-chip, the same recording quality, but it has better organized menu. H4 advantage is that it can be used with separate mic.
    I have H2 and couldn't be happier :)

8. uberschall

uberschall Supporting Member

I'm having a great time with my Tascam DR-1. I've recorded solo acoustic gigs, songwriting sessions, rehearsals and hardcore bands so far and everything sounds great. Very easy file management when connected via USB too. I also use it as my mp3 player- the only negative so far is that I haven't figured out how to dump songs from ITunes on it easily, because it doesn't support the mp4 format. I found mine online for $220 and got a great shockmount also- totally eliminates handling noise on important recordings.