Inexpensive foot controller for AmpliFire

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by BoB/335, Dec 8, 2016.

1. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

A while back I saw a controller similar to the midi mouse with a double display. (Second display shows a preset in standby that can be changed without effecting current loaded preset)

Or are there any other suggestions for changing presets on AA?

I am still not good with this stuff AT ALL so maybe someone could give a detailed (for DUMMIES) difference between a simple preset changer and something like the Morningstar MC6 and why I would need that.

2. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Trumpets and Tants Silver Supporting Member

You're still at it with the Atomic, Bob? Good to hear. What switching functionality do you need? Once I resigned myself to a/b switching on each button; I just stopping tweaking and just played. Probably the best thing about the Atomic, beyond the price to tone ratio.

3. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

Funny I just ran across a post of your and saw you using a Kemper. What happened? You were instramental in me getting an AA. Should I sell it and get a Kemper???

Still looking for a DUMMIES book for the AA. I found a preset that I like most times from a MBritt bundle and use the switches for Boost, Chorus, and Delay. Doesn't clean up as well as I would like at times and bend over to change the preset. Would also like better or more reverb and to mess with the delay settings but still find this whole thing intimidating. Get lots of compliments on my sound from soundmen and audience. I know this thing can do a LOT more than I am getting.

How did you setup your A/B switching on each button? Not "how" but what settings?

Any idea what that other 3 button pedal was I am looking for?

4. JiveTurkey

I'm just doing the round the world journey Bob. I love(d) the Atomic but I just got bored like we tend to do and moved on. The Kemper is awesome but I still need some outboard gear to use it to it's potential and the money pool is still a little dry for that! If you use MBritt's stuff; I found a lot of it sounds the same in the Kemper as he has a really consistent tone dialing style.

I had dirty clean/crunch on button 1, crunch/lead on button 2, and high gain rythym/lead on button 3. I don't use a lot of guitar sounds. My tonal variation mainly comes from my Boss synth. The Atomic was probably overkill let alone any of the other devices I have cycled through :eek: It's a fun ride though. If Boss ever gets their flagship act together; I will head towards that camp as long as they keep their newest synth tech in the game.

5. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

You didn't use any effects with the AmpliFire?

Can you get a little specific with amp models on each switch?

6. JiveTurkey

Well yeah. Every preset I used on the Atomic had some verb and a bit of delay to fatten it up. Chorus on the clean preset as well. I never use any other effects (flanger, phaser or whatever else) on my guitar tones. These effects would stay on all the time in each preset.

BoB/335 likes this.
  7. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I edited my post while you were typing. What amp models/settings for each switch? I'm still afraid to alter a MBritt preset.

8. JiveTurkey

Dirty clean was a fremen Plexi I believe that I tweaked, crunch was a tweaked Fremen HotBritt preset and lead was a variation on that preset as well. High gain rhythm was (I think) another take on the HotBritt. I pretty much found what I like and stuck with it. I bought the MBritt stuff but never liked his IRs. Once I swapped them out for different IRs; I was much happier. I used his 5153 preset with a different IR and got some killer results out of it. Copy one of the MBritt presets over to another preset and tweak on it. That's half the fun of modeling is doing the tweaking :)

BoB/335 likes this.
  9. Guitar1969

Guitar1969 Member

One Control MKII Gecko - Better than Midi Mouse because you can set favorites and control 2 Midi devices at the same time - About $100. I use it for all preset changes and then I have the AF set up where the 3 buttons on it turn effects on and off. Works good for my use.

BoB/335 likes this.
  10. leperclown

leperclown Member

I use an old Roland/Boss GFC/FC 50 Foot controller: super cheap used on Ebay (<$50); built like a tank; compact; five big program change switches; 2 expression pedal inputs; 2 cc Switch inputs; non-programmable (usually a big disadvantage, but Amplifire's cc selection approach nullifies this disadvantage); digital readout (no text, but can use the Amplifire display for patch names).

BoB/335 likes this.
  11. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

I hate tweeking!

12. BoB/335

BoB/335 Member

THAT is the one I couldn't remember. Thanks!!!

13. ratbastid

ratbastid Member

I'll do my best.

Your AmpliFire responds to a few different sorts of MIDI commands. One of them is a "Preset Change" or PC. Literally you say to it, over MIDI, "PC 115" and it changes to the preset in slot 115. Nothing more to it. Your Midi Mouse type thing, you teach it which PC's to send on which of its buttons, and you're jamming.

Then there are "Continuous Control" or "CC". These are fields that can accept numeric input between 0 and 127. An expression pedal is literally sending a number that corresponds to its position, in 128 steps between heel and toe. CC commands can also be used for binary "on and off" control by sending very low and very high numbers. The AmpliFire has several CC commands that trigger block on/off settings--you can see them in the MIDI tab of the editor app. So if you have the boost switch configured to CC #14, say, then an incoming command of "CC 14 0" turns off the boost, and one of "CC 14 127" turns it on.

There are a couple other MIDI command types, but these are the ones you use most of the time. And a Morningstar MC6 or other highly programmable MIDI pedal is basically a very flexible tool for configuring and firing these commands.

On my MC6, I've used its bank feature--basically the ability to switch between screenfulls of commands--to set up a main page that has a "PC UP" and "PC DOWN" button, a boost on/off, an echo on/off, a flat PEQ +5db boost (which I've labeled "To 11"), and a tap tempo. On a second bank I have modulation controls like chorus, flange, phase. So in this tiny metal dealy with six buttons, I have twelve stompboxes set up. And I can make them behave different--I have a big nasty flange on one button that turns on only when I hold it down, so I can use it for punch-in effects.

I basically never touch the switches on my AmpliFire. I drive the whole thing from my MC6. Currently the AF is my only MIDI-controlled device, but MIDI access is a core requirement on whatever I add to my board from now on.

BoB/335 likes this.