1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive gadget for guitar: Harmonic Capo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Brian Scherzer, May 22, 2011.

1. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I did a review of the Harmonic Capo on the TGP webzine and have been playing around with it since. Seriously cool idea and one of the least expensive items I have found that allows me to get something "different" out of my guitars. I think that the invention is sheer genius.....because it is so simple and cheap ($34.95). At least for me, the videos by the inventor gave me some ideas for different tunings where I don't have the capo pads on all of the strings, which gives me a fat bottom-end sound that contrasts really nicely with the harmonics I get on the upper strings. I have probably spent more than double my usual time on guitar since getting the capo and I think that I am now more open to looking at unusual concepts......which is a nice break from my usual blues stuff that, admittedly, gets boring after a while. I am including a couple of the YouTube videos that helped me get a better sense of what it can do. I wanted to give the inventor credit for a very simple idea that works!

Last edited: May 22, 2011
  2. waterboat

waterboat Member

Cool and you are very musical/ What make this capo different from the other capos that have parts of their pads cut away. Is it the fact that you can place it way up the neck?

3. Brian Scherzer

Brian Scherzer Staff Member

I'm trying to get the video that Bob Kilgore did into my post. It would explain things better than I can. It is simply easy to use and allows me to immediately change which strings I want harmonics on when hitting the open string.

Added: I finally got it to show in my OP.

4. bluesjuke

bluesjuke Disrespected Elder

Wow, I like that.
    Thanks for posting about it Brian.

I had seen it in VG magazine and have wondered about it.