1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Inexpensive Jazz Box?

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by delay_monster, May 16, 2006.

1. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Does anyone have a good suggestion for an inexpensive jazz box (full size hollowbody)? I'm returning to school in the fall, and I plan to study a good deal of jazz. Aside from jazz study, I love the warmth and openness of hollowbody guitars...

Anyone got a good recommendation?

2. parker

parker Member

imho, Ibanez makes some amazing instruments for amazing prices, I don't know how they do it...... a lot of these Jazz guitars range from 200-500$ take a look http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=artcore&l=e I feel like buying a few !

edit: I don't know if my reply belongs in the small co. luthiers though, sorry....

3. BBQLS1

BBQLS1 Member

You had better put a price range up. My inexpensive isn't the same as others.

4. MGT

MGT Member

Take a look at the Ibanez artcores...I saw one at a local music store over the weekend and it very nice (it was listed at about $600 Canadian). I used to own an Epiphone Joe Pass model that was a good guitar, too. I currently have a Yamaha semi-hollow and find it to be a very well-made guitar - they also have hollow bodies so they're worth checking out.

Good luck with school!

5. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

I had taken short looks at the Ibanez instruments as well as Yamaha and a few other mainstream makers. I came to the same conclusion as most of you (great bang for the buck).

I was curious about what else might be out there in the small company luthier world... I'm thinking under $750 as far as price range goes. From what I've seen in jazz boxes, you can pay what you want to pay. I also play cello, and considering the price of a decent cello (like $5k-$7k), guitar players get off easy!

I appreciate all of your comments so far! Keep them coming.

6. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

Thanks, MGT, for the good luck wish! I'll need all the luck I can get... or just a lot of practice time...

7. Paulpuck68

Paulpuck68 Member

Don't think you're going to find much from the small luthier world for under $750 for any guitar. Most Jazz boxes are in the $4000 and up range from smaller builders. I recommend the Artcore AF 105 model. I owned one until recently. I sold it to pay some bills since Jazz isn't really my thing but it sure was a great guitar. The AF 105 might just be the best guitar of any type in that price range. You can get a used one for closer to $500. Good luck and have fun.

8. journo

journo Member

Hi,

If you're lucky you can find a real gem for little money.
    Yamaha AES500 is good.
    Ibanez Artcore AK86 is even better but I prefer the neck on the Yamaha.
    These two are the same size as a Gibson ES-175. If you want a bigger size guitar I can recommend the Aria FA-71.

Happy hunting!

Cheers,

Mats N

9. delay_monster

delay_monster Member

That was my guess, paulpuck... certainly worth a shot, though... Thanks for the recommendation, too!

10. Bruce Bennett

Bruce Bennett Senior Member

a serious deal for a serious guitar is Eastman Strings...

otherwise look toward Korea for less money..

11. thesedaze

thesedaze Member

Second the Eastman setup.....great guitars.great service

12. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

I have and am happy with an Ibanez AF105. It's the highest end of their Artcore line (which is not a high end line have you, but great bang for the buck). But the AF105 has upgraded components than the others.

If you can afford more, then go for an Eastman or a Heritage. I'm looking at these myself to go along with my AF105.

13. AD

AD Supporting Member

3rd that

I just picked up an El Rey 2 for about $US1,300 - incredible axe.

14. Ogre

Ogre Member

Eastman, though it is more than your budget. I tried out the Yamaha and Ibanez Artcore series, and thought they were cheap-ass, sonicly speaking. You could upgrade all the electronics on the Ibanez and have a decent beater.

15. Fripperton

Fripperton Member

You have several good choices these days some of which have been mentioned already. In the under $500 category you can get a Michael Kelley Velvet.
    Here's a couple of shots.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In the $800 - $995 range you can get a DiPinto Philadelphian.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Contact me if you need more info.

16. randy morser

randy morser Member

Eek. I'd still save a little and get an Eastman. They are under 2000 new and you can find them used on occation for less. try ebay. Eastman guitars are good and getting better. they are hand made and crafted from great woods. there is a huge difference in quality between them and all other handmande archtops of the same price. Eastman all the way.

Randy Morser

17. 60HzShuffle

60HzShuffle Member

I have a Heritage Eagle Classic with HRW's that is really nice. If you check ebay you can find some really great deals on Heritage's. I am probably selling mine pretty soon as I custom ordered another Eagle Classic with the following:

• Finger tailpiece, side mounted output jack
    • 1 3/4" bone nut
    • Ebony fingerboard with split block inlays
    • single HRW pickup
    • X braced top in Old Style Sunburst (like Tobacco Burst)

18. sanhozay

sanhozay klon free since 2009

Inexpensive, toneful and decent is the Epiphone Joe Pass. I have a two serious jazzer mates get who along quite well with these guitars.

19. Srini

Srini Guest

I used to have a Heritage Sweet 16 that simply fabulous. The only reason I sold it was because the body was too big for comfort.

Srini

20. terrasbeest

terrasbeest Member

http://www.michaelkellyguitars.com/archtops/

I can recommend the Michael Kelly Velvet, and the Jumbo FT. I don't like the Bigsby on the Jumbo, but this is the first guitar with a Bigsby I've played so maybe it's just me...( and you don't need a Bigsby for Jazz)
    I bought the Jumbo about 2 months ago, and I might get me the Velvet when I have the cash. The Ibanez Artcores look nice too, but I havn't played them yet.