Inexpensive OM Cutaway - Alvarez?

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by seratone, Apr 25, 2015.

1. seratone

seratone Member

I've been wanting to get an OM cutaway, but actually want to stay well below $600. I know I'm limiting my prospects. I like the Martins but I can't stomach the HPL bodies and compressed paper necks. I was talking locally with a guy who has a Breedlove OM Herringbone Plus for $650 (however no cutaway). The problem here in Canada is a lot of guitars on Craigslist and Kijiji are listed for more than the MSRP prices in the states.

Blueridge has some great guitars in their Historic series - again - not available here. Same thing with Eastman's. I actually was entertaining getting an old Morris from the early 70's from some Ebay Pawn shop and adding my own electronics.

Has anyone tried Alvarez guitars? (AF60-70)- I know the history of Alvarez Yairi....I've gone through the Tonewood 'obsession' and have a couple of high end guitars, but I live in a retro fit loft and prefer smaller bodies for their volume. My current Fave is a Tak EAN40c I got on Ebay for $300.

2. jay42

jay42 Member

I have the Recording King ROM-06. $350 out the door, but it needed some work imo. (No case). I replaced the tuners and did some nut work. Sides and back are laminate. I'm happy enough with it.

3. Jim Moulton

Jim Moulton Member