Inexpensive PA System

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by jkendrick, Nov 4, 2017.

1. griggsterr

griggsterr Supporting Member

What in the world does the first part of your post have to do with this guys request for a $500 PA.
    Then you go on to say that a larger powered 2 way (which is what an EON is) will just beam away. ??
    There are some very very good 2 way PA cabs in the world. An EON isn't really near the top of that heap by any standard.
    And what do you mean saying it will sound more like itself and less like the room?
    A line source does have the potential to have a more diffuse even wavefront But this guy is looking for a $500 PA.
    Where you coming from brother?

2. sir riff a lot

sir riff a lot Member

Yamaha stagepas 400i

I gig solo / duo acoustic with this every weekend
    and also use it as foldback for my coverband.

killer system with lots of inputs , sounds great , and is LOUD

3. mikebat

mikebat Member

I know I would go with a Behringer X-Air series, like the XR-12 and a powered speaker(s).

4. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

This looks like what I'm looking for but it's a bit out of my price range new. I'll shop around for a used system.

5. kwicked

kwicked Supporting Member

Definitely look used. You will get twice the system.
    If you are looking at adding in the future, a very good powered 12 with a cheap passive mixer would be how i would start if one speaker will work. Maybe a used Yamaha DXR12 or even a DXR10. You will always be able to use that speaker as you move up.
    If you just want a good PA to use forever that can play some bigger spots, i would look for a powered Mackie 808 mixer and 2 club yamaha 12s. Incredible deals on passive stuff used these days, and you should be able to stay under 500. Can use both 12s as mains, one main one monitor, or add monitors if needed. Lots of great gigs have been played on this combo. The Mackie sucks for sub use, but there are other similar quality yamaha and peavey used powered mixers in that power and price range. Good luck!

Last edited: Nov 13, 2017
  6. mattball826

mattball826 Member

Go the Turbosound Ip500. Super small footprint and plenty loud enough for any coffee house show or small club corner. I see Karaoke guys using these often enough, and acoustic solo duos.

7. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Looking for thoughts on this.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

$350 for a 15" Yamaha Club? Way too much. Decent speaker but no way I would pay that for it.

I think you can find a 512SC for about the same money. About 10 years ago I bought a Yamaha 512SC, 2 no name 12" floor monitors and a pair of Yamaha Club 12s, with 2 mics and all the cabling for $600.

jkendrick likes this.
  9. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

I was more looking at the $526 (what an odd price point) for both, which is right at my budget.

10. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Member

As I said, they are both decent. I think they are overpriced and I think the 312 may lack power. The 512 is far too small for me output wise. YMMV.

jkendrick likes this.
  11. kwicked

You should be able to get a pair of the 12 or 15 clubs for 350. Thats not TGP unicorn, i see it fairly consistently. Of course when you are actively looking, they won't be there, lol.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/msg/d/carvin-832-passive-pa/6362264626.html

A bit of a road trip from portland, but you could do worse than this setup if they will take 500, especially if you don't already have the mics and cables, that stuff adds up quick. I would favor 12s over 15s for what you have described, but if you are going passive, this would sound good assuming it works well. Pretty heavy if that is a consideration.

jkendrick likes this.
  12. tribedescribe

tribedescribe Member

For 10 years I owned and used a yamaha emx512sc mixer and 4 yamaha club series speaker. While they served me well I sold the system few years ago and now run a powered speaker rig with 2 Yamaha dxr's for mains and 2 alto ts110's for monitors. The powered speaker system sounds so much better, weigh less, and are scaleable to use 1 speaker for rehearsals or tight space gigs. Plus its so much easier to add subs to a powered system. To me its a no brainer unless your getting really good deal on a passive system.

Just a fyi that yamaha sm15v club speaker is worth $100-$150 on the used market. The emx312sc power mixer is worth about $200-$250 used.

About 99% of solo artist I see playing live in my area own powered speakers or use an all in one system(stagepas or passport) House systems are another story.....

Floyd Eye likes this.
  13. rockguitar2000

rockguitar2000 Member

For my solo acoustic show, I use a pair of Alto Troupers ($199 new each) and an A&H Zed10fx. I’ve played shows using only one of the Troupers successfully.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  14. kwicked

All true, but for sub $500, passive is the way to go for something that will be usable at different venues and for a practice rig. I LOVE the Dxr's but one of them is over 500.

15. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

This might help you. Of the options posted thus far, the best (IMHO) are the one's that optimize "modularity" and "simplicity".

Modularity means you can swap out components as they (inevitably) break down or (hopefully) you have more money to play with. And, believe me, it will all break down. Until that day, get stuff that will serve well as back up or within an expanding rig. For instance, smaller, cheaper, or passive mains can become good stage monitors in the future.

Simplicity means that there are fewer and smaller components to lug around and rig. It's really hard to get much "simpler" than a mixer and two powered speakers on sticks. IMO, "integrated" systems (including powered mixers), though somewhat simpler, fail on grounds of modularity. An amp with passive speakers is definitely more modular, but isn't quite as simple and can be more expensive, depending on the amp/speaker combination.

Regarding Behringer, et al, it seems that even more expensive gear these days has cheap components. Will you get a longer service life out of JBL or Yamaha? Yeah, maybe, but I wouldn't count on it either. I've an old "B" back-up mixer that just won't die, and newer Mackie or Presonus mixers that have bad channels.

Finally - Size: For your needs, 10" speakers are all you really need and 200 watts should also be fine, though more is always better. For mixers, a 10-12 channel should be more than sufficient. Mixers with built-in FX could be useful, but not necessary, in your situation. FX quality on many is questionable. If you've got outboard reverb for you guitar, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

16. 335guy

335guy Member

At this point, I think it's important to review what the OP's question was.

Requirements are:

* Inexpensive/$500 or less
    * Small rehearsal space/solo acoustic gigs in small venues

Now, many bring up some valid points, but are kinda irrelevant to the OP. This PA isn't for a band. It's for a solo, maybe duo performance. IMO, portability, ease of use, good sound at moderate volumes and affordability are the prime requirements. While many have suggested a powered mixer with a couple of passive mains ( Yamaha ), or, small analog mixer with active mains, neither of those suggestions hit all the buttons for the OP's usage. For one, those setups are bulkier/heavier, more expensive ( if new ), and a bit more effort in setup because they require speaker stands and speaker cabling. If we keep in mind the OP's question and requirements, it seems to me ( while not being perfect ) the Turbosound iNSPIRE iP500 would be the most appropriate NEW system he should consider being available today. Here are a few videos showing it's capabilities:

Floyd Eye and rsm like this.
  17. rsm

rsm Member

The IP500 is a good option, if you don't want/need stereo separation. I have a full Bose L1 Model II which works great IME, I've owned it for many years, but I miss the stereo separation and deep bass of a real subwoofer so I have an Alto system...

Another option to consider is a Roland CUBE Street EX - I've had mine for years, and use it for my guitar digital modelers. Sounds great, but the low end (bass, synths, drums) is weak. Roland has a package with 2 units. Worth a look, but may be under powered.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  18. Papanate

Papanate Gold Supporting Member

That will be find. You'll need two more microphones and stands.
    Given your budget - there are only slim pickens. The Pros of
    systems like the on in the advert? You'll be forced to learn
    about audio and how it reacts in a room. You'll become
    (if you work at it) a master of gain structure. And you'll
    understand to mix with your ears instead of what the EQ
    Looks like.

Floyd Eye likes this.
  19. jkendrick

jkendrick Member

Thanks to all for the continued input. It seems my wife, knowing I was looking for a PA (but knowing less than me about it), bought a Peavey PR15 for me as a late birthday present. She wouldn't be offended if I return it, but I thought I should ask here. Obviously it's not much good to me without some additional gear.

20. 3dognate

3dognate Supporting Member

I have a buddy that does a Duo act with the Eon One with a separate mixer... it does a respectable job in use. Not what I'd use for a full band, but for what it's doing... I approve.

Floyd Eye likes this.