Inexpensive recording setup for a guitarist

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by trumpus, Jan 8, 2006.

1. trumpus

trumpus Supporting Member

Hey all,

I am strictly a guitarist, without a band right now, and looking for an inexpensive recording setup that i can use to capture jams/groove an occasionally to record a tune with vocals.

In the (way) past, i used an old Tascam analog 4 track from the out on my amp to record grooves, but obviously the quality left something to be desired.

I'm basically looking for a way to record a few short clips, that i can then transfer to the computer and burn to CD or upload. I have little to no recording know-how, and even less know-how with regards to recording on the computer (ie. software, conversions...i have no recording software right now).

Additionally, i'd like to be able to occasionally record an acoustic song with vocals (perhaps one or 2 vocal tracks). Again, i used to do this with my tascam, but i'd prefer to enter the digital age!

I sold off most of the budget recording equipment i had, so right now all i have is my guitar setup and 1 SM58. I'd be willing to purchase a condenser mic if necessary, but ay suggestions for the newbie would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Brian

2. straticus

straticus Member

What's your budget?

The PreSonus FirePod is a great unit for $600.00. It has 8 XLR mic pre amps. No mixer needed. Even if you think you don't need 8 inputs, trust me, you will. The FirePod comes with Cubase LE recording software. So you get everything you need to get started.

BC :)

3. onemind

onemind Member

I'd be very interested in trying the Line6 recording equipment I've only heard positive things.

4. enharmonic

enharmonic Old Growth Gold Supporting Member

Dude...Line 6 Guitar Port and ProTools LE or Cubase SE...200 bucks tops!

5. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

I recommend this site for anyone looking to get into recording (or just get better). If, after reading this guide and looking around the site and its forums, you still have questions, I'm sure we can steer you in the right direction. There is more info here than you'll be able to ingest and it's delivered in a very easy to read, organized manner.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Rick

6. Mayor McCheese

Mayor McCheese Member

The Line 6 Tone Port UX1 will do all this and includes a (admittedly pretty stripped) version of Ableton Live that you can record into for $139.

Tone Port will work with any of the popular multitrack programs.

7. syxxstring

syxxstring Member

+1 for the Firepod. Its easy to set up and is starting well above your needs. Which will grow once your hooked.

8. Orren

Orren Member

You can only use Pro Tools LE with Digidesign hardware--the cheapest of which is $449 (M-Box).

You can use Pro Tools M-Powered, which is the same as PTLE, if you have an M-Audio interface, but that runs $299.

Orren