1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

inexpensive yet good quality pedals for a "creative" pedalboard?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spookyelectric, May 20, 2011.

1. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I'm looking to recharge my creative batteries, as it were, and I want to put together a pedalboard with some inexpensive, yet decent quality effects that I can use that will be inspiring and let me create some different sounds. Probably more time based or modulation based effects, but a cool different rock distortion to get me away from my beloved DS-1 Distortion would be nice too.

I noodle around playing alot of classic rock songs (Kiss, Cooper, Priest, etc.), but don't play in a band or anything. I've played casually for 15-20 years, and over the past few years I've gotten more into assembling guitars, setting them up, finishing them, etc. than playing. Most of my guitars have weird homemade finishes on them and are very broken in and junkyard looking. Joe Strummer meets Sonic Youth looking finishes :)

Anyway, what are some good quality effects to pick up used that might be interesting for creating new sounds? I admire Tom Morello for being able to get a variety of atypical guitar sounds out of a simple rig.

Here's what I have for my limited setup:

guitars:
    4 teles, 3 with humbuckers at the bridge, only 1 "regular" tele

amp:
    tweed '59 Bassman reissue

effects:
    Boss DS-1 Distortion (my #1 "go to" pedal)
    Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive (never use it at lower volumes)
    MXR 6-Band EQ
    DOD YJM308 overdrive

I'm thinking stuff like a DD-3 digital delay, maybe some sort of flanger or phaser (Phase 90 or Phase 45?), maybe a simple chorus like an MXR Micro Chorus. For new dirt, maybe something from Catalinbread or Menatone, or possibly Basic Audio.

What other stuff should I be looking at for a "re-inspiration" pedalboard? My total budget is about $375.

2. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

MXR Classic Distortion
    MXR Classic Overdrive
    MXR Carbon Copy
    Cool Cat Vibe
    Cool Cat tremolo

3. Championguitar

Championguitar Member

for overdrive it depends what sound you are going for as there are many different flavors. i'd say that depending on how much of your budget you want to devote to dirt either go for a catalinbread dirty little secret or a rat. for delay either a carbon copy or dd-3would be good, buy used if you can you can get stuff cheaper that way

4. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

For creativity I often turn to either delay or fuzz. I had a carbon copy that I loved for many years, a solid choice on a budget. Sounds like you're pretty handy, so I'd recommend general guitar gadgets fuzz face kit.

5. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

look around for the danelectro mini pedals... most go for under 10 bucks used...

then, once you find what you like...

ibanez soundtanks are good step-ups from those... and you can find these effects either by searching used gear through guitar center or ebay...

and most of those are so inexpensive, if by some chance you don't like it... no big dent in your wallet

and, there are tons of demos through youtube too

i also recommend any of the tone-lok series from ibanez, and since most have been discontinued, you can find them dirt cheap most anywhere (i saw a few at my local guitar center the other day)

6. turtleheadblues

turtleheadblues Senior Member

Honestly pick up a used Line6 M13 and have money left for a Timmy OD to put in the loop. If I had a couple thousand to spend it would be all high end pedals but at 3-4 you are limited. The M13 gives you a world of effects and switching options.

7. Theroyalconsort

Theroyalconsort Member

one obvious gap in your board has Wah written all over. especially if you go for rock.
    As your not afraid of tools I'd recomend getting the basic Crybaby and doing the mods youself, which you'll probably enjoy.

If you want modulation I'd probably go for phase (MXR 90/100 rather than 45 or BIG BOX small stone and do volume fix mod) as its fun with distortion.

Delays are always good and a DD3 will do you nicely for classic rock but the dd7 or hardwire is better (analogue mode + modulated delays) and isn't THAT much more.

the Morello styleis of course largely a Digitech Whammy thing. But they ain't cheap

If you want my advice on distortion the ProCo Rat goes well with fenders but would replace the DS. For a different tone try looking at a Fuzz.

Big muff is great for home usage and wont break the bank.

8. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

I think the Expandora can be quite the creative pedal...

9. GGBB

GGBB Member

Morley Bad Horsey Wah (or any decent wah really)

ProCo You Dirty RAT (the fuzz-ier/tube-ier rat) - or get a Turbo RAT and do the 3-way mod (RAT 2/Turbo RAT/You Dirty RAT)

Cool Cat Vibe (can be chorus-ey, tremolo-ey, vibrato-ey, and phase-y as well as vibe-y)

EHX Nano Memory Toy (Carbon Copy beater)

10. amdowell

amdowell Supporting Member

You can definitely get some great used stuff in that budget.
    -Boss DD-3
    -MXR Phase 90 or Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter
    -Line 6 Verbzilla (try the Octo setting)
    -Maybe splurge on a fuzz pedal like a Big Muff or something and/or a loop station type pedal like the Boss RC-2.

The cool thing about all those pedals is that they're relevant to any board. Just my $0.02! Good luck and, mostly, have fun!

11. Lucidology

Lucidology Member

DeltaLab Series ... all true bypass ... quality sounds & nicely painted solid colors ...

12. TheReverendCommon

TheReverendCommon Member

THIS.

13. spookyelectric

spookyelectric Supporting Member

I don't have a wah in the list because I'm terrible with them... trust me, it ain't pretty ;). I've seen the EHX Double Muff that looks and sounds interesting-- more like distortion than fuzzy. Would be good for a more broken sound.

I like the idea of the Phase 45 or the Micro Chorus (or the MXR Micro Flanger) because of the whole minimal knobs thing-- you've still got the effect, but less time is spent fiddling with knobs and more is spend on just playing and using that effect w/ your sound. The PGS demo of the Micro Chorus is great-- been sorta jonesin' for one since I heard it.

14. justnick

justnick Gold Supporting Member

Imma say, a Catalinbread Manx fuzz and a Catalinbread Montavillian Echo.

Imma say that, because both have tremendous character, but are also tremendously versatile. The Manx is the only fuzz I know of that can do extreme fuzz tones but is also capable of highly usable lighter textures that can work in many contexts.

The Montavillian is similarly flexible but not at the expense of character.

That sort of balance is really hard to find in many pedals. I could easily cover all my ground (from neo-soul to noise rock, with those two pedals).

15. monty

monty Member

MXR Blue Box.