Infamous or Famous for its Low Noise/Volume Ratio

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by judsonabts, Sep 18, 2008.

1. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

i'm so tired of the hiss.. I know some of it is my AC outlets etc.. some of it is using such overpowered amps in small spaces at practice volumes..

i'm looking for a fendery boutique amp with the lowest noise versus sweet singing sound possible..

any ideas? or are they all the same?

2. The Captain

The Captain Supporting Member

Repeat after me..................

E

M

G

3. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

what does that mean?

is that ref to pickups? the amps are making this noise with volume all the way down on everything.. they are just loud annoying amps! haha i want something that sounds like there is a built in noise gate because whoever engineered it was OCD about noise like me :)

4. GasMask

GasMask Member

Well... they are not all the same! I've experienced a wide range of hiss/noise in amps, and the "boutique" amps have not always been the quietest. For example, I have owned and used a number of Mesa amps, and with one exception, they have all been extremely quiet. My Mesa TriAxis/50-50 rack system is so quiet, you would think it's on standby- this at a volume level that will peel the paint off the walls. The Mesa "exception" was a MK III head, which was very quiet until you added reverb- then it was noisy as hell. (the reverb tank being close to the chassis caused this, the combo version did not have this issue) The Fenders I have owned have been generally pretty quiet/noise free. The D/13 I used to own was very noisy. I believe this is due to the 5879 tube it employed. You will find some very well built amps with high quality components to be more noisy than some cheaper PCB amps, so you just never know. Some players are not bothered by high noise levels, but it bugs me.

5. Brien

Brien Member

My Vic Bassman is ridiculously quiet for it's size/power output.

6. JimH

JimH Member

My matamp was pretty damn loud in the Hiss department.

7. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

The quietest idling amp I've played is the Clark Tyger. The Fender RI '57 low power twin is not far behind.

8. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Carr Rambler and Gries 35. Ultra quiet.

9. judsonabts

judsonabts Member

quieter than the tone king?