Info about James Jamerson's 62 P-Bass needed

Discussion in 'Bass Area; The Bottom Line' started by Chicago Guitars, Jun 15, 2008.

1. Chicago Guitars

Chicago Guitars Member

Hello.
    I believe I just bought James Jamerson's second 1962 P-Bass. I bought it from a private party in Detroit who told me he bought it in 1983 from James' son after he died. He told me James Jr. personally hand delivered it to him. There are some markings on the back that are almost unreadable. I was wondering if anyone out there might have authentic pictures showing the markings on James Jamerson's P-Bass, could tell me what the markings actually say or know the serial number it's supposed to have.
    ANY information would be greatly appreciated. If you have any info or pictures, please post them to this thread or e-mail them directly to me.
    MANY thanks in advance.
    Phil

2. DaveinLondon

DaveinLondon Member

3. daddyo

daddyo Guest

4. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

You might consider contacting Fender about this.
    I'd do some more web-based research first to rule out if there are any inconsistencies with the bass / story

5. Bo Faulkner

Bo Faulkner Member

6. Chicago Guitars

Chicago Guitars Member

Hello.
    Thanks for the quick and helpful reply, Dave.
    No "Funk" anywhere. Bummer. However, there IS some other hard to read "scratchings" on the middle of the back of the body that appear to have been done with a razor blade that read:
    C
    S
    J
    with the bass standing upright. It's very hard to read, there's other beltbuckling/other light scratches near it. It could also be GSJ.
    The "second owner" now tells me it was another Motown house bassist and rattled off several songs it was purportedly recorded on. Anybody have any clues?
    Pictures are posted on:
    http://good-times.webshots.com/album/563796262yXLTbt
    but, I'll add a couple to this post for convenience sake.
    Again, MANY thanks Dave. It was most helpful.
    All the best.
    Phil

[​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  7. Chicago Guitars

Chicago Guitars Member

8. Chicago Guitars

Chicago Guitars Member

Ah HA..........................

C
    S
    I

CLARENCE ISABELL?
    Startin' to make a little sense (maybe I can understand the seller's confusion now).
    ANY thoughts?

9. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

From what I recall, James had 2 P basses.

One was stolen in the early 60s, the other is the legendary "Funk Machine" that was stolen a few weeks before he died in LA.

Admittedly, I'm no expert- but...

10. JoeYello

JoeYello Member

Maybe you could contact James Jr. (assuming he is living) as to the authenticity of the guys story. I hope you didn't pay a premium on the bass as a celebrity owned instrument without some sort of authenticity.

In any event it is a very cool instrument that I would love to have!

11. Glenn Brown

Glenn Brown Member

Contact Allen Slutsky, aka Dr. Licks, author of the outstanding Jamerson biography Standing In The Shadows Of Motown. If anyone can begin to point you in the right direction re authenticating the bass my money would be on him.

12. Jack

Jack Member

+1 on Dr. Licks. It may not be THE Funk Machine, but it could be some other bass that was owned by Jamerson.

13. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Jamerson, despite his importance to Motown was not rolling in money. As I recall, despite coming up with the arrangements for all those hit songs, all those cool riffs, all those great hooks... he made under $50 a session. He got no credits, got no points, got no royalties, and got no recognition. It's a pretty clear line that Jamerson didn't have a lot of gear. His P, his upright, his 5 string and his 8 string- and his 2 amps.

14. d l x r e v e r b

d l x r e v e r b Member

Does anyone have any contact information (email, telephone, etc ) for Alan "Dr. Licks" Slutsky ?

I have been wanting to send him a question for a long time but have not been able to find a way to contact him.

15. rhp52

rhp52 Supporting Member

I'm sure if you searched the internet you would find something

16. JMI USA

JMI USA Member

Hi.
    Sorry for the dealy in updating this thread.
    This bass was *long RUMOURED in Detroit musician's circles to be one of James Jamerson's two basses. Initials carved into it, CSI, and some other research have shown this bass to have been actually owned by Clarence Isabell........................ANOTHER Motown studio bassist from the same period.
    The search continues.
    Thanks to everyone that has lent a hand or given advise in finding the truth in this matter.
    Phil

17. HeyMrTeleMan

HeyMrTeleMan Colonel of Truth Gold Supporting Member

Please let us know the final resolution on this Bass. It's a cool story, and probably most definitely a VERY cool axe.;) I still haven't been able to see the pix. Do you still have it? Is it for sale?

Enquiring minds need to know...

HMTM

18. JJ1794

JJ1794 Member

I was googling pictures of my grandfather and came across this blog post about this old bass. My grandpa is Clarence Isabell. He did play with motown and by now I'm sure you know more details behind that. If you had a picture of it I could try and answer some questions for you if you still had any. In all honesty I'm writing to see if you did still have it, and if you would be willing to sell it? I would love to have it in the family, more than anything. ~Praying you get this, J.J.

19. JJ1794

JJ1794 Member

Again, as I read this post I realized you may actually have my grandfathers bass. My grandpa is Clarence Isabell. I may be able to answer some questions for you, do you have a pic? My biggest question is, would you be willing to sell it to me? I would love to be able to give it back to him before its too late. It would be the most amazing thing in the world to have this piece of him back in the family, and maybe even back at hitsville one day. Anyway, praying you get this ~J.J.