Info needed- Vintage Premier Twin-8

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Guitarmaniac01, Feb 22, 2009.

1. Guitarmaniac01

Guitarmaniac01 Member

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a vintage Premier Twin 8, I was seeking any thoughts or opinions on this amp. I will be playing it through an Ibanez sz with humbuckers. I was also wondering if it's easy to find replacement tubes for it?
    thanks

2. soldano16

soldano16 Member

A buddy of mine had one but his was changed over to more conventional tubes by a local tech.

That being said, that was the best sounding cranked small amp I ever heard. But the guy who did the conversion was Frank Marino's former tech.

3. Guitarmaniac01

Guitarmaniac01 Member

Thanks, I'm going to seek more info about it and maybe pick it up

4. Guitarmaniac01

Guitarmaniac01 Member

5. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Member

What's in it? - tubes that are unusual by "not a 12A*7/today's standards" aren't that hard to find with the intraweb etc.

6. Guitarmaniac01

Guitarmaniac01 Member

Ok, thanks for clearing that up. Did some research and it seems to be more of a harp amp? Has anyone else heard it?

7. TheWayfarer84

TheWayfarer84 Silver Supporting Member

bumping old thread here...I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this amp? I too see it come up mostly with harp players - any good for guitar?

8. nmiller

nmiller Drowning in lap steels Gold Supporting Member

Premier amps had a very distinct tone; they built a wide range of amps, but they all have a very warm tone (some would say dark) without much treble on the clean sounds, a somewhat boxy mid-range and very full bass. It's an unusual sound, very far removed from the usual Fender/Marshall/Vox range of many '60s amps. The Twin 8 has a great tremolo, and the 8R has superb reverb as well. They're not for everybody - definitely not what I'd recommend for power pop - but they're pretty affordable and are worth checking out.