Info needed- Vintage Premier Twin-8

Hi, I have the opportunity to buy a vintage Premier Twin 8, I was seeking any thoughts or opinions on this amp. I will be playing it through an Ibanez sz with humbuckers. I was also wondering if it's easy to find replacement tubes for it?
thanks

soldano16

A buddy of mine had one but his was changed over to more conventional tubes by a local tech.

That being said, that was the best sounding cranked small amp I ever heard. But the guy who did the conversion was Frank Marino's former tech.

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
What's in it? - tubes that are unusual by "not a 12A*7/today's standards" aren't that hard to find with the intraweb etc.

TheWayfarer84

Gold Supporting Member
bumping old thread here...I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this amp? I too see it come up mostly with harp players - any good for guitar?

nmiller

Drowning in lap steels
bumping old thread here...I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on this amp? I too see it come up mostly with harp players - any good for guitar?

Premier amps had a very distinct tone; they built a wide range of amps, but they all have a very warm tone (some would say dark) without much treble on the clean sounds, a somewhat boxy mid-range and very full bass. It's an unusual sound, very far removed from the usual Fender/Marshall/Vox range of many '60s amps. The Twin 8 has a great tremolo, and the 8R has superb reverb as well. They're not for everybody - definitely not what I'd recommend for power pop - but they're pretty affordable and are worth checking out.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom