Info on Quiet but great sounding strat pickups

Jack Walker

Waka52
Silver Supporting Member
I've started picking up a few more studio dates and my fralins as much as I love them are a little noisey. I'm looking for some quieter pickups for recording. I've tried Dimarzio virtual vintage but they not working as well as I would like. I'm looking to preserve the classic strat tone as much as possible. Can you guys give me some help?

Thanks!

rwe333

Silver Supporting Member
There are a lot of options in the VV DiMarzio line - perhaps chat w/ them.

cvansickle

Gold Supporting Member
WCR SRs are great, but they are currently not in production. :mad:

I just got a set, right before Jim took them off his site. Oh yeah, they are quiet! :)

alderbody

WCR SRs. (when available...)

Combine them with proper body cavity shielding and star grounding and you'll have an almost noiseless Strat, with all of the pure single coil tone.

Otherwise, look for noiseless designs, but be prepared to lose some of the single coil tone.

FUSER

I got a set of Virtual Vintage 54s recently.
On the bright side for sure (I had a rio g vintage tallboy / + 2 stock strat pups before). But smooth. Less bass than Rios. But it seems thats how they are supposed to be. Sweet in between sounds.

Dead Quiet!

Chiba

Platinum Supporting Member
Kinmans are the best noiseless Strat pickups I've ever used. Dead silent and they sound just like a Strat is supposed to!

--chiba

Eric Pykala

Get on Jim Wagner's waiting list for a set of SRs. These are the only pickups I've ever heard (and I think I've heard them all now) that unseated my old '62 as the benchmark for Strat Tone. Words cannot express how fine these sound, and really quiet while maintaining the classic tonality. Wait if you have to, pay the money, and smile from now to eternity.-Eric

jesper

I have had different Kinmanns and they are really different sounding. but they are all excelent sounding and deadquiet. never heard anything as good. i used to have a 62 strat but its been a long time. i also heard some dimarzio vv's. in comparison they seem to sound "dull" in the high end
registrer. they dont sparkle. John Suhr has a new thing coming out. seems interesting but i dont know of anybody who has a/b'ed them to kinmanns yet.

Robboman

Kinmans IMO are the best noiseless SC, but I'd have to ask first - are you using a noise gate in your signal path? Sometimes a good (and well adjusted) gate is all you need. Oh, and back away from the CRT when you hit 'record' :p

Tomo

How about Suhr the SSC system?

Suhr V60 has warm authentic pure single coil
no sacrifice anything (tone).

great for recording and live(any noisy places)

Tomo

Rory_Rules

Silver Supporting Member
I recommend a set of Bare Knuckles - http://www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk/

Tim custom wound me a set of Irish Tours that are fantastic! Made my Joe Bardens Strat Deluxe sound dead & killed my Fender Custom Shop pups. Balanced, powerful & dripping with tone. If you call/email Tim & let him know what you're after he'll wind them specifically for you. If you're not happy with them he'll wind them until you are.

jlagrassa

Silver Supporting Member
Garrett Bagby said:
Bill Lawrence - DEAD quiet, great single coil tone, great price.

www.billlawrence.com
:AOK
I just Installed a pair of L280S in the neck & Middle and a L298SL in the Bridge, very quiet pickups and still sounds like a Strat with some balls to me!

michael.e

Silver Supporting Member
It was suggested to me that I try Dimarzio Virtual 2 pickups. Further, I should try using a Neck pickup in the bridge postion.

I have done just that and I will report my findings. I have a Kotzen Strat and I really like the pickups that are in the neck and mid positions. Whatever they are, they are dead quiet as well. I put a Fralin in the Bridge position and while I like it for clean work, it howls and feeds back like a mofo so it is outta there. M.E.

JDouglee

Tomo said:
How about Suhr the SSC system?

Suhr V60 has warm authentic pure single coil
no sacrifice anything (tone).

great for recording and live(any noisy places)

Tomo
+1

It's great! I love mine.

Trending Topics