Info wanted on 97 LP DC

Gandalf5150

I've just acquired a 97 LP DC
It has 2xvolume and 1xtone control.
I'm trying to find out more about it. It looks like a Studio, but the only Studios I've found have only 1xvolume and 1xtone controls.
Can anyone help me out with more info?
PIC_1030.jpg
PIC_1030.jpg

RedTiger

BUMP.

I've got the Studio DC. You're right, looks quite a lot like the Studio, but the control layout is totally different.

diagrammatiks

It is a dc. Looks like a 24 fret?
I know they made some guitarcenter exclusives that were 3 knob, plain top, 3 knobs.

As far as I know, the studio dc is 2 knob 24fret, the pro is flamed 2 knob 22fret, there was a standard plus flamed with 24frets, and a faded doublecut.

the studios were made earlier then the main doublecut rollout.

yours looks to be a AA gc exclusive

gibsondoublecutawayAAtop.jpg

but I haven't seen a plaintop one since yours.

Gandalf5150

It is a dc. Looks like a 24 fret?
I know they made some guitarcenter exclusives that were 3 knob, plain top, 3 knobs.

As far as I know, the studio dc is 2 knob 24fret, the pro is flamed 2 knob 22fret, there was a standard plus flamed with 24frets, and a faded doublecut.

the studios were made earlier then the main doublecut rollout.

yours looks to be a AA gc exclusive

but I haven't seen a plaintop one since yours.

Yes it is 24 frets. Dot markers though and no bindings.
It has the chambered mahogany body, not a solid slab like the Jnrs.
It also appears to have maple top? It certainly has a 6mm top of some sort. Perhaps someone could clarify from the close up below?
Headstock just says Les Paul model.
I'd really like to know for certain which model it is, but It's got me stumped:bonk
PIC_1031.jpg

PIC_1032.jpg

torquil

If you look inside the control cavity, perhaps you will see if the added pot was original or a later mod?

Gandalf5150

Is the top carved or flat? The bridge has me thinking it is a special.
The top is carved.

If you look inside the control cavity, perhaps you will see if the added pot was original or a later mod?

Hadn't thought of that:idea
Actually..it's 1xV and 2xTone. I'm no expert, but it looks like the top tone pot could possibly be a later mod? I'm really not sure. Perhaps someone more experienced could clarify?
PIC_1035.jpg

torquil

Perhaps compare with this:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/custom-shop/84018-gingers-mods.html

It even has a control cavity picture, so you can check if the extra pot is the only difference. Looks like the wire going to the output jack also exists the cavity in a different position? Close to the switch on the one in the linked page, as opposed to close to the bottom pot in yours?

The position of the extra pot looks a little too close to the switch for a factory job (IMHO, and I know almost nothing about Gibsons), although playing-wise it would be no problem once you get used to it. And inside the control cavity it is sort of "inconveniently" located under the bump on the side wall.

That said, tone-wise it is probably really cool, and you can decide if you want two vols + tone or one vol + two tones :D

EDIT: Oh and the wiring/soldering is obviously not factory.

Gandalf5150

Well between you I figure you've nailed it;)
97 LP Studio DC with an extra tone pot. Thanks very much guys:bow

I've got to say, it plays, feels and sounds fantastic.
I'm very, very happy with it.:JAM:love:

I have an 09 single cut Studio which I like a lot, but I must say the build quality on the older model seems far superior to me.

Gandalf5150

Great looking guitar, btw.

Now you need to play this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGdC4GBkcbM

Thanks you. Nice ain't she:love:
As for Mr Moore, If I put any more Moore in our sets I'll get bloody lynched:Spank
I already do Still got the blues, Parisienne, Walkin by myself & Don't believe a word (full slow-full fast)

Thanks for the clip though. I think he has great feel.
Never heard him use a circle of fifths before.:bonk

Trending Topics

Top Bottom