Info wanted on Hiwatt/Matamp prototype combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by El Jefe, Jan 26, 2008.

1. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

I just bought this amp on ebay, and the buyer says it's a mid-90's prototype that was built by Matamp for Hiwatt. Guy says they made 15 prototypes but the amp never went into production. It's 4xEL84 in a 1x12 combo. Does anybody have any info on this thing? I emailed matamp, hopefully they'll get back to me but I thought I'd ask here on the off chance that somebody out there has heard of this amp.

What I'm curious about it most is how it came about, why Matamp was involved, wattage, why it never made it to production, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=290201031977&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=019

[​IMG]

2. mockoman

mockoman Member

Man,that is cool.You got it for a great price. And,a Fane speaker,too.

[​IMG]

3. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Yeah I was really impressd by the build quality in that photo, looks like a Reeves built Hiwatt! I'm thining I might sell that Fane and put one of the alnico AXA12's in it. The aggressive sound of the fane alnico plus the high efficiency would probably be perfect for this thing, although if the ceramic ax12 sounds good I'll just leave well enough alone.

I emailed the guys at Electric Amp Innovations and got the scoop on the amp:

"I know exactly what amp you are in reference to. I saw it on eBay too, and was there when the unit was first about in the universe.

The story behind it is this:

Matamp UK had some spare parts left over from a small run of combo made for THE MUSIC GROUND / HIWATT in the UK.

When the terms were up, Jeff Lewis in the Matamp UK shop kept the spare parts and had Dave Green and John Tilley at MATAMP UK make the combo amps from all of the spares. No 2 where alike. Some were 20watt, most were 15 watt, and they varied with OUTPUT Tranny's as some were 8 ohm and some were 16ohm units.

ALL of the black ones, [7] where purchased by MATAMP USA as MATAMP combos to be sold around the holiday that year which was 2002. The amps showed up with no badges on the front of the grill cloth and a generic SPECS badge on 4 of them. To further the mishap, 2 of the 7 were in brown vinyde. [This was the same era that the UK was doing an amp called the JAZZ/BLUES Combo 50] So, that is why 2 where covered in brown vinyde. Left overs...

ALL 7 amps did not run worth a hoot when they arrived, and we had to tech the hell out of them to get them up to par. 5 of the amp units were sold as MATAMP's and had a MATAMP badge placed on them here in the USA.
    The last 2 amps sat in archive, and then in 2004-2005 both were sold on eBay "as is" with the story posted that you are now reading.

The amp you bought was originally sold on EBAY with no badge. The buyer attained a HIWATT badge either from our eBay store, as we had 2 of them direct from the UK for other amp restore customers here in the USA, that were sent as wrong items. The person in the USA that bought your little combo put the HIWATT Badge on the amp.

The very same box I believe is still being copied by MATAMP UK and called a "chino" for some reason.

Your amp was not doubt a good value, and a great sounding amp, so you should be pleased. As far as it being built initially as a HIWATT badged item, it was not. I liked them because they were a simple outlay and one of the ONLY actual hardwire point to point rigs to leave the Huddersfield shop. Cathode Bias EL84 unit, and it has a great crank to it, and we modeled the tone close to MATAMP origin."

4. martinw

martinw Member

Perhaps you could have edited out the unnecessary libel and personal abuse? Note to mods: isn't this against forum rules?

The above is mostly inaccurate anyway. El Jefe, PM me if you want more info.

5. mockoman

mockoman Member

The insides (board & componants) do look a lot like my Music Ground Hiwatt,from 2005.

Sounds like there's more to this story...?

Cool amp,none the less.

6. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Fix'd. I wasn't away anyone would care, I just copied and pasted from the email I received. Sent you a PM, too. Nonetheless, why couldn't you just post the info here in the thread?

7. LZ_69

LZ_69 Member

There's bad blood between the two companies... and some of there customers want to passionately defend their brand...

8. El Jefe

El Jefe Member

Oh I know all about that feud, I just really didn't think anyone other than Jeff, Joel, and some of the stonerrock.com forum guys who had to wait longer than expected for their EA amps really cared. I guess I was wrong.

9. martinw

martinw Member

You're right, no-one should care.
    In which case I'm staying out.
    Enjoy the amp Logan, it looks a good 'un. :)