Information on Fender Jaguars?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by lemmiwinks, Sep 17, 2012.

1. lemmiwinks

lemmiwinks Member

Looking for information on the Fender Jaguar. I know strats, teles, jazz masters, but little about the jaguar.

What does it do? I know Curt played one.
    Does it have any build flaws, like the Jazzmaster bridge?

Who owns one? What do you think? Is it a totally different thing than other Fenders?

etc, etc, etc, ........?

2. jimbugg

jimbugg Supporting Member

Jaguars are the most awesome guitar Fender ever made. People who will acknowledge that are in the minority...but they're right ;)

Jags have nearly the same body a Jazzmasters, but they're short-scale (24" as opposed to 25.5") and have more Stratty single-coils, rather than the Jazzmaster's fatter, warmer pickups. In addition, it's switching system (two on/off switches, one for each pickup, and a bright switch which takes out some of the bass) make it a very unique and versatile guitar, IMO. The sound and feel aren't for everybody, but for some - like me - it's just about perfect.

I have the Johnny Marr Jag, which has updated the guitar in a lot of ways Jag players would like - Mustang bridge, Tele-style switch instead of the traditional switching layout, no rhythm circuit. I don't miss any of those features from my old Jag. It's also got bushings in the bridge an trem arm hole which keep those components from moving around too much. I can cop Strat and Tele sounds, but the Jag has it's own thing going for sure. The Johnny Marr model also has a thicker neck which some players, like myself, prefer to the thinner necks on traditional Jags.

In short, Jags are the best guitar Leo Fender ever dreamed up. Just sayin'

3. memiller

memiller Member

Same bridge as the Jazzmaster. Rip that thing right off and toss it in the garbage like every other guitarist that actually plays regularly instead of posting about vintage correct screwhole alignments. It's horrid, and requires way too much effort to set up compared to what you get from it.

There is a bit of a string tension issue with them being a short scale length and having almost no string angle behind the bridge. A buzz stop or heavier strings than you usually use will pretty much be necessary unless you do replace the bridge with something that doesn't suck.

Outside of that, they've become my favorite guitars. I have small hands and tendinitis so I was looking for something a bit more compact and it fits perfectly. I'm going to be replacing the bridge on mine soon, probably with an ABR. It really is a totally different feel from a Tele or Strat. Probably why I actually like them.

4. Rick N Boogie

Rick N Boogie Member

....they're also quite sexy looking.

5. tele118

tele118 Member

I prefer the jazzmaster due to jaguar's short scale, but thats just my preference. The jaguar compared to a jazzmaster is a bit brighter sounding, It has many switches for different tones(i never found that much use for them myself), its a single coil guitar (so is the jazzmaster), it has a bridge you wont find useful if youre going to play rock....or anything since they are meant for thick guage flatwounds (switch it out for a mustang, mastery, or tuneomatic), and unless you have original vintage pickups youll want to switch em out as well. The jaguar and jazzmaster are guitars that are notorius for needing a bit more extra care and a bit work. Once taken care of, they can be extremely versatile guitars that wont let you down. They cant be compared to any other guitar because they really have their own unique voices and have their own feel. Give one a shot ;)

6. jads57

jads57 Supporting Member

Latest Vintage Guitar Magazine has an article on the history, 50 years of the Fender Jaguar

7. RocksOff

RocksOff Member

Mastery bridge makes it all worthwhile.

8. danonbass

danonbass Member

+1000

I can't handle the vintage bridges on those things... And I don't even play super hard... :(

Otherwise, great guitars!

9. memiller

memiller Member

Imagine how much of a bitch I'm having. Heavy right hand with 2mm picks. New bridge is just a couple weeks away...

10. ennspek

ennspek Member

Wow, you deserve a medal! Long 2 weeks I bet.

11. tele118

tele118 Member

When i was waiting for my mastery, i just stopped playing altogether. Spent one day with the original bridge and was like, NO.

12. Ron Kirn

Ron Kirn Gold Supporting Member

They are like any beautiful lady, they don't have to do much more 'n look good, but if ya fine one that can do that AND is oh so "smart" … ya gotta "keeper….

I always thought the Jag was the most beautiful guitar Leo made…. and I Love the sound…

Ron Kirn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. tele118

tele118 Member

Man those Jags look good!! :drool Offsets are so damn sexy

14. Danny W.

Danny W. Member

15. GreenKnight18

GreenKnight18 Member

Check out OSG for sure. Jags are my favorite. Scale length is great, unique tones, more versatile than they get credit for.

16. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

I love jags. Check out my website in my signature, I have quite a few of them. FYI, the original bridges can be just fine too, just gotta know how to set one up. The Mastery is a quick fix, but I can make a stock one work just as well with a little work.

17. memiller

memiller Member

I can make a Pinto run as fast as a Ferrari with a little work too. That doesn't mean it is or ever was any good.

18. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I like what I call the "surf & spy" tone of a Jaguar...nothing else does it better. And all that beautiful chrome to boot.

19. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

20. joeybsyc

joeybsyc Member

Haters gonna hate. Fact is the factory bridge can work fine if you know how to set one up.