Inherent Vice....

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by urizen, May 27, 2015.

1. urizen

urizen Gold Supporting Member

... just dropped on Redbox, and I like most of Pynchon's novels (Gravity's Rainbow was a full-on work of genius, IMO) up to the last two (I haven't read Inherent Vice yet, btw), and I remembered it got decent or better reviews, so I rented it, started watching, and (as one of the film reviewers had said could happen) I was suddenly right back in that whole early/mid '70s SoCal beachestonersurferhippies milieu again (I was 18 in '71, and went through that approximate period amongst that batch of folk in San Diego's O.B. and its college "student ghettoes" and Huntington and its neighbors on up to Santa Monica)---that movie feels way too spot-on as a flashback/contact high.

Have any of you (former?) reprobates seen it yet and recognized a former self/existence?

Oh yeah, and what'd you think of it as a movie?

Adam Strange likes this.
  2. paranoid70

paranoid70 Member

I was born in 1970, so no flashbacks. But loved the movie - Josh Brolin was fantastic as the cop. And the random appearance by Martin Short! Man that was great.

I have only read Gravity's Rainbow and will admit I found that to be a bit of a slog. I enjoyed it for the most part, but at times I thought 'what the hell have I been reading for the last 10 pages?' I am not sure how Inherent Vice reads, but I'm curious now after seeing the movie.

Adam Strange likes this.
  3. KnowTalent

KnowTalent Just SAY NO to "Creamy" Distortion

The book is excellent as is "The Crying of Lot 49"

4. loudboy

loudboy Member

You could almost smell Joaquin Phoenix right thru the TV.

I watched it and dozed thru parts, watched it again w/the wife and enjoyed it a lot more.

5. urizen

Yeah, and Phoenix's over-exaggerated reaction shots occasionally put me in mind of the Fabulous Furry Freak Bros. Brolin's performance was a hoot too. And Katherine Waterston was not on my radar prior to this film at all (what a minx:drool). So many dead-pan little touches to savor (Bigfoot's wife chewing him out, his kid giving him a refill out of that fifth, his being a dynamo parody of Jack Webb's Joe Friday while also showing up as an extra in in the benign milquetoast banality of Adam 12 , and too many more to mention).

I liked it it I liked it a lot:aok !

6. jeff_lebowski

jeff_lebowski Member

LOVED that movie, saw it in the theater

need to see it again ASAP.

7. mdrake34

mdrake34 Member

Didn't realize it hit redbox yet, I need to pick it up.

8. Fishyfishfish

Fishyfishfish Member

Man I loved that movie. I watched it twice in a row just to make sure I didn't miss anything. "Go away little hippy, go away."

9. Peteyvee

Peteyvee Premium Platinum Member

I'll have to check it out. I have a free rental coupon for RedBox that's about to expire...

10. urizen

Thinking about the topic of the P.I. form (and noir conventions) that Pynchon was messing with, I had another flash(back) about another well-regarded author attempting something similarly absurdist---Richard Brautigan, in his novel Dreaming of Babylon (1977). Anyone in here ever read (or even hear of) that one?

11. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

I saw it last night. I found it mildly entertaining, but not enough to justify its 2.5 hr length.

Honestly, I think it suffered from some bad acting and was poorly cast. I've never much cared for Joaquin Phoenix, and I don't think he was really right for this role. I can think of a dozen other actors who could have nailed it.

The scenes with Martin Short were the best part of the movie. Benecio Del Toro was also good. Owen Wilson, not so much.

Besides, this movie has already been done, and done much better. It's called The Big Lebowski. (And Jeff Bridges would have made a fantastic Doc if he was a few years younger.)

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  12. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Paul Thomas Anderson is one of my favorite directors so I'm very curious about this one. I tried to get to the theater to see it, but it never worked out. The reviews seem mixed so I'm curious about what folks thought of it.

13. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

As a 70s period piece, it doesn't hold a candle to Boogie Nights. And as a "multiple plot threads come together" thing, it doesn't hold a candle to Magnolia. Clearly, Anderson is capable of better.

I think this critic sums it up pretty well:

harmonicator likes this.
  14. phoenix 7

phoenix 7 Silver Supporting Member

I happen to be reading the novel right now. Really fun book. Just bumped the movie to the top of my NetFlix queue.

Pete, you really should read the novel -- a very fun read and a must, I think, for anyone living around LA in the late 60's.

15. harmonicator

harmonicator Member

Made it half way through. I thought the retro look of the movie was cool, but that's about it. Nothing about the plot seemed to grab me, and I got tired of listening to what seemed like forced dialogue.

16. jaimo

jaimo Member

Are some of you sure you remember the late 60's, early 70's? Phoenix and his life style could have been a double for one my best friends from that time. I thought the film was genius and really captured that particular frame in time. You could almost smell the pot reeking off Phoenix, the incense in the room and how a hippie culture and the "establishment" were at odds with each other.
    Bud, in Texas, if you had long hair, you were a doper. That's what people thought, that's how things were.
    Guess you had to be there...

Adam Strange and bluesjunior like this.
  17. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Yes, I've tempered my expectations in light of what I've heard about it, but it's still a must watch for me. I differ in that I love Phoenix.

I was disappointed in The Master...I hope P.T.A. hasn't lost his way. My brother, whom I share similar taste with, hated The Master and was throughly bored. I ultimately didn't like it either, but I wasn't bored...I'm hoping there's enough in this one to keep me awake at least. Stellar cast anyhow. I'll try and remember to report back after I've viewed it.

18. Mike Anderson

Mike Anderson Member

If you love Phoenix, you'll probably love this film. I think he puts on a decent performance, but I just can't see him as not-Joaquin-Phoenix in it. (Seriously, "Her" left a really bad taste in my mouth, and I still haven't gotten rid of it.)

There are some other good performances too, in addition to Short and Del Toro. I think Reese Witherspoon is wonderful as the junior DA; Waterston is pretty good as the hippie femme fatale. Josh Brolin's character is sufficiently funny, but this performance comes nowhere near what he's capable of (see Llewelyn Moss).

I don't know why any serious director would cast Owen Wilson in anything semi-serious. He should stick to less-ambitious comedies (Starsky and Hutch was utterly hilarious).

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  19. aman74

aman74 Supporting Member

Oh wow, I loved Her. ;) Much more interesting ideas about A.I. then the recent Ex Machina, which was not a bad film, but nothing special.

phoenix 7 likes this.
  20. Bieling3

Bieling3 Member

It started off real good. Great cinematography the whole way, but as it went on (so I'm told) the edits needed to pare it down to 2 and half hours took away a lot from the story. I was real lost about 3/4 of the way through but even then it was enjoyable. Kinda like waking and baking and being in a daze all day and then starting to drink beers around 5 and being in blackout drive by 9.