Inherited a BC Rich st3, got some questions/ideas..

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by crimson on pink, Apr 6, 2015.

1. crimson on pink

crimson on pink Supporting Member

For my 30th bday, my grandparents passed down my dead uncles bc rich st3(superstrat with 2 s.c. and 1 hb, schaller trem) to me. I grew up playing this guitar and have always wanted it because of sentimental reasons. I am beyond honored to have it and I really want to rotate it into my usual arsenal of guitars. I love the feel of it, but I'm not so sold on its stock pickups. They just aren't my style. I was thinking about swapping pickups out to help make it a 'utility' guitar. Something that my p90 equipped guild and jazzblaster(wrhb) won't be able to cover.

Here are my ideas for it:

1.) I love danelectros and that middle strat pup sound. I was thinking about putting a lipstick in the neck, but I'm not sure if they can be put in this type of guitar? for the middle position, I was thinking about the glassiest, chimiest type of strat pup, something along the lines of dire straits. Thoughts on that?

2.) I'm not sure what to put in the bridge humbucker spot. I was thinking about a gretsch style pup like a filtertron. Again, not sure if it will fit into the guitar because of the schaller trem system. I'm not very familiar with the trem system besides I hated changing strings on it when I was younger. It hasn't had a string change since I last did it, prob when I was seventeen or so. haha. They are def. gross feeling.

3.) Can I lock the trem so I don't have to use the locking nut at the top? I don't ever plan on using the trem system on it.

4.) I'm also open to any other ideas for pickups. Like I said, I love the feel of the guitar. I was playing it yesterday and it brought back a bunch of memories of sitting in my grandparents basement, learning early Metallica records note for note. I really would like use this guitar on a record I'm slated to record in June and give a copy of it to my grandparents.

I also would to note, I don't want to have to mod the body, in case one day I would like to return it to stock. Thanks for reading and look forward to the replies!

2. Serenity

Serenity Member

3. Serenity

Serenity Member

....oh, and congratulations!

4. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

I have a ST-III. I love the neck. They made really good ones back then. I was thinking about putting two strat type pickups in the neck. Or something similar to what Malmsteen uses. In the bridge I put a F spaced super distortion. Although I think a JB might have been better. For the bridge I used five springs. When tuned up it works similarly to a block of wood.

5. crimson on pink

My only only regret on this guitar, and it's silly to think of it, is that because my uncle was getting huge into shred stuff in the early '80's, he traded a white 3 pup gibson sg custom my grandpa bought him for the bc rich. I COULD'VE HAD A VINTAGE SG CUSTOM!! But hey, it was my uncles choice and he got something that he liked better. My grandpa still gets pissed about it. Haha. I'll snap a pic of the bc rich when I get home from work. Thought I had one on my phone but nope. Thanks for the replies so far!

6. agquake

agquake Silver Supporting Member

If its a mid '80s US STIII, the bridge pickup should be a PAF Pro by Dimarzio. Also, the body is most likely poplar. I'd check what pickups come stock in the EBMM Steve Morse model (poplar), as he seems to get a nice, clear tone.

7. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Don't do any of that stuff you have in mind. It just won't turn out well. Accept the guitar for what it is.

8. crimson on pink

If that was the case, I wouldn't have put the h90 in my guild and its been my #1 for almost 9 years or swapped out a ton of stuff in my squier jmjm to make it a jazzblaster, which I love. Guitars are tools and I'd like to use this one. I might just swap out the single for something glassier. I mainly play on those on the bc rich.

9. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I understand the sentimental value of the guitar, but to be honest, I don't think they are very good instruments as far as sound. A pickup swap may help, and I'm sure you can find a mfgr that will do a lipstick-type in a strat mount format if you want to experiment.

10. Defendant

Defendant Member

If it's a floating floyd-style put a piece of wood between the trem block and body on the spring side, then tighten the springs. This will make the trem stable and make string changes bearable.

As far as pickups go, try and find a standard humbucker sized Filtertron to drop straight in. With the singles try lipsticks that drop in, or strat pickups wound to be like P90s.

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

The Super Distortion was an improvement upon the PAF Pro in my opinion.