Initial laquer coat to apply decal

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by bionic, Jan 3, 2018.

1. bionic

bionic Member

I am applying a decal on my headstock and just brushed on one thin coat of laquer before affixing the decal. How long should I wait for the laquer to gas off before sanding and then applying the decal before adding top coats?

2. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Depending on how nice a finish you're after, I'd recommend making sure there's at least enough of a film on there to provide a smooth surface, as any irregularities tend to telegraph through. It's a long process with nitro, as most of the carrier needs to blow off before you've got the actual film.

If it's just a few coats I'd say 4 days if using rattle can and a week or so with a gun - more carrier = more waiting time.

Whether it's under the decal or over, if you want a glassy film with no witness line at the decal's edge you're gonna need to be patient.

bionic likes this.
  3. bionic

bionic Member

I guess I'll wait the four days and give it a sand with 600 grit to get the initial coat smooth, put on the waterslide and then keep adding coats and wet sanding with 1200 grit until the decal is level with the rest of the laquer.

Chris Scott likes this.