Innovative approach to Control DMX stage lighting?

Discussion in 'Builder's & Retailer's Forum' started by Jubas, Dec 6, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Jubas

Jubas Member

Hi,

About a year ago I was looking for a solution to control stage lighting (something similar to a stomp or effects pedal) which would require a lighting engineer.

I didn't find what I was looking for. Being an experienced product owner with background on computer science and electronics I though: why not develop one?

Check it out at: www.dmxformusicians.com

I would really appreciate your feedback. Leave your comments at my facebook: https://www.facebook.com/dmxformusicians

regards,

2. JamonGrande

JamonGrande Supporting Member

Nice idea. A few immediate thoughts: will there be profiles for fixtures already available or preloaded, or would those need to be programmed? I know its tricky given the amount of fixtures out there, but I could also see that being one of the biggest setup issues for users looking for an "easy" solution. Somewhat related: would a PC/Mac/Tablet editor accompany it at a certain point? I personally think that editors aren't necessary, but it seems to be almost expected from most digital solutions these days.

joe

3. Jubas

Jubas Member

Hi Joe,

Thank you very much for your feedback.
    Both, there will be templates for specific HW ready available and there will be an option to build new a new configuration from existing generic fixtures.

An PC/Mobile app is also planned but not on an initial phase.

regards,
    Ricardo

4. treeofpain

treeofpain Supporting Member

I think video demos are imperative for a product like this.

5. Thor

Thor Member

This looks really cool, and I'm very interested. As noted above, would love some more info including video demo and price.

6. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

I think support for new instruments is vital, if you want to make the experience easier for musicians, they really can't design there own head files as they dont understand the instruments and the DMX. You will need to have a system like Chamsys uses for their headfiles, submit requests for new head files and they magically appear in your email a few hours hours later. I suppose they have been adding new instruments to their controller for years and do it faster and better than most anyone, but without that support I wouldn't access as many features quickly. And hassle-free time saving is where it is at, the point of your product. I love the look and design of the product, it could be a game changer for musicians that want decent lighting and don't want the hassle of learning the protocal and the availalble controlllers. I just have the feeling this may be expensive and hard to market, because there are so many crap lighting controllers that should not even exist and take up the bottom feeder market and so many people don't know the price point it takes to get into a decent control because they never come off $4-5k for a low end programmer board. I think it could crack the market if it comes in under $1500, there is very little that works well with movers and has a non mouse controller.