Input/Interface Devices?s

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by JMA, Feb 17, 2006.

1. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

Looking at either the Edirol UA-25 or the M-Audio Fast Track Pro. Would be using (for the time being) with a Mac G4 400Mhz and Garage Band. Both appear to CoreAudio compliant and each have have 2 XLR and MIDI I/O. Again, for the time being I'd just be using for song demos and such, but I'd like to be able to record drums (probably just 2 channel room sound type), amps, vox, acoustic instruments. Love to be able to use it with higher end digital recording software in the future. One thing I couldn't quite figure out is if either (or both) have Analog/Digital converters? Recommendations on either OR something else?

Thanks very much you folks have been very helpful
    Jon

2. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

i use an m-audio mobile-pre, nice beginner's set up. i'm sorry i'm not familiar w/the specific units you mentioned, but i'll tell ya what my recording buddy's told me...just get the d#mn mbox, its more expensive, but it's the best thing out there for its size & price. now, i don't know, & to be honest, i didn't want to spend $400+ on something i wasn't sure was gonna stick...i personally like the mobile-pre, but it doesn't have the most options, the best sound, or the ability to record the most hi-fi stuff, but it does it ok for me (for now). good luck!

3. TAVD

TAVD Guitar Player Gold Supporting Member

I have a UA-25 but it's not my primary means of recording. The mic preamps don't have enough headroom to be useful. Plan on using outboard preamps. Aside from that, the converters & headphone amp are decent enough. The direct monitor and mono sum switches are useful. The bus power is nice if you plan to do any mobile recording. Now for my disclaimer, I only use it as a digital i/o and occasionally for midi. I don't do any multi-track work or even scratch work with it.

4. JMA

JMA Supporting Member

Thanks very much, guys. I've thought about holding out for the MBox, but I've heard stories of set-up troubles with them as well. I'll keep looking and report back. Thanks again for the replies. - J

5. bobgoblin

bobgoblin Supporting Member

set-up troubles, do you have any more info? i ask because one of my buddys cautioned me that occasionally you buy stuff that's just a headache to get to talk to each other (usb mic/instrument interface, midi interface, certain programs, etc...) & said the mbox was not like that. i dunno, since i didn't buy one. i'm glad i didn't, too, they debuted the mbox2 shortly after i bought my m-audio, i woulda felt silly having bought the "old" model when the new was available. good luck!