input jack: am I mentally challenged?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ronster, Aug 21, 2008.

1. ronster

ronster Member

Just picked up a scratch & dent sale DD7 from MF (it has neither scratches nor dents). When I went to plug in, the 1/4 inch plug only went in a little over half way. All the other jacks on the unit accept the same plug just fine.

Anyone know what might cause this? Am I missing something simple, or is it defective?

2. mistercoffee1

mistercoffee1 Member

That must be where the "dent" is.

3. charmboy

charmboy Member

try taking it apart and checking to see if something is either blocking the jack, or maybe when of the jack prongs is bent... It should be obvious when you open it up... If not that, I'm stumped.

4. zachary vex

zachary vex Member

We've actually seen jacks with holes in them that were just a wee bit too small to stick the plug in all the way! All sorts of strange things happen with jacks that you'd be surprised by. The most common one is the missing insulator, which can cause the battery to be turned on all the time (causing excessive battery drain), or short out the signal completely.

5. ronster

ronster Member

thanks all. I'll look inside before I return it.

6. Adwex

Adwex Member

Gotta be something simple, and easy to replace. There's nothing really complicated about a jack, maybe the springy contact got bent and is in the way of the plug.