Input needed on Blues Jr. build.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mikey01, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Mikey01

Mikey01 Member

I bought a clean good used Fender Blues Jr, and in the process of giving it the BillM mods. I plan to extend the cabinet downward and make it a 2X10. Suggestions on two different sounding/playing speakers that would compliment each other? Would two 8 ohm in series or two 16 ohm in parallel be better? Suggestions? I will recover the amp in forest green vinal w/tan grill cloth and tan pipeing.

2. zaddn

zaddn Member

unless you are changing the output transformer, I would stick with an 8 ohm load. that would be the 16 ohm speakers in parallel

3. Mikey01

Mikey01 Member

Any other thoughts?

4. earthlydescent

earthlydescent Senior Member

zaddn is completely right. those transformers in the blues jr's are far too small for it's output. so first off, new transformers. secondly, i'd love to hear the billm mods with two celestion gold 10"s.

5. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

Imo, complementary speakers yields best results when both the speakers sound good, but different, independently. Trying to build a match on the premise that one will do the lows and one the highs (or a similar complementary action) is too difficult unless you have unlimited access to speakers.

6. Pietro

Pietro 2-Voice Guitar Junkie and All-Around Awesome Guy

I ran mine through a pair of tone tubby 10s and it sounded nice, but also sounded GREAT through a 4 x 10 16 ohm cabinet I used to use with it. I think that amp will sound better with 10s than with the 12.

I've since sold mine. It made any guitar sound okay but no guitar sound great.

7. Billm

Billm Member

Even the stock OT can drive a 4 ohm load without problems if you've done the power supply stiffening mod. Having the bias adjustable and set to a reasonable level also prevents overheating from the additional load imposed by an impedance mismatch. I've been doing that with my church amp for years--I've never bothered to bring it home to upgrade it to a bigger OT or one with 4 and 8 ohm taps.

Bigger iron sounds better, of course. But the effects of the impedance mismatch really only come into play when you're at full crank.