Input on Warren Haynes Les Paul?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Eric Pykala, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

The store I work at just got its first Gibson Warren Haynes Les Paul. I played it for a short time yesterday, and really liked it. The Burstbucker 1 and 2 I'm familiar with, having had them in my R9, and the Bradshaw unity-gain buffer circuit works really well. It's already detailed like I'd do it with the Tonepros hardware and Straplocks, I like the neck and the unique sunburst. What I don't get, and maybe I'm missing a point, is why it's so expensive. This is a Memphis, shorter-tenon plaintop that up here in Canada is pushing the four grand mark. For the same dough you could get a really nice Historic, albeit without the buffer, or something like a PRS Singlecut 245 with the full Artist Package. Please don't get me wrong; I really like the whole package, love Les Pauls, think Warren is my favorite hard-working player out there, but think this guitar is at least a grand over-priced. I played an ES339 right after it, a great Memphis guitar for $1800, and the right price for what it is.
    Any input from you Haynes owners, or am I just missing something? -Eric

2. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

I think it has to do with putting Haynes' name on it, really. You're right, though, despite the convenient features, it's a little overpriced for what it is. And yeah, Warren's pretty much the hardest working guitarist out there...him and Zakk Wylde (is it cool to like ZW here?)

3. Mark Kane

Mark Kane Silver Supporting Member

Eric, are you sure it's a standard with the short tenon? That's not what I've seen.

4. waynesmith

waynesmith Member

It has a long neck tenon. I owned #51 and it's the same specs as a historic. Pull out your neck p/u and you will see or call the Gibson Custom Shop for the specs.

5. Scott Cioe

Scott Cioe Member

It is an R8 with "upgrades".
    Whether or not those upgrades are what you desire and worth the extra cash, is up to you based on the individual guitar.

6. Mastervolume

Mastervolume Member

only if you outwardly pretend to hate him and john mayer. :D

7. Zemaitisguitar

Zemaitisguitar Silver Supporting Member

I'm one of the biggest Warren fan's out there and couldn't justify spending that kind of cash on a LP that doesn't have a nicer top. I don't understand why he didn't get a signature with a flame top to it...all his guitars have nice flames..

8. HurricaneJesus

HurricaneJesus Member

Well f&%* that guy, and f*&^ pinch harmonics!

Yeah, I also wondered why it didn't have flame since he's always got a few flamey LP's with him. But then we'd be talking about a 6-10k guitar.

9. cube

cube Member

its made in the Nashville Custom shop.

its one of the best sounding Les pauls i have ever played. the pickups don't sound like regular burstbuckers

10. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

It was the same thing with the Dickie Betts model and the reason I got so pissed at the company and Have not been a customer since. A basic no frills R7 with a $3000 screwed up Paint Job.

Gibson is NOT aimed at the Player anymore. Hasn't been since the early 90's. Its now aimed at the High end Music Lover/Listner with Money that can afford High end music souvenirs.

Dannyz likes this.
  11. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

Are you trying to say that Gibson Custom winds the Burst Buckers for that Guitar!!!? :roll:roll

12. cube

cube Member

nope not all, they just sound different,, it may be the line buffer..who really knows

13. bynt

bynt Member

Well f&%* that guy, and f*&^ pinch harmonics!

Yeah, I also wondered why it didn't have flame since he's always got a few flamey LP's with him. But then we'd be talking about a 6-10k guitar.

:bow:roll

Yeah, I can't justify the cash on that. It's a great idea but there are too many people on TGP that could do the buffer mod on a "regular" plain top for half the price.

14. gtraddict

gtraddict Member

I have to agree that when you are forking the money over the money as a a used car that you should get a guitar that looks exactly the one the person is know to play

15. Eric Pykala

Eric Pykala Member

Thanks for the replies guys. My facts may not be correct, which is the reason for this post. All over the Gibson site, whenever a guitar has a long tenon they seem to point it out. I assumed short tenon only by its omission. I'd understand the price a lot better if it was in fact a Nashville CS, like a players' R8.
    I played it again for a short while this morning, but still haven't had a chance to play it loud. Sounds really close to my old R9, and I really like the buffer onboard, as opposed to the one I have on my board. Just like the way the controls work with it. Really wish it was prettier; my other two PRSi and my Anderson are real lookers. You could get a really nice Artist Package PRS Singlecut 245 for the same dough, but there's just an undeniable certain "something" with a good Lester.
    I gotta just take the thing to a live show...here we go again...Eric

16. swimrunner

swimrunner Member

I like Zakk's first few albums with Ozzy, his solo acoustic album, and Pride and Glory. BLS sounds pretty lame to me though, with a few notable exceptions here and there (sorry off-topic).

17. DonW

DonW Velocity Town Angel Silver Supporting Member

I love Warren's chops and his gear. I've never quite been able to fathom a double signature Les Paul. I mean, it's a"Les Paul Model", right? Throw another name on there and my attention deficit goes through the roof!;):stir

18. cube

cube Member

It is from the Nashville Cs.

are they making any Lp's in Memphis?

19. playon

playon Supporting Member

Gibson makes plenty of guitars that you can gig with that cost less than a grand, like the faded series, some of which are really nice guitars. With the custom shop guitars, certainly they are aiming at guitar "aficionados" and collectors with some of the models... however lots of working players do actually use CS guitars too.

In 2008 dollars $4000 probably is around the same price that a Lester cost new in 1959. Of course the new Lester may not be quite as good but that's another story...

20. OldSchool

OldSchool Senior Member

That word , probably , is the one that's gonna get you in trouble. Know your facts before you state anything that ridiculous.

A average salary in 59 was about $5000.

A New Ford was about $2100-$4000.

http://www.fiftiesweb.com/pop/prices-1959.htm

Thats about the same as 2008. A New Ford starts at about $16,000- around $30,000. Average salary is around $36,000.

A New Les Paul Standard is anywhere from $2100-around $4000 in 2008.

If we listened to your logic , a $4000 back then would be around $30,000 today. :Spank

Dannyz likes this.