Inquiry... Best floating tremolo system - non-locking?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Macaroni, Jan 23, 2006.

1. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I'm thinking of changing the tremolo system on one of my custom Strat type guitars. Which system is best (non-locking), and do these systems require any additional routing or other modifications?

Thanks.

2. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

The original by Leo Fender. It's sounds great and looks cool. Big steel block on it and it stays in tune great if you learn a few techniques on how to keep it in tune. Totally possible to do ALL the crazy stunts and stay in good tune. Not just for shimmery stuff, like Gilmour or SRV, but great shred too. Doug Aldrich, early EVH, YJM etc..all use it too. Something much more magical about a player that can keep a stock strat trem in tune, than someone using locks and rollers and all that crap.

3. matte

matte Senior Member

I'm sold on the Wilkinson VS 50 on my Tyler. The Hipshot (Splatt's trem of choice) is also exceptional. I have one of the first new Gene Baker guitars coming with a Skyway in the next month of so. I'll be sure to post my impressions on that.

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Member

I like the Gotoh 1055 - unfortunately discontinued. I may be biased but the string spacing of 54 mm is perfect for my guitars without widening the neck to keep strings from falling off the fretboard. All steel, except the block and the best feel I've encountered.

5. Macaroni

Macaroni Member

I just read about the Skyway bridge/tremolo, and it sounds revolutionary. Are they available yet? How much?

6. Unburst

Unburst Member

Matte-What do you prefer about the Wilkinson to the Hipshot?

7. rooster

rooster Member

I had a Wilkinson on my Stratoid, but I pulled it and replaced it with an American Standard 2-stud trem. That one, with locking tuners, stays in tune perfectly. I would like a heavier/harder block, but I don't know if anyone makes an upgraded block for the standard trem, just the vintage.

AFAIK, I'm the only person I've met that liked the 2-stud Fender trem, though. Oh well.

rooster.

8. matte

matte Senior Member

I gave the wrong model number. It's a VS 300. I love the stamped saddles and the streamlined profile. It's the most fluid and stable trem I've used thus far. I'm going to replace the Goth trems on all my JGs with the VS 300. That's how sold I am on the bridge.

9. matte

matte Senior Member

The guitar got it's colour squirted last week. We're looking at 2-3 weeks out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Unburst

Unburst Member

Thanks for the info, big praise indeed.

11. MusicGearGuys

MusicGearGuys Member

Kahler has a new trem out that uses a roller nut and locking tuners I believe.

Gregory