• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

INSANE Deals on Randall MTS!!!!!

seanh303

If you've been thinking about giving MTS (Modular Tube System) a try, or getting back in to it, there's no better time than now. The line has been discontinued by U.S. Music, and the last remaining items have to be liquidated by April. There are some awesome deals going on right now. Basically Randall dealers have been authorized to give some awesome discounts in order to move this stuff for Randall. Lots of it will likely go down more, but if there is something you really want, you will have to decide between waiting for the price to drop more, or not taking the chance someone else will buy it by taking the plunge now.

They want the amps gone first so those are discounted the heaviest right now, which means a lot of the cabinets and individual modules aren't being dumped yet (that day is coming though!) Check out my thread on the MTS forum for links to some of the listings. You can also contact any Randall authorized dealer to get an idea of what's left in stock and pricing. Some items are with the dealers only, while others are at the Randall warehouses still (still sold through the dealers only). I thought I would post a link here so if anyone is interested you can take advantage and snag yourself a steal for one of the "last ones". U.S. Music first started liquidating this stuff at the end of the year, and I have been watching it closely and buying the crap out of it ever since. Prices have dropped lower than they ever have up to this point, and the stuff is definitely starting to move. I've kinda felt like I had a monopoly on finding these steals (the first sale was completely unadvertised and I found it online by complete accident) so I wanted to share the info with anyone who was interested in snatching up some scary cheap gear. I'M NOT A DEALER OR AFFILIATED WITH ANY COMPANY...just a guy who loves MTS amps and killer deals!!! Let me know if you have any questions

LINK TO MTS THREAD:
http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=14988

solitaire

Just curious, why is Randall dumping the modular line?
I think it clashed with Randall's image of a metal amp producer. Certainly the MTS modules were tweaked with the metal head in mind, but possibly too safe in large parts for that brand. Egnater will be taking over production though, and I would have liked it better if, say, Rocktron (the previous partner of Egnater's) had put the MTS series into production instead, which would still provide a wide distribution network to get the products out there.

seanh303

Just curious, why is Randall dumping the modular line?
There are obviously a few reasons, and I haven't seen any official word on this yet (i.e. a press release from U.S. Music) so take this with a grain of salt.

1.) Poor performance of the MTS line, mostly due to poor marketing of the product, and somewhat due to poor support. There were inherently some design and manufacturing issues with the line, as is the case with EVERY tube amp, computer, or basically any complex electrical devise. A lot of problems could be as simple to resolve as replacing a fuse or a capacitor or re-soldering a wire connection. The overall design is very well thought out and executed, but when those occasional flaws would surface a lot of the dealers ended up being more organized and effective at resolving issues for customers than the Mfr. But the dealers don't have the resources to implement permanent fixes in the form of design reforms in future production, and since the Mfr. wasn't handling a lot of the issues, they didn't have the foundation of information to ensure that necessary revisions were made to fortify critical components and eliminate common points of failure.

2.) U.S. Music is now the distributer for Marshall in the U.S. Marshall is still owned and operated from the U.K., but U.S. Music now represents the brand in the U.S. It is probably contradictory to marketing objectives to offer an all-tube amp which readily gives customers access to not only Marshall tones, but Soldano, Bogner, Fender, Mesa Boogie, and a plethora of others, at a lower price point, and all with the simple changing of a preamp module. The Randall MTS line was designed to compete with those big-name tube amp manufacturers, by putting virtually all of the tones they produce within reach, without having to buy a different amp for each one. While the stock modules do not sound exactly like the amps they are modeled after, it is unilaterally agreed that the aftermarket modified modules nail the tones precisely, so for people demanding an accurate representation of a boutique tone, they are still able to have at least 3 or 4 using an MTS amp and aftermarket modules, all for the price of a single Marshall, etc. tube amp.

3.) The technology is licensed from Egnator, so the combination of everything, including the contract to use Egnator's modular technology, makes the cost-to-benefit ratio of the MTS line impractical to continue.

4.) U.S. Music is probably taking a different direction with Randall, most likely toward more affordable solid-state amps.

Are there any reps from Randall or U.S. Music here? This is a pretty interesting topic the has a lot more implications than a few amps being sold at discount. A lot of hardcore Randall followers have probably been on cloud 9 with the MTS line the last few years, and will probably have some tough decisions to make soon. I have mixed feelings about U.S. Music right now. Every brand they've bought so far I absolutely love...Randall, Parker, Washburn, Eden, Marshall....but there are a few decisions I have difficulty accepting (namely farming production of long-standing lines of U.S. made products to China).

I would love to hear more official word from U.S. Music on some of the changes ahead for some of my favorite brands. Guess we'll see. Anyone got anything else to add?

chrisrocksusa

Maybe. I never gave them a chance, I dismissed it bc of the Randall name. Kinda like the Hyundai genesis (that luxury car if theirs)...it's still a Hyundai LOL

seanh303

The amps are made in China, but so are MacBooks and iphones. For the price, the stuff is amazing. For the most part, a lot of the design and component weaknesses have been identified by users, both on the amps and the modules. Even stock they work great, but often replacing a couple of the MiC capacators make them pretty much bullet proof.

That 50w head comes with spring reverb also. MTS are one of the easiest amps to change the tubes on, and easiest to bias also, so for the price of a few hundred for the right tubes and module, you can achieve an accurate representation of virtually any boutique tone, giving you access to a huge variety of different sounds at a fraction of the price of buying each one seperate.

As far as the cabinets go, the MTS series usuallly uses the same MiC Celestion speakers as are found in a lot of Marshalls. Some of the signature cabinets use the MiE Celestions. At least one cabinet I got so far as Celestion speakers made in the U.K., that are worth at least $100 more than what I paid for the cab, not to mention getting a super high-quality, void-free birch cabinet!

I'm looking to continue my purchases of this stuff. Maybe at some point if I decide there is a "Marshall" or "Soldano" or whatever sound I am getting that I absolutely love more than the others, I will buy that amp. To be able to experiment with so many tones while using and all-tube signal path, not digital modelling, is unbelievable for the price!

The lower end Marshalls are not necessarily better than the high-end Randall MTS stuff. Just because this is a "Mercedes" http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guit...00h-100w-tube-guitar-amp-head/583687002001000

doesn't make it better than this "Hyundai" http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/randall-rm100m-empty-3-module-100w-guitar-amp-head

and you can get the Randall for $500 right now brand new. Buying or not buying something based on brand alone makes no sense whatsoever. I could see not spending the same money on a Hyundai as you would on a Mercedes, even if the quality was comparable. But when you're getting the luxury full size from hynudai for the same money as the stripped down compact from mercedes, that's when you have to ask yourself what the better deal is. You have to take into account what you get for the price...the quality of the components, customer service, oh yeah, and what will my friends think?

Ugh

Silver Supporting Member
lol a marshall ma100 is not a mercedes.
I think his point was that the MA100 is made by Marshall - a perceived "upscale" brand, and that the MTS line is made by Randall - a perceived "lowscale" brand. I have to agree that buying something based only on its brand is a silly way to go.

seanh303

I think his point was that the MA100 is made by Marshall - a perceived "upscale" brand, and that the MTS line is made by Randall - a perceived "lowscale" brand. I have to agree that buying something based only on its brand is a silly way to go.
100% correct. Thanks Ugh!

A troll with no experience with the amps being discussed monopolizing the discussion. A purely internet phenomenon.
:rotflmao:rotflmao:rotflmao

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I wonder if it would be better to buy the Scott Ian amp, or an unloaded and the modules?
I don't particularly care for the look of the amp. Is the RM100 unloaded the same power section with depth knob and all that?

seanh303

I haven't been able to find a lot of info on the Scott Ian. I'm not big on the looks either. The Kirk Hammet is probably the best deal going. Is it the Scott Ian modules you are after? I think the power section is pretty much the same across the board for the RM100's. Some of the components vary between the models. The Kirk Hammet comes with JJ 6L6GC power tubes and Ruby High Grade 12AX7AC5 preamp tubes (in the modules I think). The Scott Ian comes with JJ EL34 power tubes and I'm not sure about the preamp setup. The regular RM100's come with JJ 6L6GC power tubes, and again, not sure about the preamp right now.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jj-electronics-6l6gc-power-vacuum-tube

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/jj-electronics-el34-power-vacuum-tube

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/ruby-ecc83-12ax7a-preamp-tube/212034000000000

http://www.amazon.com/Ruby-Tubes-12AX7AC5-12Ax7A-Tube/dp/B003B0D396

Obviously it's pretty straight forward to install a different set of tubes. Some great deals have been had for loaded Kirk Hammet, George Lynch, and Scott Ian signature amps, loaded with their signature modules, and also on regular loaded RM100's, loaded with regular stock modules.

LPMojoGL

Music Room Superstar
Silver Supporting Member
I guess, with the modules going for $250 each, it's best to just get the amp.
I've never purchased from Funky Munky, pretty good?
I suppose, with the 14 day return policy, the amp is worth checking out.

seanh303

Funky is terrific. The sale generated a ton of interest so some of the prices have gone back up the last couple days, but people have gotten some awesome deals from a few sellers. I can't pull up ebay on my computer right now, so let me know if this link works or not:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-RM1...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item484384831a

Check MusicLandCentral and Musician Heaven on ebay also, they have kicked out some awesome deals. There was an RM100 loaded with 3 stock modules for $809 + $49.99 shipped, and there was a RM100KH Kirk Hammet loaded with his signature modules listed for $999 + shipping. The MSRP on the loaded RM100 was $2,549.98. The MSRP on the RM100KH was $3,249.98, and they're both about the same price. Both are awesome deals. If you look up the MusicLandCentral or Musician's Heaven auctions, they might have a "Make an Offer" available for the unloaded RM100's. What are you thinking? Are you looking for a specific color?

RM100KH Kirk Hammet 100w Head LOADED: $999.00 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-RANDALL-RM100KH-KIRK-HAMMETT-SIGNATURE-SERIES-ALL-TUBE-AMP-HEAD-SALE-/180807719845?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a18fadba5

RM100MF Black Palamino 100w Head LOADED: $949.99 shipped http://www.ebay.com/itm/Randall-RM100-Rm100mf-w-fender-based-modules-tweed-blackface-deluxe-modules-/120847305466?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c230f8afa

Trending Topics

Top Bottom