Insane patch cable comparison

dunnoaname

This is definitely the most in depth patch cable comparison I've ever seen.
Good job Max Solo, thumbs up

What’s the tldr on that bad thomann boy?

I actually wached the whole thing. The tldr: some expensive cables have high capacitance (=bad mmkay). Some cheap cables have low capacitance. Longer cables have higher capacitance, suck more tone.

Some cheap cables are noisy. All cables with plastic plugs are exceptionally noisy. Stay away from EBS, warwick/rockboard and Thomann.

Some cables have high mechanical noise. Again the plastic plugs do very poorly in this test, as does the lava mini ultramafic.

If you watch only the last two minutes or so of the video you’ll see an overview of cables that are ‘safe to use’ and those that are likely to cause problems.

Byknfool

Silver Supporting Member
I actually wached the whole thing. The tldr: some expensive cables have high capacitance (=bad mmkay). Some cheap cables have low capacitance. Longer cables have higher capacitance, suck more tone.

Some cheap cables are noisy. All cables with plastic plugs are exceptionally noisy. Stay away from EBS, warwick/rockboard and Thomann.

Some cables have high mechanical noise. Again the plastic plugs do very poorly in this test, as does the lava mini ultramafic.

If you watch only the last two minutes or so of the video you’ll see an overview of cables that are ‘safe to use’ and those that are likely to cause problems.

Really interesting video. There's a summary document on the youtube site.

I have to say, I'm surprised with the ebs cables. I really like them and haven't noticed any problem.

drbob1

Gold Supporting Member
I can speak to the fact that objective testing and real world results may differ. I got some Quantum "high quality" cables a few years back-big juicy things with thick jackets. I needed some short cables so I broke one of them down to make a bunch of patch cables. I discovered that the coverage of the outer copper was poor, and when using them in a pedalboard without any kind of buffer on, they sucked a lot of high end. I actually had a mogami kit that got me the same results-really dark. Put a buffer in the first pedal in the chain, and all the problems went away and I'd be perfectly happy with either. So, yeah, most patch cables will work in any reasonably well thought out application. Still, mad props for being the guy who tested all this!

drive-south

The worst purchase I made in 2017 was a Joyo pedalboard cable kit. A complete waste of $60.

I've had the best results with Livewire short 6" cables on my pedalboard. These have blue shrink tubing. I've never had 1 fail.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
The "Trial By Stone" section is definitely worth watching. About 18 minutes in.
He cranks up a preamp pedal and connects a Small Stone to it. Small Stone not engaged and no input cable...you just listen to the noise it picks up.

dunnoaname

I've had the best results with Livewire short 6" cables on my pedalboard. These have blue shrink tubing. I've never had 1 fail.

That’s one important element the video does not take into account. The cheap Mooer patch cables I got sounded fine and were very flexible, but five of the six broke within a few months. Totally shoddy build quality.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I watched the setup and through the 6” actual measurement segment.

My initial reaction to the title was going to be about how most of the cables are probably the same few bulk materials with different branding and finishing.
I was glad to see so many other factors considered.

FbIsNotE

I really liked this video as it seems like a good real world test. I'm sure TGP will eventually pick it apart on some of the finer points of "science" but I think it's very informative practically.

Surprising results but one thing keeps being reinforced = The longer the cable, the more bad stuff you get (very generally).

It blows my mind all the threads in TGP that have people running 4 Cable Method (4CM) with FX loops cables from the amp all the way out to the pedal board. These runs are very often over 10 ft each way for a total length of 20+ feet. Many are closer to 40ft. I never heard of such a thing until I came to TGP!!!! Runs like that pretty much negate anything gained by the wiring in the pedal board IMHO. Stop doing this TGPers!

First golden rule of Audio gear of any type is "Keep the signal path as short as possible."

olgluefoot

Did he try them both way to find out which way the electrons flow better? :hide2 :D

Too bad to hear about the EBS patch cables. I've heard nothing but good things otherwise. I suppose its all depended on your personal rig. I still wanna try them out for my PT nano.

dunnoaname

Or just test your own. The interference, mechanical noise and the Stone test are good ones

Good idea, but you wouldn't be able to directly compare the results to the results the guy in the video is getting, since you can't replicate the conditions of his test exactly. So you'd need to test multiple cables yourself to see which of your candidates is best.

John Mark Painter

Gold Supporting Member
I think if you have a couple to compare, you’re good. And if you hear the LOUD noise, you’ll know that we’ll enough

Trending Topics

Top Bottom