Inside acoustic pedalboards

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by David MacNeill, Dec 6, 2019.

1. rickenbackerkid

rickenbackerkid Member

just a Radial Preamp/DI and a Boss Tuner for me. Guitars are a Lowden, old Gibson and a Weissenborn, with LR Baggs Lyric or K&K installed

David MacNeill likes this.
  2. OM Flyer

OM Flyer Member

My board consists of a tuner, volume pedal, Baggs PADI, reverb, and delay. Sometimes I run it all through an UltraSound amp with a DI, sometimes straight into the board. I use a Baggs Lyric internal mic.

3. RGB

RGB Supporting Member

Gigging guitars are; Emerald X20 with the full Anthem, Turner RS6 with the Timberline 18v system, CA Cargo with the Baggs Element. I also stomp on a Porchboard, which is why I use subs with my systems...otherwise I could get by with just tops.

Usually have a Stereo Wet V2 in the loop of the Para DI, but I was playing around with some Acoustic IRs when this pic was taken.

Guitars straight in to the Cali76 which also helps me to balance the different pickup systems, (the Anthem and Timberline both have lower output than the Baggs UST). Looper is in the loop on the loop pedal...:p...but I have the Infinity in the Emporium now because it's way overkill for my needs. A simple looper is all I really need...and I wouldn't use that much either.

I power the Para DI with phantom power from my Presonus 16.0.2 which runs either a CLR on a pole over a Mackie DLM12S or EV ETX18 sub and/or some QSC K10s as needed for the venue. Also have an original Bose L1 Classic double B1 system that works great for very intimate venues where the patrons are practically on top of you, but I actually prefer the CLR with the 12" sub for most of my shows. Set it up behind me and it has great feedback rejection so no monitors needed.

Getting a Trio+ to replace the Infinity for looping duties and for goofing around at home with the band.

4. Crowder

Crowder Dang Twangler Silver Supporting Member

guitarwrench and David MacNeill like this.
  5. David MacNeill

David MacNeill Supporting Member

Great to see more photos in this thread. I love to see how others have created Tetris-like solutions to spacing and routing. Gives me inspiration. Keep them coming!

6. edward

edward Supporting Member

Here's what I've used for many years. Gone through minor shifts here and there, but I've rocked this setup now for some time, and I think I'm settled here. It's on a small Gator board which I absolutely will not change because I want its size to limit me! :)

[​IMG]

Signal chain is pretty self explanatory. The OD is for occasional lead fills, intros, or a mildly dirty vibe. The Boss is set for "shimmer" so I have the HOF if I need legit reverb. The X4's "A" delay is my almost-always-on slapback for a "live" sound, preset C is long delay, B has lots of modulation.

Oh, and main acoustic is a Taylor DN with ES1.3, but occasionally will plug in one with
    another Taylor with ES2, or
    a 12string with ES1.2. The Baggs Venue is so good and so versatile, btw ...highly recommended.

Edward

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    David MacNeill and southpaw pete like this.
  7. edward

edward Supporting Member

Well said, and my goal, as well. A song or two may call for an obvious effect for a part of the song, but largely my acoustic tone is good acoustic tone. :)

Edward

David MacNeill and southpaw pete like this.
  8. rockabilly69

rockabilly69 Supporting Member

My main three gigging guitars are all equipped with original (made in Finland) XOM 2.2 B-Band systems.

The three giggers (all have the B-Band XOM 2.2 system)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The pedal boards....

my daily gigger pedal board (go to danweldon.com and look at my gig calendar)...

[​IMG]

my pedal board for when I use National resonators and one of my acoustics

[​IMG]

My pedalboard for harder blues/rock shows...

[​IMG]

I also do a lot of gigs where I add a small tube combo amp to blend dirty signals and reverb/trem tones with my clean acoustic tones. My Grace preamps have amp outputs that I route to the amp which is dirtied up a bit wit a Mythical Overdrive pedal.

[​IMG]

It took me much longer to dial a professional acoustic tone than it did electric, and then even more time to figure out how to get an electric tone into the mix while maintaining a fat clean acoustic tone.

Here I am opening for John Paul White (nice guy, great singer, great band) this last summer...

[​IMG]

Tim Bowen and David MacNeill like this.
  9. rockabilly69

why did you replace the Para EQ with a 10 band MXR??? I've had both and prefer the ParaEQ. Was it because it was hard to dial on stage with the little knobs and lettering?

10. Crowder

Yeah that was a big part of it. I also found that the frequencies I really needed to hone in on were ones that could be dialed out with the upper end of the low section *or* the lower end of the mid section. It seemed like I was always chasing my tail a little bit.

This was complicated by the width switches. I know what they do, but had trouble *hearing* the difference accurately. I felt like I was either cutting too much or too little all the time.

It's enough work to perform, entertain, run my own sound, etc. without feeling like the EQ was controlling my mind and not the other way around. I gave up a little surgical precision for the chance to relax a bit more.

11. rockabilly69

that totally makes sense, I still have one on one board, but I switched to the Grace Alix on my two other boards, which I found was way easier, especially with it's HP filter, which I use at every gig to carve out out the unneeded low end when fingerpicking. I also find the sweepable mid controls on the Grace are much easier to dial!

David MacNeill and Crowder like this.
  12. Crowder

Oh you had to go there did you?? :) I've heard the Grace stuff is great. If money was no object I'd be rocking a Felix and never looking back.

13. rockabilly69

Well this is The Gear Page :) If you don't have two pickups in your guitar why no just go with the Alix, the Felix doesn't have the 9 Volt accessory outlet:) But I do love the Felix, it is outstanding, both of them sound great. I have a bunch of really nice preamps in my studio (Manley, Neve, UA, etc), but I used the Felix on my Wurlitzer (blending one of the Wurly speakers miked with a SM57, with a Neumann M147 on a Victoria Regal II), check it out, listen to when the Wurly kicks in @ 24 sec mark...

Jerry, HeavyRevy and David MacNeill like this.
  14. Tim Bowen

Tim Bowen Member

· Larrivee LV-03E guitar w/ LR Baggs Element

· Larrivee D-03R high-strung guitar w/ early Fishman Matrix

· Michael Kelly Legacy FS-E mandolin w/ Fishman piezo

· Gold Tone EBM-5 electric banjo w/ bridge humbucker & stacked neck humbucker

· early 1960s six string Supro lap steel (D tuning) w/ unknown DiMarzio humbucker

--> Sonic Research ST-300 Mini Turbo Tuner > Menatone J.A.C. Mini optical compressor > Mosky MM Silver Overdrive > Mosky MM Silver Overdrive > Mooer Pure Boost > Mosky Blue Delay > Mosky Blue Delay > Joyo JF-318 Quattro delay

--> split signal:

a.) Phil Jones AG-100 CUB amp

b.) Mackie 808S powered mixer + Fender 12" mains *

* or house system for sound-supplied jobs

· Board powered by Truetone 1 Spot

· I turned a Voyager tool bag into a snug-fitting, foam-padded road case for the small pedal board. The Voyager bag houses the board, all cables, power supply, splitter, picks, capos, steel bars, egg shaker, kazoo, all other accessories.

https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-tool-bag-61467.html

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  15. redir

redir Member

I don't have a pic of mine but my guitar has a Fishman Matrix piezo from circa 2000 or so with a jack preamp. The pedal board goes Fishman Aura Spectrum DI - Boss EQ - EHX Compressor - Dano Cool Cat Chorus - Mod Tone Envelope Filter - Dunlop Uni-Vibe - Boss DD3 delay - and out into a Fishman Loudbox Artist amp.

The amp has delay/reverb/chorus but I like to have those on the floor in front of me.

16. HeavyRevy

HeavyRevy Member

I could listen to this all day! Outstanding!

Evitucci likes this.
  17. rockabilly69

Thank you very much!

HeavyRevy likes this.
  18. Evitucci

Evitucci Member

19. riffmeister

riffmeister Member

Fishman ToneDEQ for me. Input gain, 3 band EQ, compressor, phase switch, and foot switchable boost, chorus, and delay (or reverb). Powered by a rechargeable 9V battery. Been using this in my acoustic duo for the last year plus. Works very well. Delay stays on all the time, foot switches used to turn on/off chorus and boost as needed. The guitar (Taylor Academy 10e) is eq’d pretty well at the mixing board and the 3 band eq on the pedal is used to fine tune for the room. Very pleased with my setup!

20. Matt Sarad

Matt Sarad Member

I used a Shure microphone into a small pa. Sounded great. Now I use K&K pickups into a small pa. Sounds almost as good.